Off-topic: Windows updates, IE crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-topic: Windows updates, IE crashing

Sorry for the off-topic, but many of you know computers so well I though I would ask you if any of you are having trouble with IE crashing after you get critical updates from MS?

I have tried to do this twice and each time I go into IE, I get this error message and it shuts down, no access. I then go in and do a system restore and when I go back into Windows Updates, all the previously installed updates are ready to be downloaded and installed, again. However, now I can then access IE with no problem.

Obviously, there is a problem with one of these updates. Do you know which one so I don't install it?

Any help with this would be great!

Dennis

Dennis> Did you reboot your computer after the update? If not > reboot.

There are many other issues but I always start with rebooting.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Dennis,

you have to take your finger off the "escape" button. Then you should be ok.

Comment

Reboot

Bob,

Yes, I did do that, as well as a defrag.

Comment

Larry

If it were just that simple!

Comment

Dennis your light is not lighting up. It shows that you are not logged in on the board.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Light

I'm lurking, just in private!!

Dennis

Comment

IE Problem

What version of IE are you running?

7?

If so, that is the problem.

I loaded it, had all sorts of problems.

I called my server and they said don't load it. I had to delete from my computer, and all is fine now.
                Jiggers, EA

Comment

Jiggers

IE6. I've known for some time not to install 7. How did you get 7 off your computer? I heard that even with a hammer and chisel you cannot remove it once it's in.

Actually, I went in again and reinstalled the updates, did another reboot and everything seems to be working OK. Very strange!

Maybe, it needed a trial-run.

Thank you all for the help.

Dennis
                  Last edited by DTS; 01-25-2008, 06:13 PM. Reason: add'l question

Comment

IE = Internet Explorer

Yes DTS, there are some people out there who are where you and I were once, and are frustrated in not knowing what IE stands for. I have not had the crash problem, but I have my share of others, most recently Quickbooks 2008 taking over an hour to install and register (having to call twice) , when Lacerte takes all of 3 minutes. Many Happy Returns to all.

Comment

I uninstalled IE 7 in an attempt to register QuickBooks. Didn't work so I went into safemode and was able to register.

You can uninstall security updates for windows also. Go to the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs and then check at the top "show updates". You can then remove them if you like to see which one is causing the problem.

Comment

Computer problems.

Originally posted by DTS View Post
                        Sorry for the off-topic, but many of you know computers so well I though I would ask you if any of you are having trouble with IE crashing after you get critical updates from MS?

I have tried to do this twice and each time I go into IE, I get this error message and it shuts down, no access. I then go in and do a system restore and when I go back into Windows Updates, all the previously installed updates are ready to be downloaded and installed, again. However, now I can then access IE with no problem.

Obviously, there is a problem with one of these updates. Do you know which one so I don't install it?

Any help with this would be great!

Dennis
                        Everytime I tried to install Service pack 2, it didn't work and I had to uninstall it. Finally my efforts to get the computer working properly caused it to quit working altogether.

I took it to Micro Center and they backed up my data, reformatted my hard disk and upgraded me from the home edition to XP Pro. Now the computer works like new.

It's like buying a brand new computer for around $ 250 which includes the external hard disk.

Comment

Updates

After a few hours of internet access and everything appearing normal, the stupid updates started acting up, again and no internet. I just deleted them as Dany suggested and will wait for MS to find a fix for this. I know I'm not the only person having this trouble with these updates, so they'll hear about it from users!

Thanks,

Dennis

Comment

Problems

Originally posted by DTS View Post
                            After a few hours of internet access and everything appearing normal, the stupid updates started acting up, again and no internet. I just deleted them as Dany suggested and will wait for MS to find a fix for this. I know I'm not the only person having this trouble with these updates, so they'll hear about it from users!

Thanks,

Dennis
                            Back last Spring, I installed some updates which caused Word and Excel to crash every time I opened them. I used the restore point feature in XP to remove the updates. After about a week or so, Microsoft finally admitted there was a problem with one of the updates if you had an HP scanner attached to your computer. They issued a fix, but for several months I never installed the updates the same day they were released. You might try going to Microsoft's website and searching the support site or the community forums to see if someone has reported the same problem.

Comment

No Problems

I have my computer set to get update automatically and I haven't any problems so far. If you are using Norton that could be the problem. I have a HP all-in-one connected as well, I use XP pro and windows onecare. Hope you get it fixed this is a bad time for trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X