Does THE TAX BOOK have 990 Tax Exempts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does THE TAX BOOK have 990 Tax Exempts

Does The Tax Book Deluxe include 990 Exempt Organizations for the new upcoming 2007 year? Anyone know. It's a great book already, that would just make it even greater.

There is summary information about filing for tax-exempt organizations on pages 22-7 through 22-9 of the 2006 Deluxe Edition. There will be expanded coverage in the 2007 edition, with specific information regarding the redesigned Form 990.

Are there any specific issues you'd like to see addressed? No guarantees, but the issues discussed on this forum do influence our decisions about new information to include in our publications.

Comment

separate Tab

I would be looking for a separate 990 TAB similar to what QF small business has. No specific area, but I do prepare 990's and have been buying QF Small Business in addition to TTB Deluxe soley for that 990 tab. I'd rather only buy TTB Deluxe.

Comment

990 Exempt Info in TTB

It's a good thing that someone asked for this, as I do a number of tax exempt organization clients and would appreciate having a handy reference guide.
        Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

It would be nice

I did my first 990 last year, for a small tax-exempt. I had to do a lot of searching on the IRS site. It would be nice if a tab was included.

Comment

990 Ez

I have 3-5 which are 990 EZ forms, but it would be nice for some reference material to relate to.

TMI/TB keep up the great work. I am sure we all look forward to the expanded reference material.

Sandy

Comment

The Deluxe Edition is a 500 page book that provides summary information on a wide range of topics. It is by far the most extensive and all inclusive printed product on the market today in its price range. There is very little information currently covered in the book that warrants deletion simply to make room for an entire Tab section on 990 returns. What topic, for example, would you like us to cut back on in favor of Exempt Organizations? Do we provide too much information on payroll taxes, partnerships, corporations, estates, or gift tax returns?

Of course it is important to those of you who do 990 returns, but the same could be said for Form 5500, 2555, and 1120-H.

The expanded coverage Paul is talking about will be found in the new Small Business Edition of TheTaxBook. The combination of the 1040 Edition and the Small Business Edition will total 640 pages (compared to 500 pages in the Deluxe). Both the 1040 Edition and Small Business Editions of TheTaxBook will exceed coverage found in our competitor’s products, although topic for topic will not necessarily be identical coverage. For example, I personally do not feel like wasting the page count our competitor wastes on Oil and Gas wells, as I don’t have, nor do the majority of you have Oil and Gas well clients. Although if you do happen to be the 0.01% of tax professionals who have Oil and Gas producers as clients, I suppose you would appreciate our competitors coverage on the subject over ours.

It is a judgment call as to which topics will have expanded coverage, and which topics will have summary information.

If you prefer the Deluxe Book over buying two separate books, I suggest you purchase the Deluxe Book and the WebCD. The WebCD will contain both the 1040 Edition and the Small Business Edition of TheTaxBook. The WebCD will also provide direct links to IRS publications, instructions, and other government documents that provide complete coverage on any given topic. Using TheTaxBook WebCD as a portal to IRS publications and instructions, you will find answers to any topic with more extensive coverage than we could ever cram into TheTaxBook printed products. It also makes sense to use the WebCD for your more in depth research on obscure tax topics such as Form 990, as that leaves more room in our printed publications to provide extensive coverage on the most common topics, such as filing Form 1040, 1041, 1065, 1120, 1120S, 941, and so on.

Comment

Ty

Brad,
                thank you for the explanation, in a nutshell, we don't get a tab on 990 because you have to draw the line somewhere of the Deluxe book will end up being 2 volumnes. Disappointed, but understood. I agree on the other topics TTB is the better book.

Comment

TTB-Exempts

Would it be feasible to poll TTB users to see if there would be adequate demand for printing a book just for 990's?
                  Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

I personally would be interested, but if it is going to be a whole book, I would like to see it cover the whole tax exempt issue and not just 990's. I would not necessarily want to replace it every year, but a good resource book that covered the Application for Exemption, the Annual Return, UBTI, and other issues such as PAC's, etc. would be valuable to me. If anyone knows of a good resource book on this topic, I would love to find it. Thanks.

Comment

Tax Ecempts

I would like to see more on Tax Exempts.
                      Jiggers, EA

Comment

I too would like more 990 information
                        Noel
                        "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde

Comment

A Book on Non-Profits

This is not really a recommendation because I haven't bought the book myself, but here's a link to something I ran across while looking into resources for preparing the 990. It seems a bit pricey but who am I to judge?

I'm posting this link as a "for-what-it's-worth" only. Caveat emptor & all that other stuff...

-Deleted Link-

Sorry about that. We don't allow links to other sites advertising research publications. -Editor

I should have thought before posting the link on your site.
                          Just want you to know I wasn't trying to shill for them.
                          I apologize for the oversight on my part.
                          Last edited by JohnH; 09-10-2007, 06:12 PM. Reason: Delete commercial link
                          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Rather than spend mega bucks on a 990 book, use the link provided in the WebCD. TTB page 22-7 will give you a link to IRS Pub 557, a FREE 63 page publication giving you the most authoritative research information available for Tax Exempts. TTB, page 22-7 also provides instant links to other IRS information on Tax Exempts, such as information on applying for exempt status (instructions for Form 1023 and 1024), and unrelated business income tax (instructions for Form 990-T)

Comment

Too cumbersome and time consuming

BN,
                              For the same reason I like TTB for other topics, is why I would like it with a 990 tab. Jumping to WebCD and going through a dozen screens, for me, is too time consuming and cumbersome. If were not, then I would be using WebCD for all research; I prefer TTB concept; but I do understand that a limit has to be drawn on topics (though is sounds like many people are interested in the 990 tab). How about a "Super Deluxe" TTB; bigger that includes 990's 5500's and maby a few other topics; then those who want these topics will pay more for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X