Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use milage on schedule "C" If no office in home ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use milage on schedule "C" If no office in home ?

"Retired" customer got part time work in 2023 from a local counseling service in which he picks up and drops off
    troubled teens from across the state. The counseling service gave him a 1099-NEC for $12,153 box #1 for 2023.
    He incurred 7,932 in milage transporting the teens. His milage per round-trip averages about 125 miles.
    As I understand this, he'll need to file a "C". Can he use this milage on the "C" without having an office in his home?
    Thanks for comments.

most definitely............. BUT it is only from one business location to another business location. He should first stop at the drop off location and then go to the pickup location. Dropoff location is where he gets his assignment for pickup order.
    Last edited by BOB W; 02-26-2024, 10:37 AM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Just spoke with my taxpayer. He gets his customer state case orders online .
      He then picks up (from around the state) the customer and drives directly to the local counseling center facility where the counseling is provided.
      The counseling seems to be equestrian in nature. When the session is over he drives the customer back to where they were picked up.
      He tells me he keeps track of this activity in a spare bedroom at home (even has a desk) - so will probably use office-in-home.

Comment

OK. All is good.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Remember Regular & EXCLUSIVE. The Exclusive part can be that desk, if it really is Exclusive. You're not aiming for a large OIH deduction; you just want ANY OIH deduction to qualify his mileage from his home to his assignments and back home. Make sure he doesn't stop at the dry cleaners!

If he doesn't have OIH, then his mileage doesn't begin at home but at his first biz-related stop, probably his pick-up in your description. He'll still have from pick-up to the equestrian facility and back to deliver the teen back to the teen's home. What does he do while the teen is riding horses? Wait at the facility?

Comment

Although it wasn't discussed in the original post - does the client have auto insurance coverage for this business traveling?
            Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Working...
            X