Please. No Jokes About Collecting Blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please. No Jokes About Collecting Blood

WASHINGTON, Wednesday, April 18, 2007 — The American Red Cross Board of Governors has unanimously approved Mark W. Everson, currently serving as Commissioner of Internal Revenue, to become the next president and CEO of the Red Cross, effective May 29, 2007. The vote was taken at a regularly scheduled meeting of the full Board.

I read that in my local paper the other day. The question is , Who will be the next IRS chief? I always say better the evil you know than the one you do not. Any ideas on who will replace him at IRS?

Comment

Looks like

Originally posted by George Boutwell View Post
      WASHINGTON, Wednesday, April 18, 2007 — The American Red Cross Board of Governors has unanimously approved Mark W. Everson, currently serving as Commissioner of Internal Revenue, to become the next president and CEO of the Red Cross, effective May 29, 2007. The vote was taken at a regularly scheduled meeting of the full Board.
      this hiring action will raise the average IQ of both organizations.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Maybe

Nina "The tax gap" Olsen?

Comment

It's spelled Olson

Originally posted by veritas View Post
          Nina "The tax gap" Olsen?
          She has already risen to her level of incompetency. Nice person, but can't manage a few hundred Taxpayer Advocate employees, much less a large bureaucracy.

Given the current level of discussion about political appointments in Washington -- I'll keep my mouth shut.

Comment

Thanks for the

spelling lesson.

Comment

What would be wrong with

moving the Attorney General over to Commish of the IRS?

Comment

Obviously Everson got the job by demonstrating that he can get the last drop from the taxpayers.

Comment

He has some competition

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                  moving the Attorney General over to Commish of the IRS?
                  His SF-171 is being compared to that of Paul Wolfowitz.

Comment

a good campaign slogan

>>Commish of the IRS<<

I think I'll apply for the job myself. Can anybody suggest a good campaign slogan?

Comment

Originally posted by jainen View Post
                      >>Commish of the IRS<<

I think I'll apply for the job myself. Can anybody suggest a good campaign slogan?
                      Check with Alberto Gonzalez. He might have some good ideas if his memory is working any better now.

Comment

I think so.

Originally posted by jainen View Post
                        >>Commish of the IRS<<

"Read my lips; no new taxes."
                        ChEAr$,
                        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I don't know what you all are complaining about with Mark W. Everson's job with the IRS. At least the IRS has let-up a little on collection enough that taxpayers have not been committing suicide like in past years.

Also, I have not see (during his administration) random selection of taxpayers for audit (harassment) as it appears the IRS has been more selective on audits for potential tax fraud and cheaters. I have not had a single audit during his administration.

Comment

Neither have I, but

Originally posted by OldJack View Post

...Mark W. Everson...I have not had a single audit during his administration.
                            on the other hand, I didn't have one during the term of the previous commissioner either.

Things are probably going to get a bit tighter. Here's an item of interest from that pamphlet "SSA/IRS Reporter" that is enclosed with the blank quarterly 941 forms package.

"...in his Fiscal Year 2007 budget proposal, the President asked Congress to further strengthen enforcement and submitted five legislative proposals designed to reduce the tax gap and improve tax administration:"

One of those proposals is this: "Expanding beyond income taxes the requirement that paid return preparers sign returns and imposing a penalty when they fail to do so."

I suppose they're talking about having us sign and swear to the accuracy of the 941s on which I think probably lots of small businessmen understate wages paid to save on payroll taxes.
                            Last edited by Black Bart; 04-24-2007, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Signing 941's

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post

One of those proposals is this: "Expanding beyond income taxes the requirement that paid return preparers sign returns and imposing a penalty when they fail to do so."

I suppose they're talking about having us sign and swear to the accuracy of the 941s on which I think probably lots of small businessmen understate wages paid to save on payroll taxes.
                              There is a place to sign the 941 now.

The state of Texas has required that the preparer's name be listed. I questioned this and was told that if the taxpayer was audited, and payments such as contract labor was reclassified as wages, then the preparer was going to be fined for filing an incorrect return.
                              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
                              X