Reading "Done" about extensions,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading "Done" about extensions,

I would just like to mention that sometimes mailed extensions get lost at the IRS site. Probably everyone efiles extensions now, but a few years ago when I was trying to renew my licensee I got put on hold for filing late. I called the IRS immediately after receiving the notice and explained that I filed a 4868 before 4/15 and then submitted my return in August of that year. They said they didn't have it and proof of mailing was on my shoulders. Well, nuts. I didn't sent it registered or anything. Plain mail. All I could do is fax a copy of the 4868 where I had hand written "mailed 4/13/xx". Eventually, after call after call and getting the local office involved did they send my renewal to me.
    So, if anyone files extensions by mail anymore, I would suggest they go to the post office and get a "proof of mailing" for $1.25. This post is just so you don't make the same mistake as I did.

Larry

I've done exactly what you did and have had just the opposite outcome. There was no record of one 4868 getting there (25 mailed that day) and I told the fellow to hold while I got the folder out and faxed it to him, they allowed it. Maybe, they shouldn't have, but that one and only time, they did. I explained to him that this is one of my highest fee clients and I would not jeopardize this by not filing the extension.

Just my luck that day I guess.

Dennis

Comment

I have mentioned this in the past

But two years in a row the IRS said an extension was not filed timely for the same client.

No more paper extensions for me after that.

Comment

extentions

One thing I did notice Monday when trying to file electronically a form 4868, I couldn't do it
        with my software without taxpayer's PIN #. I've yet to find out why.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Why on earth

would the software need a pin number for an extension?

Do you use Lacerte?

Comment

Looks like a signature of some kind (like practitioner PIN method) is required when using electronic funds withdraw on a 4868.

Comment

I just don't know.

Originally posted by veritas View Post
              would the software need a pin number for an extension?

Do you use Lacerte?
              So I put it on my "nice to check out" list after tax season.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I don't know about your software, but Drake does not require a pin for extensions.

LT
                Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
                  I don't know about your software, but Drake does not require a pin for extensions.

LT
                  Is that true even when they are doing an direct debit payment with the 4868?

Comment

Sorry - Don't know. I have not had the situation.
                    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

E-file needs Form 8878 with extension

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
                      Is that true even when they are doing an direct debit payment with the 4868?
                      So far as I know, Form 8878 (as opposed to Form 8879 for regular filing) is a requirement for any electronically filed extension.

Fortunately I did not have to do that many extensions, but Form 8878 popped up whether there was a payment being made or not. Part II of the form seems fairly clear, at least to me, in its verbiage.

FE

Comment

ahah!

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                        So far as I know, Form 8878 (as opposed to Form 8879 for regular filing) is a requirement for any electronically filed extension.

Fortunately I did not have to do that many extensions, but Form 8878 popped up whether there was a payment being made or not. Part II of the form seems fairly clear, at least to me, in its verbiage.

FE
                        Then that jibes with what i saw. If this is official IRS policy now, as opposed to
                        software differences, the day is past when a preparer can unilaterally file extensions
                        willy nilly.

oh; apologies to Willie.
                        ChEAr$,
                        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post

FE

Page 2 on the left column seems fairly clear to me. It has a "When and How To Complete" chart.

If not authorizing an electronic funds withdrawal it says "Do not complete Form 8878." So it looks like the form is necessary only when doing a direct debit to pay.

Comment

That's the way I read it also...

Willy - nilly extensions on the way! (Couldn't resist, Chear$) LOL

Comment

Think I will (would have) stuck with 8878

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
                              http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8878.pdf
                              Page 2 on the left column seems fairly clear to me. It has a "When and How To Complete" chart.

If not authorizing an electronic funds withdrawal it says "Do not complete Form 8878." So it looks like the form is necessary only when doing a direct debit to pay.
                              Since I DO use the "Practitioner PIN method" for all e-files and extensions (owing or not owing) I believe I will just keep using the Form 8878 and duly insert the DCN at the top of the retained form.

Outwest does have a point, in that apparently you still can "willy nilly" the "I've paid enough so leave me alone" extensions for a client. (But what if your software asks for a client PIN prior to transmission?? Telepathic communications with my computer, perhaps!)

I feel certain that by the 2009 tax season the IRS will have changed all of the rules anyway, or at least worked on some of the wording just above the referenced chart.

FE

Comment

Working...
                              X