Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's your call.

Originally posted by Chief View Post
    What would you guys have charged for such a return? I think I am still too low.
    Despite the fearless, look-'em-in-the-eye, stare-'em-down, give-no-quarter, double-their-fee responses you've gotten; I'll bet money that everybody here has at least one or two clients they literally cannot stand and can't get rid of for one reason or another.

Only a few things really make you feel better about such people (1) get enough money to soothe your injured ego (its not really enough, but it makes all that guff go down easier) (2) run them off (pricing him out of the office is easiest -- it doesn't require a lot of talk).

Rehearse your speech for next year (no doubt he'll be back -- he's probably been run off elsewhere). List your main points: "Don't bring in anything before Jan. 31st -- I can't do your taxes unless you bring it all at once -- then I'll sort it out. And, by the way, your fee will be $500 this time." If you just want him to go away, then practice saying straight to his face: "Look, your return takes a lot more time than I have to spare. To keep doing your taxes, I'll have to charge you (whatever you think it'll take to make him jump up out the chair and head for the door)." If it's steep enough he won't wait for your explanation.

It's hard to get shut of them, but you have to do it yourself (there's nobody else). I've got one now that I'd love to refer to Dr. Kevorkian; an arrogant blowhard and, unfortunately, something of a psycho. His fee's $625 and it's still not enough, so I'm rehearsing my "drop dead/straighten up/go away" speech right now (he'll be back Monday).

I know what you mean -- I hate to confront these jerks too, but it just finally gets unbearable and it's him or you.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
      I'm missing something here. Why 75% at .405 and 25 at .445?
      Was this a 2005 return?
      I was having the same thought.

Comment

Letting off Steam

Thanks to all you who have responded to my posting. That client will be back but the fee for his return will increase. I dont know how much yet. Black Bart you hit the nail right on the head with you post.
        ChEAr$ and Dave you are right on topic. I had both returns in front of me and had done the computations on both. Both years I should have charged him for the computation which he could have done.
        I cant praise this Board enough. It is invaluable as a learning tool and people like you make it great.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
          I cant praise this Board enough. It is invaluable as a learning tool and people like you make it great.
          I feel the exact same way. I wish that i knew about this board earlier. It would have enabled me to pursue potential clients with more confidence.

Comment

Working...
          X