Huuuugh mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with Bees

Sue, maybe I wasn't clear with my first post. Take one of the printed copies of the returns in question, look at line 40 of the 2nd page, if there is number in there other than 5350, 10,700 or 7850 you are ALL right. I have had things like this happen to me and it makes me ask myself "What in the world am I doing". I agree with Bees the guy at Drake is probably a moron that doesn't know dipstick about taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
      This level of volumn is new to you and you need to make interview proceedure changes. For a new client doing a standard 1040 2 w-2s some int and div and a home should only take 1/2 hour. Keep conversation short, although you can mention the overload caused by the other preparers.

Repeat clients interview should last 15 minutes, no more, for the type return mentioned above. This 1/2 hour should let you complete the return and print it out.
      Are you kidding?? I have people that have farms, business, crops, several Sch Cs, foreign returns plus multi states. I just had a couple that left that had 9 states. The conversation is strictly on their return and printing out to move on to the next. Some want to talk about Aunt Jane and their aliments.
      How do you deal with people that want it 6 different ways? Kids on one return, kids off, put 1 on my return and 1 on his to get more money back that way?? Had several like that.
      I wish it only lasted half an hour for all then I would not be this pressured.

My personality is coming out in the worst way with some that want to back me up. Setting new people up is the hardest because of not knowing what they have. Any short cuts you can give me would be appreciated now other than tell them to go somewhere else. Thanks
      SueBaby

Comment

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
        Are you kidding?? I have people that have farms, business, crops, several Sch Cs, foreign returns plus multi states. I just had a couple that left that had 9 states. The conversation is strictly on their return and printing out to move on to the next. Some want to talk about Aunt Jane and their aliments.
        How do you deal with people that want it 6 different ways? Kids on one return, kids off, put 1 on my return and 1 on his to get more money back that way?? Had several like that.
        I wish it only lasted half an hour for all then I would not be this pressured.

My personality is coming out in the worst way with some that want to back me up. Setting new people up is the hardest because of not knowing what they have. Any short cuts you can give me would be appreciated now other than tell them to go somewhere else. Thanks
        I don't mind pressure, as long as I am getting "paid in full" for my time. Any client that normally has too much work for me during tax season, is pre-setup either monthly or quarterly. I refuse to have a 4 hour project plopped on me during tax season. This is totally uncalled for and require pre-tax season preparation. By the time tax seasons comes, it should be "line item totals" only. I don't care who does it, but it needs to be done before the interview.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        You said: "How do you deal with people that want it 6 different ways?" I only do the return the correct way, no "whichever" get the highest refunds, when it come to dependents.

I work hard for my clients but I do their return on my ground rules, not their's. If they don't like it, there is always the HIGHWAY.
        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Finally, my experience has shown me that pushy people always push preparers that don't charge enough. They have no consideration but for themselves. I hope you are looking at your fee structure with those types. Sometimes you are better off without them, especially since you now have lots of clients to pick from.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        You Asked: "Setting new people up is the hardest because of not knowing what they have. Any short cuts you can give me would be appreciated now other than tell them to go somewhere else." FOR this year in particular, I would just follow what was done on their 2006 layout. Are you saying that you are revaluating all information or are you talking about doing their bookkeeping??
        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well enough of my "Dutch Uncle" talk. Dutch Uncle means someone that has good intentions but sticks his nose in other peoples business.....Sorry.
        Last edited by BOB W; 02-17-2008, 04:35 PM.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I only do easy returns while they wait

I never do a business return while a client waits for me to prepare it...I always make sure that I have everything, carefully reviewing documents etc...A new business client takes longer in the interview...I call them when their return is ready for review and pick-up...Honestly, my nerves cannot take doing a business return on the spot, even for old clients...I need peace and quiet to make sure all is done correctly, and that I have given them the best tax advantages using various scenarios...for those of you that can do it in a half hour, I bow to you...Half hour returns are my w-2s with a sched A...Anyother forms (such as multiple stock transactions, selling their home, rentals etc) they come back...Yes it does mean late hours (I consider it the price I pay during filing season), but my nerves are calmer, knowing I took the time needed to cover all bases...Plus, I get to schedule more clients in a day...

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
            I don't mind pressure, as long as I am getting "paid in full" for my time. Any client that normally has too much work for me during tax season, is pre-setup either monthly or quarterly. I refuse to have a 4 hour project plopped on me during tax season. This is totally uncalled for and require pre-tax season preparation. By the time tax seasons comes, it should be "line item totals" only. I don't care who does it, but it needs to be done before the interview.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            You said: "How do you deal with people that want it 6 different ways?" I only do the return the correct way, no "whichever" get the highest refunds, when it come to dependents.

I work hard for my clients but I do their return on my ground rules, not their's. If they don't like it, there is always the HIGHWAY.

Finally, my experience has shown me that pushy people always push preparers that don't charge enough. They have no consideration but for themselves. I hope you are looking at your fee structure with those types. Sometimes you are better off without them, especially since you now have lots of clients to pick from.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            You Asked: "Setting new people up is the hardest because of not knowing what they have. Any short cuts you can give me would be appreciated now other than tell them to go somewhere else." FOR this year in particular, I would just follow what was done on their 2006 layout. Are you saying that you are revaluating all information or are you talking about doing their bookkeeping??

Well enough of my "Dutch Uncle" talk. Dutch Uncle means someone that has good intentions but sticks his nose in other peoples business.....Sorry.
            No bookkeeping thank goodness, I do ask for their last year taxes so I can look over and go by that if nothing is changed in job line. I make sure of SS#s for their kids that helps.

You are right the price is low what I go through and yes they will test me too. Like write out the check to pay me and THEN give me their kids W2. My patience this year has been on the line in trying to be nice and sometimes it is really hard on people. I have never seen this many in my life. Thank you very much for your suggestions and I am going to step up to the plate and do business and they don't like it----I will open the door for them. Then I will remember you for it. THANKS!!!!
            SueBaby

Comment

Originally posted by myerstaxes View Post
              I never do a business return while a client waits for me to prepare it...I always make sure that I have everything, carefully reviewing documents etc...A new business client takes longer in the interview...I call them when their return is ready for review and pick-up...Honestly, my nerves cannot take doing a business return on the spot, even for old clients...I need peace and quiet to make sure all is done correctly, and that I have given them the best tax advantages using various scenarios...for those of you that can do it in a half hour, I bow to you...Half hour returns are my w-2s with a sched A...Anyother forms (such as multiple stock transactions, selling their home, rentals etc) they come back...Yes it does mean late hours (I consider it the price I pay during filing season), but my nerves are calmer, knowing I took the time needed to cover all bases...Plus, I get to schedule more clients in a day...
              You are right too. I have to work late at night with peace and quite to do hard long ones and I do bow with people that do easy ones too. I hate to deal with people seveal times with problems so I try to get them one time. It takes a long time with 9-12 states and the paper will wallpaper my office whenever I print them off. It is hard and long but try not to see them again until next year. I have not seen an easy one in weeks.

Thank you for any info that I can use and my price will go up. By the way what would you charge for alot of states? If they have several Cs? I know I am way low. THANKS
              SueBaby

Comment

Kids returns> to me it is another tax return and I charge accordingly. Kids returns start at $50 and I add $5 per W-2.

By the way > I think $75- $100 per non-resident state is fair. OF COURSE IT DEPENDS ON THE COMPLEXITY OF THE RETURN.
                Last edited by BOB W; 02-18-2008, 09:30 AM.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I understand what you mean about not charging enough for what you go through. I think I post on here every year about it I've tried going up. Especially when I got a new customer who went to Liberty last year. They charged him $375 for a return I would charge $180. 1040, Schedule A, Several Rentals. That knocked me into reason. I can't really go up much on my existing customers but new ones I am.

I work late at night also. I have what seems to be strange working hours. 1pm to 9pm. I then take a hour break and start working again for several hours. I work better at night. I also work a few hours before I go to the office.

One thing I am not doing that I did in previous years was work on Sundays. You need atleast one day to get away from it if you can. It has helped my nerves alot. Take one day at a time and just do the best you can. I've had to learn that.

Comment

February is the hardest month in my opinion, not April. There are a large number of people that want their returns done during February.
                    I have a lot that are usually fairly easy but then some days everyone that comes in ends up with a problem and nothing gets finished. I HATE those days.
                    Since I have my grandson 2 days, I try not to schedule appointments on those days. Then on the other days, I will try to schedule as many clients on one day as I can. For example, I will schedule hourly appointments on Tuesday and try to leave another day more open so that I can work on the bigger returns or the s corps without distraction.
                    I end up doing a lot of late, late nights right now. Last week I went to bed around 2 every night. But it wears on you....last night I was going to work and just couldn't. I just vegged out in front of the TV and caught up on my shows.

So SueBaby, hang in there. I too have found that if I tell people that their return has some complicated issues this year and I want to make sure that the return is done correctly and so they get the best outcome they are willing to give me some time.

The other thing I do is if I know that some are not going to take very long but they are down the pile, I'll pull them out and get those finished. It makes you feel better just knowing that you have finished some. I make lists and then I can cross off things on my list and that makes me able to see that I am accomplishing something.

Hang in there.

Linda F

Comment

You are the Professional

Hi Sue,

Just remember you are the Professional. You set the pace and the tone for your office. Never let them see you sweat and run your office in a professional manner. You have been given great advice by the other professionals on this board, please take it.

You are very overwhelmed by it all and are not pacing yourself. You are allowing the customer to dictate how you run your office. Stop it! They need you. There will always be those that think they know more than you. Perhaps, but they are asking you to prepare their returns. Slow the pace. Exhale. Take a break. Now, do what you do best. Prepare tax returns in a way and a climate that's conducive to your better mental health.

We are all pulling for you.

Peachie

Comment

Originally posted by Peachie View Post
                        Hi Sue,

Just remember you are the Professional. You set the pace and the tone for your office. Never let them see you sweat and run your office in a professional manner. You have been given great advice by the other professionals on this board, please take it.

You are very overwhelmed by it all and are not pacing yourself. You are allowing the customer to dictate how you run your office. Stop it! They need you. There will always be those that think they know more than you. Perhaps, but they are asking you to prepare their returns. Slow the pace. Exhale. Take a break. Now, do what you do best. Prepare tax returns in a way and a climate that's conducive to your better mental health.

We are all pulling for you.

Peachie
                        Thank you very much because I have been mentally drain this year. Thanks for ALL the support I have gotten on this matte and others. I have wanted to throw the towels in so many times this year and be glad of it, but you people STOPPED me. Thanks you.
                        SueBaby

Comment

You may want to look at a new clients information when they come in for the interview and give them an estimate up front. Of course it will be subject change based on how ready their info is and several other issues. Look first at their 2006 return. Be right up front with them. If they don't like your price, they are out of your office> giving you time to work on what you have in house.

The last thing you need is to do the work and then get the non-payer or get grief about your bill. Estimate wisely. 1 time setups are a waste.
                          Last edited by BOB W; 02-18-2008, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Suebaby

I wonder how you ever come out on this mess?

Comment

No offense...but you really don't seem to be as busy as you said if you still have the time to write long post after long post here...<smiling face>

Comment

Working...
                              X