My Attempt To Go Paperless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fujitsui S500

I'm kinda "bummed". I bought a used Xerox Documate 510 on ebay, and spent the entire day trying to get it to work. For some reason, my computer simply won't recognize the drivers. I'm getting an error message on the scanner that there's some sort of problem, but don't know what it is. Xerox wasn't any help. So...I'm hoping the seller is honest enough to accept a return. I'll gladly pay the return shipping costs, rather than be out $200. But...with my luck I'm probably "stuck" with it. After reading the strings here, I ordered a new Fujitsui S500 from an online dealer called CTI. The cost is $348 after a $50 rebate with free shipping. I'm disappointed it doesn't have twain, but for a paperless office it should be fine. I'm just starting a new practice. So, now is the time to go paperless...I'll probably have very few returns this year. I'm new to the area, and advertising and flyers honestly don't gather many clients.

Comment

Buy.com discount

I started to buy a low-price flatbed scanner from Buy.com. It was about $ 90, and they offered a $ 30 discount if I signed up for a Buy.com Visa card, so I'm waiting for the credit card to arrive before I submit my order.

My volume of business doesn't justify getting a top-of-the-line scanner.

Comment

Joe-

The volume of my business (0...right now) doesn't justify a top of the line scanner either. The Fujitsui S500 isn't top of the line by any stretch. Like you, I started with a Canon flatbed like I have at home. Then, I realized a flatbed wouldn't work. Each document scanned appears as a separate file. To use a document manager, a sheet fed scanner is necessary to scan multiple documents into a single file. So, I took the Canon back to Office Depot. Then, I purchased the used Xerox Documate 510 (a sheetfed)...which I hope to return to the seller since it doesn't work (lots of luck). Next, after reading the string about the Fujitsui S500 I ordered one. My thoughts were starting with zero clients is a good time to began the process of a paperless environment. I'll have plenty of time on my hands to learn the scanning process and how best to establish a paperless office. That's certainly not the scenario I'd prefer...but that's life. Hanging a sign and newspaper ads are a very hard way to start a tax practice. It's just too short of a time frame and there is so much competition these days. I do hope to try different marketing approaches after the tax season (seminars for new businesses, etc.). I'd like to get away from individual returns and focus on businesses and tax planning...not tax preparation in the future. So, I've also invested in presentation equipment (projector, screen, etc.) for powerpoint presentations. First, I have to learn powerpoint...then develop presentations...then, the hard part...find an audience. If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Comment

You made the right decision

Originally posted by Zee View Post
          Joe-

The volume of my business (0...right now) doesn't justify a top of the line scanner either. The Fujitsui S500 isn't top of the line by any stretch. Like you, I started with a Canon flatbed like I have at home. Then, I realized a flatbed wouldn't work. Each document scanned appears as a separate file. To use a document manager, a sheet fed scanner is necessary to scan multiple documents into a single file. So, I took the Canon back to Office Depot. Then, I purchased the used Xerox Documate 510 (a sheetfed)...which I hope to return to the seller since it doesn't work (lots of luck). Next, after reading the string about the Fujitsui S500 I ordered one. My thoughts were starting with zero clients is a good time to began the process of a paperless environment. I'll have plenty of time on my hands to learn the scanning process and how best to establish a paperless office. That's certainly not the scenario I'd prefer...but that's life. Hanging a sign and newspaper ads are a very hard way to start a tax practice. It's just too short of a time frame and there is so much competition these days. I do hope to try different marketing approaches after the tax season (seminars for new businesses, etc.). I'd like to get away from individual returns and focus on businesses and tax planning...not tax preparation in the future. So, I've also invested in presentation equipment (projector, screen, etc.) for powerpoint presentations. First, I have to learn powerpoint...then develop presentations...then, the hard part...find an audience. If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated.
          If you are just starting, it is worth the extra money. I've already retired once from the corprate world and I will probably retire almost completely in a year or two, so I am not gearing up for a lot of scanning. I don't scan every document that a client brings although it would be best to do it if you have a scanner will do it quickly.

Comment

I've been using the scansnap 500 for the past few days. I really like how quickly it scans, goes directly into their ScanSnap Organizer, and will convert the document directly into a searchable pdf file. You have the option on that. The scansnap software is I suppose setup like some of you have described on other programs. Like a virtual filing cabinet. You can setup cabinets with folders in them. You are not given a choice to name the file at the time it scans in but you just click on the file and rename it. It has a popup window showing you a quickview of the file.

One thing I've noticed is that it will try to bring two pages through at a time. This only happened when I was scanning in 1099s. The version that is sent into the IRS. I just had to crinkle them a little and it picked the pages up separate. So far so good.

I think the big test on it will be when I start scanning in monthly bookkeeping information like check stubs and bank statements. That is my biggest thing that took time away.

Comment

Working...
            X