tax software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Roberts

I actually went on the site and chatted with a rep. I asked if they sell taxworks and the guy responded by providing his phone number and ext and asking me to call him tomorrow. then, he said i misunderstood you and we are still in negociations with taxworks and immeditely ended the chat session. that kind of makes me suspicious.

Comment

Experience with Drake and TRX

At the time I used TRX I found their customer support more than acceptable. There were a lot of available hours and I don't think I was ever on hold more than half an hour or ended a call without my problem being solved. HOWEVER when I did leave them for Drake I got emails and phone calls wanting me back more often than weekly for two and a half years. It only slowed down when I complained to the CEO after many complaints to sales reps merely resulted in changes in who was contacting me.

Drake has absolutely great customer service, the best I have ever had for any product or service. They answer by the third ring with an agent who can usually help me but has further help at fingertips in the event they are in over their head. They even intelligently discuss tax theory.

Comment

That price sounds unusually high Ardi.

Originally posted by ardi600 View Post
        I actually went on the site and chatted with a rep. I asked if they sell taxworks and the guy responded by providing his phone number and ext and asking me to call him tomorrow. then, he said i misunderstood you and we are still in negociations with taxworks and immeditely ended the chat session. that kind of makes me suspicious.
        I use the TRX Pro 1040 package but not the 1065s, etc module. However, I don't think with the business modules and free e-files the price is more than $700. Maybe, take a look at that. My computer crashed and they have been a god send helping me get back to normalcy.

It's my understanding Pro 1040 is a Taxworks infrastructure somewhat.

Hope you find what you need.

Peachie

Comment

I was replying to FE's comment about having to paper file if purchasing pay-per-return. I efile and I use pay-per-return, so I didn't understand his comment.

I use ProSystem fx, so it's not in OP's budget. But, when I shopped for software, I shopped every demo out there and had e-file on my priority list and usually ended up with PPR pricing as the best for my small but assorted set of returns. So unless things have changed drastically in the last half dozen years, PPR and e-file should be a possibility for OP with just about any software he likes.

Comment

TRX Pro is TaxWorks with a rebranded look. They aren't allowed to advertise that it's TaxWorks though so you'll never get them to admit it's the same thing. I think it was around 2009 when they switched to Taxworks and the manual that year was literally the Taxworks manual. Before that they resold Intellitax (which I preferred).

About 2 years ago they signed up a deal with ATX to resell their software. One of their reps was advertising it on a message board for ATX and it violated the contract. I can assure you, they will not make that mistake twice.

TRX is also selling their own software that they bought - it used to be called Tax Expert. I purchased Tax Expert one year - HORRIFIC. Don't know where they are selling that now. If they relabeled TaxPro as that, I'll dump them.

Comment

Misquote

Originally posted by Lion View Post
              I was replying to FE's comment about having to paper file if purchasing pay-per-return. I efile and I use pay-per-return, so I didn't understand his comment.
              Not what I said at all....

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                Excellent point, but I'm not quite sure how much "ahead" that would put you now that the IRS for all intents and purposes has mandatory efiling in place for professional preparers.

I assume it might be possible to dodge a few IRS bullets and paper file (client does not want to, preparer does not want to, problems with this/that) some of the simpler returns. But even doing that now involves extra "work" to document, and why risk invoking the wrath of the IRS if perhaps they see a pattern developing?

FE
                Sorry, since you quoted me, I thought your comments re paper filing had to do with my quote re PPR.

Comment

Originally posted by ardi600 View Post
                  I actually talked to drake and the unlimited is around 1200. I do need that package since i do 1065, 1120, and 1120s. i was happy with taxworks but they told me to renew is around 1800. what is your overall experience with drake? how is their customer service? how their tech support?......
                  The customer service is excellent and someone answers the telephone right away. Most of the time you can post a question on the Drake Forum and get an answer, but in case you need to call them, they have, in my experience, always been able to help you take care of your problem.

Comment

I have used TRX for three years.

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
                    TRX Pro is TaxWorks with a rebranded look. They aren't allowed to advertise that it's TaxWorks though so you'll never get them to admit it's the same thing. I think it was around 2009 when they switched to Taxworks and the manual that year was literally the Taxworks manual. Before that they resold Intellitax (which I preferred).

About 2 years ago they signed up a deal with ATX to resell their software. One of their reps was advertising it on a message board for ATX and it violated the contract. I can assure you, they will not make that mistake twice.

TRX is also selling their own software that they bought - it used to be called Tax Expert. I purchased Tax Expert one year - HORRIFIC. Don't know where they are selling that now. If they relabeled TaxPro as that, I'll dump them.
                    I have been quite happy with their "rebranded" software though I was warned away, I have been quite happy with it. It provides me what I need for the clientele I serve. I know some have had problems, but I am not one. Have already renewed for next year.

For 10 years, I used TaxSlayer but I was paying for product I didn't need. TS is a very good product and customer service is great.

Peachie

Comment

My experience with Drake customer serv and tech support is a live person always answers on the 1st 3 rings, there is no voicemail. They are open till 9:00pm M-F and 5 on Sat. This level of customer service is nothing short of exceptional, I don't know how they do it. They are closed Sunday's as is many businesses, due to the owner's (Phil Drake) religious convictions, they honor's the Sabath. I have found their open till 9 5dpw and till 5 on Sat more than makes up for being closed Sundays. Many times I have called them on a weeknight around 8:50pm.

Comment

A lot of times the software company will raise rates to "fire" unprofitable customers. Low volume customers that require lots of support, or customers that don't do bank products (the cheaper softwares tend to make money off bank products - you'll know there's some profit there when sales people start asking you how many bank products you did last year. Some sales calls can end easily by the words "I don't do bank products".) It's not that they don't want you using their software, just that they don't want to be the one providing your support. Easier to sell to a service bureau who provides the support and then the service bureau sells to you.

TRX is one such service bureau. I know they sold IntelliTax back in the day and then moved to TaxWorks and I haven't been keeping up with it. You can get great prices, especially if you don't do bank products since those extra fees won't touch you. However, there's no guarantee as far as what software you'll really get typically. If TRX can't renew their license with TaxWorks they could end up getting something else. Maybe you sign up expecting TaxWorks and they end up delivering TaxWise. If you aren't picky about the software it's still a good deal. Low volume "starting out" tax offices do well with that sort of deal (as they do with pay per return options as well for software companies that offer such.)

There are others out there as well. IRS trade shows are a good way to find them and if they have demo machines you can see what software they're really selling. It's pretty hard to hide the fact TaxWorks is TaxWorks for example, if you know what TaxWorks looks like. Though often the version a service bureau sells may be more limited than the "pure" software. TaxWorks for example keeps it's function to convert 1120 to 1120S in it's name brand not in rebrands. You can probably find service bureaus selling most of the major softwares. I doubt any sell Lacerte, but Drake, TaxWorks, TaxSlayer probably have service bureaus.

Comment

Working...
                        X