No announcement yet.

"Going postal" at the post office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me know if cutting out the clasp was accepted by the post office. I had the same idea but didn't have anything to mail yet.

Comment

I asked the clerks in my local post office about the "clasp". Both said there was NO such rule about clasp envelopes. I actually mailed one with no surcharge. They said the new rules involve size. A 9 x 12 envelope (clasp or not) will start at (I believe) 80 cents. I would suggest before anyone "throws away" their clasp envelopes they check with their post office.

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
        I asked the clerks in my local post office about the "clasp". Both said there was NO such rule about clasp envelopes. . . . I would suggest before anyone "throws away" their clasp envelopes they check with their post office.
        I bet you also tell people if they have a tax question, to check with IRS.

The clasps are prohibited on "letters" -- 3.5 ounces or less. They are allowed on "flats", which cost more than letters of the same weight, but less than "parcels."

From the official USPS Domestic Mail Manual ---

101 Physical Standards

1.0 Physical Standards for Letters

1.2 Nonmachinable Criteria

A letter-size piece is nonmachinable (see 6.4) if it has one or more of the following characteristics (see 601.1.4 to determine the length, height, top, and bottom of a mailpiece):

a. Has an aspect ratio (length divided by height) of less than 1.3 or more than 2.5.

b. Is polybagged, polywrapped, or enclosed in any plastic material.

c. Has clasps, strings, buttons, or similar closure devices.

Comment

Post office confusion? I'm shocked!

George: Are you suggesting that the rules are so convoluted that even the clerks are having trouble figuring them out? Well, I'll have to add my Friday story to this.

I mail several sizes & weights of envelopes in a small direct mail activity run from my office, so I went in yesterday to have the clerk check some various size, weight, & shape iterms for me (not a clasp in the bunch). We had it mostly right, and when I commented to the clerk that I just wanted to be sure I didnt drop something with incorrect postage in the outside box, she said "Don't worry about it - right now we're pretty much pulling everything from the box and running it through with whatever postage is on it."
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Using binder combs, new postage rates

Wow! I'm really late to discover all the "new" rules and new rates, promulgated by the USPS in May, 2007. (By the way, no mail has been returned or arrived with a balance due, and no doubt I've broken rules many times over the past 10 months.)

Now I find that envelopes containing binder combs aren't flat and are thicker than 1/4", meaning that higher rates apply.

I'm looking for a cost effective substitute for my old binder system and wonder what other preparers are using. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Yeah, I was a bit confused about this since I remember people complaining about this a year ago. One of my post offices has an automatic postage machine in it. Mailed a christmas box with it. I also work near a supermarket that has a post office in it. No lines, open late.

Comment

[3 - A 3-ounce "parcel" (same as #2 but with a clasp) now costs $1.47 (quote)

I mailed one today with a clasp $1.14. I just double checked my receipt. Not sure if they didn't notice the clasp or if my post office isn't charging extra. I didn't know they were til I read this

Bonnie

Comment

Current 2008

No clasp envelopes, and anything that weighs more than 13 oz has to be handed over to a service counter clerk at a post office, can't mail drop.

I use Stamps.com so print out my stamps from online, that helps, but I have many packages even with electronic file that are over 13 oz once you send the client copy and their documents back.

So to outfox the Postal System, I have been breaking down into two packages. The 50 cents it cost me for the extra envelope is worth it for me not to stand in line at the Post Office.

Sandy

Comment

I leave the clasp on, but do not use the clasp, seal the envelope and put tape over the seal. I've had no problems yet.

Also, I'm very glad I bought 5 cent stamps, they finish off the 41 + 17's in all the "large envelope" mailings without going 1 cent over.
                    JG

Comment

Outsmarting the USPS

Originally posted by S T View Post
                      No clasp envelopes, and anything that weighs more than 13 oz has to be handed over to a service counter clerk at a post office, can't mail drop.

I use Stamps.com so print out my stamps from online, that helps, but I have many packages even with electronic file that are over 13 oz once you send the client copy and their documents back.

So to outfox the Postal System, I have been breaking down into two packages. The 50 cents it cost me for the extra envelope is worth it for me not to stand in line at the Post Office.

Sandy
                      I like that approach (two-fer). Of course, the thing that REALLY bugs me is that I can easily use the USPS "flat-rate" envelopes, everything fits neatly inside, and I know exactly what the postage is without concern for the weight or destination.....

**BUT**

I cannot drop that "heavy" envelope into a mail box, nor a mail slot at the post office, nor will my carrier pick it up from my streetside mailbox. Back to the old post office, although I have found a contract station nearby (commercial business) that is friendlier and quicker.

I guess the "weight" line of demarcation is the postal equivalent of asking "is there anything hazardous" or whatever when you mail a sealed box that could contain a small nuclear warhead.

OK - rant is over! - now back to work.

FE

Comment

Working...
                      X