Letting off Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting off Steam

I have a client who can't be wrong. He brought me statements of detail of interests and bonds with 1099's missing. He did not have all of his 1099 Div and thought I did not need all that paper work. Further he didn't think I needed the 1099 for his son's education because he was on a prepaid tuition state plan. He had 5 rental properties and only gave me the annual mileage for each. I had to compute that expense 75% at .405 and 25% at .445. He was shocked at my bill of $150 for his return. He returned today because I listed bonds at the wrong amount altho they were at an even swap. The correct information was on the 1099 Div that he had not given me.
    What would you guys have charged for such a return? I think I am still too low
    I told him I would correct his return for efiling but then corrected the paper copy with pencil.

I am the kind of guy who does not believe in civil disobedience. The Same with my confrontation with Mr Always Right. He left feeling that he was right one more time. What tax preparers have to endure?

Under the circumstances you describe, I wouldn't have done the return in the first place. I always insist on seeing the 1099s. As far as the client complaining about fees, I don't spend a lot of time trying to justify it. I'm a professional and it is what it is. The client you describe is one I would probably encourage to go elsewhere.

Comment

5 rentals for $150.

Originally posted by Chief View Post
      I have a client who can't be wrong. He brought me statements of detail of interests and bonds with 1099's missing. He did not have all of his 1099 Div and thought I did not need all that paper work. Further he didn't think I needed the 1099 for his son's education because he was on a prepaid tuition state plan. He had 5 rental properties and only gave me the annual mileage for each. I had to compute that expense 75% at .405 and 25% at .445. He was shocked at my bill of $150 for his return. He returned today because I listed bonds at the wrong amount altho they were at an even swap. The correct information was on the 1099 Div that he had not given me.
      I told him I would correct his return for efiling but then corrected the paper copy with pencil.

I am the kind of guy who does not believe in civil disobedience. The Same with my confrontation with Mr Always Right. He left feeling that he was right one more time. What tax preparers have to endure?
      I would have been in the $300 - $500 range.

Comment

PIA surcharge is called for

My regular fee would have been around $350. I would have added a PIA surcharge of $250 to that fee, and still insisted on having the 1099s, etc. in hand before preparing the return.
        "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

$700 minimum
          Dave, EA

Comment

You were way undercharging.

We have added a status in our tax program for such people. PIA-DDC (ddc is PIA in spanish) clients have no clue what it means but we sure do! We make sure to give no breaks and to charge upfront.

May the IRS catch the PIAs so we can charge more fees.
            Marilyn
            Lost in .....Tax season

Comment

"...shocked at my bill of $150..."

He got off light. With 5 rentals, depreciation, vehicle expenses, interest income, dividend income, education, etc... That is easily a $400-$500 return.
              That's all I have to say ... for now.

Moses A.
              Enrolled Agent

Comment

Wouldn't have done the return

I do not do returns without the 1099's: INT, DIV, B, S, R, whatever.

I have one client that brings in the 1099B, and the detail from his records and I have to force his records to match the 1099B. "I have never matched the 1099B before, why do I have to do it now." he said! Just lucky.

As far as the fee, you are way too low. My guess would be $250 - $400.
                Jiggers, EA

Comment

your client

has his head in his pelvis

Comment

I'm missing something here. Why 75% at .405 and 25 at .445?
                    Was this a 2005 return?
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Block's price

>>in the $300 - $500 range<<

I have a friend who has been my client since I left Block in 1995. I have never raised her fee. She has 3 rentals and a Schedule C, and I charge $350 which was Block's price a decade ago.

Comment

Letting off steam

5 rentals for 150 is about at least 150 low.

Comment

Somewhat Low

I do first rental at $60, then subsequent rentals at $40, in addition to the base fee and othr charges.

Sandy

Comment

Trends

This is one of the trends I've been noticing. Client's don't want to let go of the papers. I feel I must play a slow boring game to get the information I need.

Well, I don't seem to have this 1099 yet.

Well I gave you everything I have. You have everything you need. Here is my financial planners number you can call her and see if you don't have everything.

Two days later. Oh here is that 1099 that you asked for.

Or
                            Everything is on my papers - do I need to bring you all my receipts, do you now need to verify everything I tell you? That's new.

A half hour later in the interview, after I've tried to sort through and figure everything out.

Oh, here are some more papers including the things you've been asking about.

Actually, I think it's the pressure of life, and no one is thinking as clearly as they once did. It's not just an aging client base either. Young people also need several gentle questions to let loose of the required information to get their returns done.
                            JG

Comment

Chief,
                              I would have given his information back and said, "no thank you."

Comment

Working...
                              X