Clear All

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
    Have anyone had a problem with these "gifting clients"
    no

and have you ever tried to raise there fee for more complicate returns
    yes

or do you just let them slide with the same fee
    no

I'm usually very blessed to receive some gifts from clients, but this year has been unbelievable already. I'm at my desk snacking now on a fresh fruit bouquet from a client; I've already gotten homemade baked treats, thank you cards, a pretty necklace from someone's Hawaiian trip, couple boxes of chocolates, flowers. And thanks to reminders from Jiggers, Bees Knees, and others here, my fees aren't anywhere near cheap. Best gift is referrals (which I don't pay incentives for) and repeat business.

Originally posted by MAJ
    My dad passed away two years ago. I now am the owner of the original brief case that I carried as a kid.. It's right here at my feet for every preparation....
    That is beautiful!

Comment

Needed a good laugh

I haven't had anyone bring me a gift yet this year. I have in past years.

But I have had referrals like crazy already this year. One client brought 2 people in (although I didn't actually get a return this year but a promise of future business when his patent is approved and he starts production.
      another one is bringing brother in law with them. Another is sending son-in-law. Long time friends (3) are coming to me this year. One with an amended return too.

So I say, "Keep those gifts (referrals) comin'"

Linda

Comment

"Gifting" Clients

Have anyone had a problem with these "gifting clients" and have you ever tried to raise there fee for more complicate returns or do you just let them slide with the same fee.
        Yes, I do have a problem with one of them -- she makes such a (pick one--no; pick all) delicious/scrumptious/heavenly cocoanut pie that I can't quit doing her taxes for FREE.

So.....I'm hanging a memo on the refrigerator door: STOP ME BEFORE I EFILE AGAIN!!!

Comment

Well, the fee for this client

Have anyone had a problem with these "gifting clients" and have you ever tried to raise there fee for more complicate returns or do you just let them slide with the same fee.
          Well, the fee for this client actually went up about 30% this time (sold a rental house and also had energy credits for which I had to wade through receipts), and she knew that before she gave me the gift. She apparently understood, and I think the key is that she really wanted to give me a gift. Now, I know some yay-whos (sp?) give you stuff as an investment, IF you know what I mean...

Anyway, I try not to let the gifts influence my charges in any way. This woman was really blessed by giving ME something.
          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

You are making my eyes sweat

Originally posted by MAJ View Post
            I started doing taxes as a kid. Used to go with Dad to clients houses (that was 36 years ago). One of my Dad's clients used to pay him with Veal.... Did that for years.. Brings back lots of memories... No computes back then!! Hmm.. I wonder if Dad reported that barter transaction?

My dad passed away two years ago. I now am the owner of the original brief case that I carried as a kid.. It's right here at my feet for every preparation....
            That is the coolest thing! I know you are so proud of your Dad and that brief case. That is an awesome story.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
              Well, the fee for this client actually went up about 30% this time (sold a rental house and also had energy credits for which I had to wade through receipts), and she knew that before she gave me the gift. She apparently understood, and I think the key is that she really wanted to give me a gift. Now, I know some yay-whos (sp?) give you stuff as an investment, IF you know what I mean...

Anyway, I try not to let the gifts influence my charges in any way. This woman was really blessed by giving ME something.

I didn't mean to be a skeptic, but there are all kinds out there and I've had my share of clients bringing gifts, both good hearted and those with a plan in mind to soften up my fees or whatever.

I want to spend my money the way I see fit, not on something that I would never buy in the first place. So my apoligies to those "Good Hearted" clients and we wish we all had them all the time.
              Last edited by BOB W; 02-06-2010, 11:52 AM.
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I knew exactly what you meant, Bob

Hey, I agree with you, Bob. And, believe me, I've had some people to give me "gifts" that were just attempts to break me. It doesn't work either. I don't charge too much, and it really gets my goat when somebody pulls something like that or hints that my fee is too high.
                Last edited by RitaB; 02-06-2010, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X