Employer Identification Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employer Identification Number

Request information on a good EIN look up program. Resonable rate if at all possible.

Originally posted by Kong View Post
    Request information on a good EIN look up program. Resonable rate if at all possible.
    Are you talking about a database of EINs that you can look up the business that has a certain number? Never heard of such, and the IRS will NOT share that information. They will confirm a number is valid, and confirm if you have the company name, but you can't call up and ask who the number belongs to.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Taxmandan

Yes Sir Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
        Yes Sir Exactly.
        Yes, sir, exactly what? Which type of 'lookup' are you inquiring about?

Comment

Betrans I'll explain

Client bring's in last check stub year to date earnings and withholding. Check Stub lacks Employer Identitfication number. Wants to e-file. I need a database that I can have access to which would allow me to do a inquiry, by company name or phone number.

I have already reached former employer(s) and they will not cooperate. Their is EIN Finder but at $700.00 plus for six months, its to expensive.

Before someone brings to my attention that I need to produce substitute W-2 form. I got it.

I am only asking for advise on EIN database program. Thank very much.

Comment

The way to do it

is to prepare the substitute wage statement without the number and then
            paper file the tax return.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
              is to prepare the substitute wage statement without the number and then
              paper file the tax return.
              Can you e-file with that?

Comment

Can a company withhold the EIN on the W-2 they give employees. I would think that they would be required to do so.
                Maybe you should call the fraud division of IRS and tell them this company won't give EIN to employee and see what they suggest you do.

Linda F

Comment

Nope

Originally posted by bertrans View Post
                  Can you e-file with that?
                  Since the eIN is required for efiling, that is why I said he would have to paper file the return.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

It seems that in this case

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                    Can a company withhold the EIN on the W-2 they give employees. I would think that they would be required to do so.
                    Maybe you should call the fraud division of IRS and tell them this company won't give EIN to employee and see what they suggest you do.

Linda F
                    There was no W2 atall. Either client lost it, employer didn't furnish it, maybe it got lost in the mail and employer refuses to send another one.

Or maybe employer had the W2 available for pickup, but taxpayer thought they ought to mail it,
                    (which they are not required to do!) and balked.

Would be interesting for Kong to tell us.
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Why

Why doesn't the t/p have the W-2 form? If he doesn't have the W-2 form, why can he not obtain a duplicate from the employer?

Why is the employer being so secretive and either issuing a duplicate W-2 form or providing the necessary information?

Sandy

Comment

Might try your on-line state corporation data base. I know in Florida (sunbiz.org) you can find any corp doing business in the state and most have the EIN listed. I have been successful looking in other states in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
                          Are you talking about a database of EINs that you can look up the business that has a certain number? Never heard of such, and the IRS will NOT share that information. They will confirm a number is valid, and confirm if you have the company name, but you can't call up and ask who the number belongs to.
                          I did exactly that once, but I called the state. We had the EIN for some reason but not the name of the company, and the client needed to get a W-2 from them. (It was a student who had so many jobs, she couldn't remember who it was, or perhaps the corp name was so different she didn't recognize it.) I think it was a fast food place. They told me who it was and we got the W-2 after she figured out who she need to contact.

Comment

Working...
                          X