SSN's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSN's

I have a name with an address but no social that I need to issued a 1099. Is there an easy way to obtain this?

Tell your client to go get the SS#. Its his problem.

Comment

how about have them fill out a w-9.?

Comment

SSN's

Client is an elderly fellow and I suspect missing SSN belongs to a CNA that he hired. I know that it is his problem, but he needed help and I thought that someone here could direct me to a way to help him.

Comment

You can file the 1099 with no SS#...you will get a penalty of 50.00 for missing number, but you can still file it

Comment

Originally posted by lsmith View Post
            Client is an elderly fellow
            Being elderly is no excuse for anything. They call me elderly, but no one gives me a break for anything other than a senior discount which they also give to young whippersnappers at only age 55. Call that elderly fellow and tell him to get his act together and bring you that SS#.

Comment

Well, I suppose

Originally posted by lsmith View Post
              Client is an elderly fellow and I suspect missing SSN belongs to a CNA that he hired. I know that it is his problem, but he needed help and I thought that someone here could direct me to a way to help him.
              that you could look her up, throw and hogtie her; then take the number out of her purse. But it's gonna have to be done either by you or the old gent (barring divine intervention).

Too, I think the penalty's only $15 if you send it in by March 30th, although I think there's something in there about "correct information." But even then, I'd plead "reasonable cause" (nobody wants to mess with it).

Comment

Penalty

First, make sure the customer is required to give the CNA a 1099. If it is not in the course of a business, it is not required.

Then, if it is needed, tell the gentleman you will have to issue this 1099 without a SSN, and a penalty will be forthcoming. I'll bet he will get it or will direct family members to get it.

I have the same problem when the payer tells me, "Well, I don't know where he's at, he's moved off, he won't give it to me, etc." I then tell him about the $50 penalty, and then if he doesn't want to issue the 1099 I tell him he can't claim the expense, which is usually worse than the $50 penalty. Amazing how fast they can get that number.

The option of not claiming the expense is not really viable according to the law, so I don't want anyone to infer that I recommend this. But I explain that is part of the audit procedures, and I use the argument to get results.

Comment

Reasonable cause for Ismith

Originally posted by OldJack View Post
                  Being elderly is no excuse for anything. They call me elderly, but no one gives me a break for anything other than a senior discount which they also give to young whippersnappers at only age 55. Call that elderly fellow and tell him to get his act together and bring you that SS#.
                  I don't know about this quote -- I might just try pleading "elderly" anyway. Just because Jack's 99 and still (he claims) has all his marbles doesn't prove that your over-the-hill guy (85 or so maybe?) is a young whippersnapper.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
                    Just because Jack's 99 and still (he claims) has all his marbles
                    Thats an out and out lie. I have never claimed to have all my marbles.

Comment

SSN's

The gentleman has attempted several times to contact her, but he seems to think that she may have gotten married. May have to suffer a penalty.

Comment

Taxpayer pays lease on land. Taxpayer recievies crop insurance on land and forwards to land owner. on 1099 's all payments made to landlord should be listed as rent--or broken down into 2 parts rent & insurance????

Comment

Working...
                        X