Commissions on employee shown on 1099

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commissions on employee shown on 1099

Client is employee of local company. He receives a W2 for his wages. He also gets paid commission and bonuses for business that he brings into company. For some reason, the company chose to put this on 1099 as non-employee compensation, instead of on W2 where I feel it belongs.

Can I put this on line 21?

Then, I assume that I need to pay SE tax on it?

Thanks for observations and thoughts.

LT

PS - Unfortunately, this same company has had the wrong amount of SS and medicare withholding on all of it's W2 forms, which were prepared by a local CPA.
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Actually the company should correct the W2 and pay their penalties. However, if the client doesn't want to argue with the employer it should go on Sch-C subject to SE tax.

Comment

I would

put it on sch c and back it out to line 1 wages. Pay the fica tax as unreported tips.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
        put it on sch c and back it out to line 1 wages. Pay the fica tax as unreported tips.
        Isn't that asking the IRS to audit the employer and the employee then being the bad guy?

Comment

That is something to consider

First we would ask if there were a repercussion would that be a problem for the employee? Often it is not.

We have done it multiple times over the years and nothing happened to the employers.

Comment

Working...
          X