IRS refund Checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS refund Checks

A client just contacted me by email, and both of her daughters received $190,000 Dept of the Treas refund checks for their 2006 tax returns. Interesting as one daughter had -0- due, and the other daughter owed a slight amount on her return.

Anyone else had any reports of erroneous refund checks being issued?

The taxpayer/client, says I am "really good"!

Sandy

Nope

But could you do my return next year?

Comment

Maybe you better double check what got efiled.

Comment

Well I know

Well I know what my return on the computer shows. I also know what my efile transmission, acceptance and confirmation shows. Odd that both daughters received $190K checks.

At anyrate, both of the checks are in the mail to me "marked void" along with POA forms, so I can return to the Dept of Treas.

Sounds like a computer glitch at IRS/Dept of Treas.

Just wondered if anyone else had any reports on these.

Sandy

Comment

Haven't seen it, yet

But I sure would love to! I'm with Veritas - will you do my return next year!

Comment

No doubt

you're going to be very busy next tax season, but please add me to your client list as well.

When you get the checks, it will be interesting to know if they are real IRS checks or some sort of scam someone is running.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Many years ago a taxpayer received an IRS refund check of about 6 million dollars in
              error. I saw the check. They make mistakes.

Comment

Me too.

Originally posted by dyne View Post
                Many years ago a taxpayer received an IRS refund check of about 6 million dollars in
                error. I saw the check. They make mistakes.
                I didn't see the actual check, but about 20 years ago I was at a seminar and a tax preparer brought in a photocopy of an IRS check his client received and he was showing it to around to everybody. It was for a little over a million dollars. They sent it back.

Comment

Check out the checks

Let us know once you have actually seen the checks. And did they come in an envelope with a Nigerian postmark?

Comment

A different twist

Last year I had a new client, sold her on the idea of DD, filed her return. She did not have her deposit posted on time and I gave her the number to call. Her DD was sent to a bank in Hong Kong. She was told she would receive a printed check in the mail. She was told IRS was responsible not her preparer. I knew she would not be back and she wasn't.

Comment

Great refunds!

I know you are slammed with appointments all year, but could you please fit me into your '07 schedule? Of course, there has to be some sort of professional discount.

Let me know the appointment time!

Dennis

Comment

Hi Sandy,

I never had any of that or saw any of that. I don't want you as my preparer next year just to receive an erroneous check. Just image the penalty and interest on keeping money like that, or being out of the county for a long time and not noticing.

Good luck.

Gabriele

Comment

Six Million Dollars

A person who had a genuine IRS Check for six million dollars could probably manage to find a nice place to live beyond the reach of the IRS.

Comment

Not curious or Funny Anymore

Taxpayer just emailed me and they received another $60,000 check from "John Chang". This is just not curious or funny anymore!

I am thinking that it has nothing to do with the IRS/Dept of Treas, just perfect timing for refunds being issued after 4/07 filings.

I efiled, which is suppose to be secure, so I am waiting for the POA's so I can access the transcripts to see what is going on there!

Otherwise, I am thinking, T/P needs to contact local police dept and possibly the FBI.

Any other thoughts!

Sandy

Comment

Have you received the first two checks from them? Do they look legit? Plus did they receive them in the mail in the "official" IRS envelopes? Just somethings to look at. It does sound like a scam. I looked on the internet for a scam like this but couldn't find anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X