tax software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax software

Any suggestion on a good software under 500 dollars or so? I have been using
    Taxworks which uses red gear technology but the price is getting steep. Their renewal
    Is 995 and it does not have asset manager which is an extra 700 bucks. Thanks

That's a challenge

Originally posted by ardi600 View Post
    Any suggestion on a good software under 500 dollars or so? I have been using Taxworks which uses red gear technology but the price is getting steep. Their renewal Is 995 and it does not have asset manager which is an extra 700 bucks. Thanks
    I doubt if you're going to get any software worth having for that price.

TaxAct did have 1040 professional/all states/unlimited efile (IRS/states) for around $560, but that "special" price is likely no longer available.

FE

Comment

TaxAct is $559

Unlimited Fed and state 1040 and e-file.

TaxAct Professional is designed for every CPA, accountant, and tax professional. E-file your federal and state tax returns using our professional tax filing services.
      Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

the price

I mentioned includes 1065 1020and 1020s as well

Comment

Software is not cheap

Originally posted by ardi600 View Post
          I mentioned includes 1065 1020and 1020s as well
          Where???

I don't think <$500 is a very realistic expectation for "professional" software that includes the various packages you seek.

The TaxAct link provided by appelman does show packages for additional products, viz their "business bundle," which includes 1065, 1120, and 1120S software. The "Enterprise" option provides a few extra bells & whistles.

FE

Comment

You also might want to price out the pay-per-return version of a software package you like.

Comment

Gotta pay to play

Originally posted by Lion View Post
              You also might want to price out the pay-per-return version of a software package you like.
              Excellent point, but I'm not quite sure how much "ahead" that would put you now that the IRS for all intents and purposes has mandatory efiling in place for professional preparers.

I assume it might be possible to dodge a few IRS bullets and paper file (client does not want to, preparer does not want to, problems with this/that) some of the simpler returns. But even doing that now involves extra "work" to document, and why risk invoking the wrath of the IRS if perhaps they see a pattern developing?

FE

Comment

E-file included

All pay-per-return packages I've seen include federal and state e-file. And Drake's pay-per-return is one per-return price for any of 1040, 1041, 1065, 1120, 1120-S.
                Last edited by appelman; 07-25-2012, 07:58 PM. Reason: Added info
                Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

I'm not sure what your looking for for 500 (1040's business, Efile, multi states?) but Drake is an incrediable value. I just switched to Drake April 16th after using Lacerte for 17 years and love Drake. I would not go back to using Lacerte, even if they gave me the software for free for the rest of my life. Lacerte is a good package, but just way overpriced for my needs.

Comment

I use pay-per-return but I e-file, of course. I don't understand your comment.

Comment

John in PA, did you look into ProSeries?

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
                      I'm not sure what your looking for for 500 (1040's business, Efile, multi states?) but Drake is an incrediable value. I just switched to Drake April 16th after using Lacerte for 17 years and love Drake. I would not go back to using Lacerte, even if they gave me the software for free for the rest of my life. Lacerte is a good package, but just way overpriced for my needs.
                      Did you evaluate ProSeries before choosing Drake? I understand both ProSeries and Lacerte are Intuit products except neither are compatible like TurboTax with ProSeries. One thing I found out Lacerte has that ProSeries does not have is a "cost basis tracker". My ProSeries renewal is going to cost me $1499 for unlimited e-files and states plus an approx. $50 each for 1120s, 1065 etc.

Comment

TRX Tax Alliance resells Taxworks. You can buy it for $399 per year plus $40 shipping and handling. At that price you can't efile corporates and partnerships but you get the software.

Since you already use Taxworks it's an easy transition. Can't guarantee they won't try and flip you to another software company in 2014 or beyond.

Maybe you were trying to get this response with your post and I fell for it. Don't know.

Comment

Lion, Depending on what your looking for (business returns and 1040's? unlimited) perhaps Drake's cost can be close to 500 or maybe the pay per return makes sense like appleman said. I'm just saying Drake is worth a phone call, it's a lot of software for the money. I paid 1100 for everything, unlimited 1040, busines returns, Efile , document Mgt. system, unlimited states, etc.

Comment

AZ-tax, I found ProSeries is almost as expensive as Lacerte becasue of the pay per return, which I do for business returns. Pro Series is a well liked package, I know. Drake told me they get many more conversions from Lacerte than they do from Pro Series.

Comment

@john

I actually talked to drake and the unlimited is around 1200. I do need that package since i do 1065, 1120, and 1120s. i was happy with taxworks but they told me to renew is around 1800. what is your overall experience with drake? how is their customer service? how their tech support?......

Comment

Working...
                              X