Huuuugh mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huuuugh mistake

I have transmitted sooo many returns and now I am finding out my button was NOT ON the Sch A and the Sch B. I have not noticed I have not printed this forms out with 8-12 people a day, I guess I got too busy. Now I have to go and amend all their returns whoever has Sch A or Sch B.
    I have never been so depressed and disappointed then now. My work is overwhelming now. Does anyone have an office to clean or someone to live with ?
    SueBaby

What button

are you talking about? Something in your software program?

Know how you feel. Found a mistake I made and have to amend a return but she also didn't bring me all the information so we both make a mistake.

Linda F

Comment

Perk up -- maybe all is not lost.

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
      I have transmitted sooo many returns and now I am finding out my button was NOT ON the Sch A and the Sch B. I have not noticed I have not printed this forms out with 8-12 people a day, I guess I got too busy. Now I have to go and amend all their returns whoever has Sch A or Sch B.
      I have never been so depressed and disappointed then now. My work is overwhelming now. Does anyone have an office to clean or someone to live with ?
      I don't think I'd amend, Susie-Q. All that will happen is that IRS will send them a letter (instead of their refund) in a few weeks saying that itemized deductions are unsupported and please send schedule A. They will bring you the letter, you can run off an A, have them sign the jurat, and send it back. As for the schedule B, I'm not too sure IRS will even bother with that non-essential form since they'll be getting 1099-INT forms from the banks later anyway.

I've never left off a schedule A, but I've left off the babysitting form (2441) numerous times and also a Schedule 4835 once. I've never amended for any omitted form -- IRS always simply writes and asks for it. I provided it and clients got their refunds.

There's going to be a delay of refund no matter what, but 1040X returns seem to be processed very slowly and I think it would take longer to get them a refund that way than simply waiting for the IRS "send us a form" letter. Meantime, when the clients call about not getting their money, tell them to call the IRS refund status number (800-829-1954). When they call you again saying there's a mistake on the return, tell them IRS will send them a notice and bring it to you as soon as they get it. Some will be mad about the delay, but them's the breaks, we all do dopey stuff sometimes, and they'll either get over it or they won't. If they're the type that doesn't, then you probably won't miss them too much anyway -- there's no shortage of gripe-gut customers (ask any tax preparer).

P.S. Sorry about the office cleaning, etc., but I'm already living with someone and she's doing that. Anyway, remember that clause in your insurance policy in case you signed up recently -- "No suicide for two years."
      Last edited by Black Bart; 02-15-2008, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Suebaby

You need to get away....trip to Florida might be in order.

Linda F

Comment

Likely not as Huuuuuuge as you thought

SueBaby,
          In your thread mentioned that you have transmitted those forms. To me it sounds like what you did wrong is to tell your software to NOT print the Sked A or B. That doesn't mean they were not created or transmitted to IRS and state. My guess is the IRS actually got those forms and all you have to do is print one to send out to the clients that were missing them (and maybe one for your file).

Mike

Comment

Agree

If it is in your computer and calculated correctly on the 1040 form, it probably did efile. My software puts a check mark by each forms that will efile. Does your software do that? The clients that mailed theirs in will probably get a letter requesting the forms.

Comment

Originally posted by dmj4 View Post
              If it is in your computer and calculated correctly on the 1040 form, it probably did efile. My software puts a check mark by each forms that will efile. Does your software do that? The clients that mailed theirs in will probably get a letter requesting the forms.
              My software (Drake) said if it is not checked and up to view the schs it is not e-filed to the IRS and to amend but I am calling the IRS Monday on this. This can be a workload I don't want to do. Plus people that owed did not take the A and B with them to pay. So that is a problem too. Nothing but problems this year. Thanks
              SueBaby

Comment

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
                My software (Drake) said if it is not checked and up to view the schs it is not e-filed to the IRS and to amend but I am calling the IRS Monday on this. This can be a workload I don't want to do. Plus people that owed did not take the A and B with them to pay. So that is a problem too. Nothing but problems this year. Thanks

Sounds like you need new software when you have to tell it what forms to efile?????????
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I use Drake this is news to me

I use Drake, and I am surprised at the fact you have to check some box to efile certain forms...This is only my second year, but I had no problems last year and I do not remember making any special selection to efile certain forms...Since I go no feedback from clients or IRS, then I suppose I have my program set up correctly. Can you tell me where this area is in the software, I sure would like to make sure that this year is set up correctly...

Comment

SueBaby,

Call me at 912-287-0780.

I have been using Drake Software a long time and may be able to help.

Lester

Comment

Something not right with your explanation

I've used Drake for 9 years now, and if a Sch A and/or Sch B is generated thru data entry, they will be a part of the efiled return. Unless you changed the Printer setup in the Setup Options from the defaults, it will send all relevant forms to the IRS. If you did that, well..........

why would you have done that?
                      "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

I've been using Drake for 11 years now. If you entered information on the A and B screen, unless you checked the force itemized box, the software will take the best result. It may be that the itemized did not amount to more than the standard amount.

I'm wondering if you have a setting in the display/print screen set so that it just doesn't show, but is figured into the return anyway. If the amount on line 40 on the form 1040 shows something other than the standard deduction, I cannot find anyway to prevent it from automatically figuring except to check the box Force Standard. Don't check either box on the A screen and the best way is taken.

LT
                        Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
                          I've been using Drake for 11 years now. If you entered information on the A and B screen, unless you checked the force itemized box, the software will take the best result. It may be that the itemized did not amount to more than the standard amount.

I'm wondering if you have a setting in the display/print screen set so that it just doesn't show, but is figured into the return anyway. If the amount on line 40 on the form 1040 shows something other than the standard deduction, I cannot find anyway to prevent it from automatically figuring except to check the box Force Standard. Don't check either box on the A screen and the best way is taken.

LT
                          Yeah, that is what I did. When set up I did ck A and B and Drake said NO, checking it means NO A and B. No ck mark is to have all forms. Whatever I did was not right this year. First time it has happen to me.
                          I am so overloaded this year---got a girl to answer phone and make appointments and she lasted 1 day---way toooo much pressure for her. She went back to Wal Mart to sell shoes. My husband took a leave of absent from his job to help me til April. Learn next year NOT to ck that box ever again!!! Thanks to all for your support as usual. Got to weed myself out of this somehow.
                          SueBaby

Comment

SueBaby,

I am so confused with your post.

I have under options and the forms tab a check mark on the Schedule A and B and everything is working fine.

I'm not comprehending where you have checked something that is causing the problem. One thing you can be sure of though is that you will not always get the right answer by calling support.

Tell us exactly where it is that you are talking about with these check marks.

Comment

Originally posted by quicksam View Post
                              SueBaby,

I am so confused with your post.

I have under options and the forms tab a check mark on the Schedule A and B and everything is working fine.

I'm not comprehending where you have checked something that is causing the problem. One thing you can be sure of though is that you will not always get the right answer by calling support.

Tell us exactly where it is that you are talking about with these check marks.
                              It is under set up and then options and I ck the box beside sch A and sch B, which Drake said NO ck marks on it for them to print. Why-- don't know never had before but never had hundreds of people either. So everyone with Drake never do that!! Thanks
                              SueBaby

Comment

Working...
                              X