IRS Info gathering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Info gathering

I wonder if the IRS has ever called any of you for information? I just got a call about an amended I did for 2005. Does this sound strange to anyone besides me?

How do you know it was the IRS?

Comment

Sounds strange to me. I would get their name, ID #, phone number and call the client about it.

After having read a few posts on the board here I am not giving out any info/copies of tax returns unless a customer signs a release form. I have in the past when the customer was doing a refinance on a home and called wanting me to fax a copy to the mortgage company. I haven't had to do this in awhile but I won't do it again. Will give a copy to the taxpayer to send to them before I do it.... sorry if I am babbling

Comment

Caller ID

My caller ID showed US GOV and I looked up the area code it came up as KC MO. He did give me a badge # as well. I did question why this wasn't being done by US mail he said" They make two attempts by phone first".

Comment

What kind of information was he looking for?

Comment

IRS Questioning

Depending on the questions, I might say that I need a POA before I can discuss this with the agent.
            Jiggers, EA

Comment

Best to have a POA executed and on file just to cover yourself and make absolutely sure it is documented as to who is authorized to release information regarding the amended return. As a matter of proceedure I always enclose one with an amended return. Also unfornately in this age of identity theft it is imperative you are absolutely sure who you are giving the information to. I am somewhat leary of giving information over the phone unless I am absolutely convinced of the identity of the person I am communicating with.
              Last edited by jimmcg; 08-01-2007, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Identify the person first

Originally posted by jimmcg View Post
                Best to have a POA executed and on file just to cover yourself and make absolutely sure it is documented as to who is authorized to release information regarding the amended return. As a matter of proceedure I always enclose one with an amended return. Also unfornately in this age of identity theft it is imperative you are absolutely sure who you are giving the information to. I am somewhat leary of giving information over the phone unless I am absolutely convinced of the identity of the person I am communicating with.

Normally the IRS won't talk with you unless you FAX them the POA and they have it in their hand.

Require them to send you proof of who they are, by way of FAX!

Besides, we have to be very careful as to who we are releasing information to. We are bound by rules, the IRS knows them, and must abide by them.
                Jiggers, EA

Comment

I called IRS about an amended return yesterday. The gentleman I talked to was in Atlanta and he asked me to fax him the POA and said he would call me back when he had the POA and his computer was working properly.

He called me back in about 5 minutes. The called ID said United States Gov.

He answered my question and that was the end of conversation. But I have never had one call me without me initiating a call first. That would be strange.

Linda F

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                    Sounds strange to me. I would get their name, ID #, phone number and call the client about it.

After having read a few posts on the board here I am not giving out any info/copies of tax returns unless a customer signs a release form. I have in the past when the customer was doing a refinance on a home and called wanting me to fax a copy to the mortgage company. I haven't had to do this in awhile but I won't do it again. Will give a copy to the taxpayer to send to them before I do it.... sorry if I am babbling
                    What problem resulted from you following the request of your client to fax a copy of their return to a mortgage company? If we do not recognize a voice on the phone, my policy is to verify the caller is the client with at least 3 questions? (SS, DOB, sometimes a trick question)

Comment

Release of information

Originally posted by JAinNC View Post
                      What problem resulted from you following the request of your client to fax a copy of their return to a mortgage company? If we do not recognize a voice on the phone, my policy is to verify the caller is the client with at least 3 questions? (SS, DOB, sometimes a trick question)
                      You need to see IRS Reg. Sec. 301.7216-3(a)(2) that requires WRITTEN CONSENT to release confidential taxpayer information.
                      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
                      X