Unemployment adjustment tax program fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lion View Post
    And, does it calculate the correct MAGI for other purposes, such as the taxable part of SS, IRA thresholds, student loan interest deduction, T&F deduction, and PAL thresholds for rental losses?

I saw reports the Social Security was being taxed correctly, so I suspect the other items are correct as well.

ProSeries is doing the calculations correctly, BUT is not doing anything with the State returns. So if you were to file a state that starts with Federal numbers, you need to adjust it (including states that were already not taxing it, you need to add it back so it doesn't double-deduct, and the states that do tax it, you now need to add it back so it is taxable).

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post

I saw reports the Social Security was being taxed correctly, so I suspect the other items are correct as well.

ProSeries is doing the calculations correctly, BUT is not doing anything with the State returns. So if you were to file a state that starts with Federal numbers, you need to adjust it (including states that were already not taxing it, you need to add it back so it doesn't double-deduct, and the states that do tax it, you now need to add it back so it is taxable).
      ProSeries is calculating Ohio correctly (home state). Ohio is following federal guidelines.

Comment

Oh, thanks, I think I misphrased it. Some state have a 'rolling conformity' (they always do whatever the Federal does), so they would be correct. I would guess that Ohio is that way.

But any states that set their own rules (but start off with Federal numbers) seem to be wrong.

Or maybe I'm wrong about the mechanism of the problem, but from what I have seen there a quite a number of states that are currently wrong.

Comment

And, does it calculate the correct MAGI for other purposes, such as the taxable part of SS, IRA thresholds, student loan interest deduction, T&F deduction, and PAL thresholds for rental losses?
          Lion: Your one of the best for fine details....
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I took a webinar from Kathy Morgan/Tax Practice Pro today! Very helpful. It was recorded and will be on demand shortly. https://taxpracticepro.com/

Comment

I took a webinar from Kathy Morgan/Tax Practice Pro today! Very helpful. It was recorded and will be on demand shortly. https://taxpracticepro.com/
              They have good subjects. I'll look into them after season settles down.... Around September......
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

It would be helpful to the readers if you list those states that you say........
                Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
                .....but from what I have seen there a quite a number of states that are currently wrong.
                Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
                X