"Going postal" at the post office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Going postal" at the post office

Today I stopped by the post office to mail a couple of extended tax returns. This was my first visit since the new rates went into effect.

1 - There was a surcharge because my envelope was "large" (10" x 13").
    2 - There was a separate surcharge because the envelope had a clasp seal on it ("it must be treated as a parcel" and "it might damage our equipment.") For years I had always put a small strip of clear tape over the seal as a safety precaution.
    3 - Once my envelope had turned into a parcel, the postage was calculated not only on the weight but also on the distance it had to travel. It should be noted today that no item formerly known as an envelope exceeded seven ounces in weight.

I stated a few choice words and paid the fees. This is in addition to my all time pet peeve where the "flat rate envelope" cannot be dropped into a mailbox or left for the carrier at my home IF it the package exceeds a certain weight. (USPS "logic" to that one is it might have.....can't use the actual word.....but something that may go boom!!.)

Is the geezer factor finally kicking in for me, or has anyone else noticed these non-user-friendly roadblocks thrown up by the postal "service"? Will they next start using metal detectors and x-rays to check for such contraband as staples and paper clips????

FE

P O(ff) at the P O

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
    Is the geezer factor finally kicking in for me, or has anyone else noticed these non-user-friendly roadblocks thrown up by the postal "service"? Will they next start using metal detectors and x-rays to check for such contraband as staples and paper clips????

FE
    Nope. And if you complain, in one ear and out the other. Does no good.

I dread going to there to mail anything due to the long line with only one clerk.

I usually put the postage on my large envelopes. But, with all the complications, I see that I will be making more trips to the post office.

I always bill the client for the postage, along with a small handling fee for the envelope. I guess that handling fee is going up if I have to take these inside to the P O for them to calculate the postage.

And service was sorry this tax season. Some returns took up to 10 - 15 days to travel less than 100 miles. I also had a certified letter take 10 days to travel 200 miles. I could have walked them there and back. This was all at the end of tax season.
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

I started

online bill pay for my business this week. This will save me about $15 a month. I already was using bill pay online personally.

Whenever possible I ask vendors to email their bill to me.

Last year we started emailing invoices to clients rather than mail.

I am have asked Lacerte to allow email of letters created in their software such as estimate reminder letters.

We will be looking to eliminate mail where possible.

Comment

Complain, Complain

So, next time don't buy clasped envelopes.

First-class parcels (13 ounces or less) are charged the same rate, regardless of zone. After that, use Priority Mail (same rate anywhere, up to a pound).

I'm finding that much of my mail costs less, at the new rates.

Not to mention my client who mailed me a check on May 18 with a 39 cent stamp (it was delivered, no postage due) and the one who mailed me a check yesterday, with a 2-cent stamp and an old 37-cent stamp (it was delivered also).

Come the holiday season, however, a lot of people with overseas friends and relatives are going to be shocked that you can no longer ship packages overseas by ship. The choices now are just First Class, Priority or Express, and it's all much more expensive than the old Economy rates.

Comment

It's NOT that simple, GB !

Originally posted by George Boutwell View Post

So, next time don't buy clasped envelopes.
          OK, when I finish up the several boxes of clasp envelopes I already have, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Originally posted by George Boutwell View Post
          First-class parcels (13 ounces or less) are charged the same rate, regardless of zone. After that, use Priority Mail (same rate anywhere, up to a pound).

I'm finding that much of my mail costs less, at the new rates.
          Maybe your mail "costs less" but here are the facts:

1 - A 3-ounce letter now costs $0.75

2 - A 3-ounce "flat" (aka 10"x13" envelope) now costs $1.14

3 - A 3-ounce "parcel" (same as #2 but with a clasp) now costs $1.47

As you can see, weight is now just one of the factors for a simple mailing. I don't even want to know what constitutes additional surcharges for "library" or "media" mail. While you are correct on the "zone" issues, the above is still a bit confusing, at least to me.

In the meantime, I will be prepping for next tax season to determine if my tax return packages meet the "uniformly thick" and/or "flexibility test" standards, and ponder what the USPS deems "without being damaged" when they test the package for suitability, as discussed in Section 2.0 (Physical Standards for Flats) at http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/101.htm#wp1002687

FE

Comment

Why wait for Lacerte?

Originally posted by veritas View Post
            I am have asked Lacerte to allow email of letters created in their software such as estimate reminder letters.

We will be looking to eliminate mail where possible.
            You know, if you have Adobe Acrobat (the full version - not just the reader) you could print the letter to "Adobe" (shows up as if it's a printer) and you could convert it to a .pdf (portable document file) as simply as if it were going to a real printer. That way, you don't have to be waiting on Lacerte.

The feature I find particularly cool is the electronic signature feature (and the typewriter tool) in Acrobat. It allows me to certify & secure all my .pdf's and send the doc's that require my 'real' signature via email.

The typewriter tool lets you add text to documents. It's particularly helpful for filling out arcane blank forms that aren't available in electronic form. Just scan the doc in, save as .pdf (my scanner software is set to automatically do this), open it, type and voila! a professional looking document.

Between the items you describe, converting docs to .pdf, and a simple scanner, you could see significant savings.

I rarely use the post office any more.

Comment

PDF and other computer stuff

Originally posted by TaxBird View Post
              You know, if you have Adobe Acrobat (the full version - not just the reader) you could print the letter to "Adobe" (shows up as if it's a printer) and you could convert it to a .pdf (portable document file) as simply as if it were going to a real printer. That way, you don't have to be waiting on Lacerte.

The feature I find particularly cool is the electronic signature feature (and the typewriter tool) in Acrobat. It allows me to certify & secure all my .pdf's and send the doc's that require my 'real' signature via email.

The typewriter tool lets you add text to documents. It's particularly helpful for filling out arcane blank forms that aren't available in electronic form. Just scan the doc in, save as .pdf (my scanner software is set to automatically do this), open it, type and voila! a professional looking document.

Between the items you describe, converting docs to .pdf, and a simple scanner, you could see significant savings.

I rarely use the post office any more.
              Won't work in my small farm community. Most clients have no clue as to how to use a computer!
              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
                Won't work in my small farm community. Most clients have no clue as to how to use a computer!
                Hmm. Maybe that'd be a good seminar then?

Comment

OK, when I finish up the several boxes of clasp envelopes I already have, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

FE
                  You could always donate those boxes to charity and get new ones that won't aggravate you so much.

I prefer the white wove self seal. Plays up my logo quite nicely.

Just a thought.

Comment

Have any of you all tried to use UPS/Fedex or DHl or similar service?
                    I know they cost a little bit more but when possible or practical I try to have my staff use these services.
                    First I can fill the appropriate postage work out on my desk top and even have them come by the office to pick them up.
                    In fact for all bookkeeping, payroll and financial planning as well as some tax work I use UPS exclusively.

Comment

People Resist Change

Maybe your mail "costs less" but here are the facts:

1 - A 3-ounce letter now costs $0.75 . . .
                      And two weeks ago it cost 97 cents.

I don't mail too many 3-ounce tax returns, but many of them come in at 10 ounces, and they are packaged so they qualify as "flats." (If you can operate a computer, you can figure out whether something is flexible enough to bend an inch.) The old rate for 10 ounces was $2.99. The new rate is $2.33.

Comment

a fabulous bargain

>>Is the geezer factor finally kicking in for me, or has anyone else noticed these non-user-friendly roadblocks thrown up by the postal "service"?<<

You are being unreasonable and inconsistent, FE. The only non-user-friendly service issue you mentioned is that you can't put stamped packages into a mailbox. That is easy to resolve--simply let your mail person pick it up, or use a postage meter, or drop it off at the FedEx or UPS box.

The rest of your complaints are all about fees but you object to the simplest ways of reducing costs, such as using a different envelope.

Personally I am glad that USPS has put so much thought into upgrading their delivery service because more than 3/4 of my clients are mail-ins. Postage and shipping is still only two or three percent of my billing, a fabulous bargain.

Comment

Alternatives to Postage Meters

I still have mine, but it probably won't be too long until I switch to buying postage online and printing mailing labels with postage that includes (where available) free or low-cost Delivery Confirmation.

Comment

Originally posted by jainen View Post
                            >>Is the geezer factor finally kicking in for me, or has anyone else noticed these non-user-friendly roadblocks thrown up by the postal "service"?<<

You are being unreasonable and inconsistent, FE. The only non-user-friendly service issue you mentioned is that you can't put stamped packages into a mailbox. That is easy to resolve--simply let your mail person pick it up, or use a postage meter, or drop it off at the FedEx or UPS box.

The rest of your complaints are all about fees but you object to the simplest ways of reducing costs, such as using a different envelope.

Personally I am glad that USPS has put so much thought into upgrading their delivery service because more than 3/4 of my clients are mail-ins. Postage and shipping is still only two or three percent of my billing, a fabulous bargain.
                            We've moved...lots...USPO service varies greatly. We're now in Florida. What upsets me is when there are 6-8 stations and only 1-2 open during the busiest time of the day. I might add that's the rule...not the exception. Also, a trip to the post office for many Senior's here is a social experience. They'll sit and BS about their grandchildren and the postal worker will attentively listen and respond, rather than politiely discontinuing this practice. I've waited in line for over an hour many times sending a parcel. It isn't worth it. I agree it's better to use UPS if you can, but their drop-off locations can also have long lines.

I also have a few boxes of clasp-envelopes. It "miffs" me there's a surcharge to use them. There should have been notification to the public and a period to use them up before the surcharge began. If there was one, I didn't read about it.

Comment

Clasp Envelopes

Originally posted by Zee View Post

I also have a few boxes of clasp-envelopes. It "miffs" me there's a surcharge to use them. There should have been notification to the public and a period to use them up before the surcharge began. If there was one, I didn't read about it.

It's in the mail!
                              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
                              X