Flight lessons for business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DTS View Post
    I know that no one was proposing this is some shady deduction. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew this was not the case when I asked my original question.

It may be best to deduct the costs as they occur in the future and not get into this "gray" area. I believe my client would be more comfortable with that rather than the lesson costs.

Thanks, again!

Dennis
    Dennis, you sound like a good, ethical, responsible tax preparer. If you decide this is a "gray" area with a less than 50% chance of success under audit, I would only take the deduction with disclosure. Once your client is advised of the disclosure rules, my guess is he'll want to forgo the deduction. Flight training isn't a few bucks. It's thousands of dollars. Good luck. Let us know how this turns out.

Comment

Zee, thank you!

I am going to pose your questions to him in a few days and will let you know what I find out.

This is one of those conversations where the client was thinking, we're thinking out loud and it goes from there! I tend to be a bit aggressive sometimes, but not so aggressive that I want to be on the side of a losing battle.

I will get more info and be back in touch.

Dennis

Comment

Working...
      X