Quickfinder or the TaxBook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickfinder or the TaxBook?

Which is better: Quickfinder or the TaxBook? I used the Quickfinder for years but
    purchased the TaxBook this year for the first time INSTEAD of the Quickfinder. It seems I did not refer to the TaxBook as often this year as I did to the Quickfinder in the past. I would like to think I am smarter, but I know that is NOT the case. Comments?

I purchase 4 Quickbooks and 1 TheTaxBook. They are not the same and all are really necessary for a busy tax practitioners. What one book says will reinforce the comments of the other. It is a small price to pay for immediate information that returns you much more than the minor cost. I recommend buying them all.

Comment

For the first time EVER I disagree with OldJack

I used CCH for ever, until it got too darn expensive. Then I used Kleinrock and found it "bulky" and difficult to use. Now I do FREE. Yeap, that four letter F word. Between the IRS website, the Tax Court website, the Federal & State Courts being on the web, free fits for me.

Comment

TheTaxBook is better because it was updated for changes that were made in the 2006 Form 1040 instructions.

Comment

But you would probably be willing to pay for it

Originally posted by lbbwest View Post
          Now I do FREE. Yeap, that four letter F word. Between the IRS website, the Tax Court website, the Federal & State Courts being on the web, free fits for me.
          There are books, and then there are collections of pages that are bound together (or maybe punched into 3-ring binders). Nothing fits the description "collection of pages" more than tax publications. And this year's page may be useless by next year.

I do most of my research online now, also. If I had to pay for it, I would still do it that way. (I do already, I suppose, in broadband fees. Can you believe some practitioners are still using dial-up?) You and I may be in the minority for now, but this will become more common as more of our colleagues learn how to use the Google.

(==Maria Bartiromo: "I'm curious, have you ever googled anybody? Do you use Google?"
          President Bush: "Occasionally. One of the things I've used on the Google is to pull up maps. It's very interesting to see -- I've forgot the name of the program -- but you get the satellite, and you can -- like, I kinda like to look at the ranch. It remind me of where I wanna be sometimes." --CNBC interview Oct. 24, 2006==)

The traditional way to make money from information distribution involves the use of paper and ink and bookbinding. That will probably remain the model for the next decade. But one of these days someone, or some group, will come up with a blog-like reference tool that we will all want to buy.

Comment

I have used the QF for many years and thought it a good resource.

I like the TTB more and have found it to be very useful. In fact another preparer in my office has used the Qf this year and we have found few mistakes.
            My only complaint about the TTb is the size, I wish they would split the book into two. But we have already broached this subject before and I was quickly told tough luck it was not going to happen.

Other than that I find the TTb to be very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by sea-tax View Post
              My only complaint about the TTb is the size, I wish they would split the book into two. But we have already broached this subject before and I was quickly told tough luck it was not going to happen.
              Well.... like everything else that changes... so will TTB. Its just a matter of time until they realize 2 is more than 1.

Comment

Second Year With TTB

This is the second year I bought TTB, last year I bought the deluxe edtion but since I do 1040's almost exclusively this year just bought the 1040 edtion. Before that I used QF I think either one will steer you in the right direction, I also order a pub 17 and find that useful as well. This year I bought TTB CD and I would have to say that I don't think I would do that again. I would rather look at a book than a computer screen plus I think it was a little overkill. I do like this website and all the people who contribute to it I do, in fact, do find a lot of answers right here. I will most likely buy TTB next year.

Comment

Book vs CD

I bought both the book and the CD. Next year I will just buy the 1040 book and the CD with both 1040 and business returns. Most research involves 1040s. My corp and LLC returns are mostly plain vanilla.

Comment

Ttb

Previously used QF. Have used TTB for the past two years - this year the deluxe edition. I much prefer the TTB and like the deluxe edition with personal edition and business combined.

LT
                    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Ditto

Originally posted by LawrenceGR View Post
                      This is the second year I bought TTB, last year I bought the deluxe edtion but since I do 1040's almost exclusively this year just bought the 1040 edtion. Before that I used QF I think either one will steer you in the right direction, I also order a pub 17 and find that useful as well. This year I bought TTB CD and I would have to say that I don't think I would do that again. I would rather look at a book than a computer screen plus I think it was a little overkill. I do like this website and all the people who contribute to it I do, in fact, do find a lot of answers right here. I will most likely buy TTB next year.

I second what Larence has stated. My experience exactly.

Comment

How can you deny that

QF with four books contains more information than the Deluxe Edition of TTB? On the other hand, TTB costs less and I have been able to get answers here for every question I could not answer in TTB.

Comment

I enjoyed the CD version

Very handy. Kept it on my laptop so It was always available.

We have the quickfinder also but I use TTB about 99% of the time.

I will say that the HOH rules were a little easier to understand in Quickfinder. Other than that pretty satisfied.

I wonder though if the authors pull topics of discussion from the message board to explain in their book?

Comment

Synopsis of All Comments

Most of you know I have been a strong supporter of TTB since it's inception, so I won't comment on the merits of either TTB or QF. As Dyne knows, any time a thread is started for this kind of discussion, the TTB people are going to read these comments intensively.

Like Mr. Spock said about sacrificial deeds - "The greatest good for the greatest number."

One of you claims a multiplicity of books is more to be desired. Two is better than One, and Four will contain more information. Yet a couple more people claim that internet access to reams and reams of public information is superior to either QF or TTB, but a contrasting comment says that paper and ink is better than surfing.

Those reams and reams were, of course, available back in the early days of the QF, and people seemed to prefer a handy reference guide to these reams as the QF enjoyed explosive success. You also don't have to be a Solomon to figure out you can get more information in four books than in one. There are contrasting comments from those who think there is not enough information in TTB and others who think TTB is too bulky.

Not once have I heard a comment about price, except for one of you who likes Free. I believe the typical preparer must use reference material literally hundreds of times during the course of tax season unless they only do short forms. Neither QF nor TTB can contain everything, or the "too bulky" comment will be oozing from everyone's lips.

Where is this conversation going? Evaluate either book by how relevant, accurate, and succinct it serves your purpose and be realistic about EITHER pub tailoring a book to serve your needs and yours alone. If price is a factor, appreciate the deluxe 2-1 pricing for the value it brings unless you want totally free. If bulky is a problem, don't expect TTB to include enough information to fill four QF publications.

The conclusion of this post, if you haven't figured it out by now -- your own preference may be some else's bane. I'm sure the TTB people will be reading these comments, and they will have to weigh the contrasting preferences coming from the ends of all spectrums. And if they detect overwhelming preferences for one feature at the expense of another they will respond as any company would.

What is needed worse than anything else, are "win-win" suggestions. Some way for these publications to enjoin some of these preferences without disturbing the other end of the spectrum for others.

There will be subtle improvements every year. Have you noticed the extra stop on the ring flanges that stop TTB from unraveling their rings this year? This was a problem for TTB their first year, especially with a larger book, and was ALWAYS a problem for the QF. This is not an earthshaking solution but an example of how things can be mitigated in small ways.

Keep the comments coming - I hope this thread receives dozens of replies reflecting preferences of one sort or another.
                            Last edited by Snaggletooth; 04-17-2007, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I had noticed that the rings did not come out this year, but had not studied the book enough to spot the reason for the improvement. This was a great improvement.

LT
                              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Working...
                              X