head of household

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head of household

clients son lived with her all year -he earned 23,000 and is 23 years old not a full time student
    can she claim head of house hold or has to claim single

Originally posted by SHUBEE89 View Post
    clients son lived with her all year -he earned 23,000 and is 23 years old not a full time student
    can she claim head of house hold or has to claim single
    Short answer (assuming no hidden significant facts) No and Yes

ยง2 requires either a qualifying child or a dependent - you don't appear to have either

Comment

I'm always confused: When can a t/p claim HOH without a dependent but type in a name and Social Security Number in the special area on a tax return?
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

If she's the custodial parent but the dependent is being claimed on the other parent/ex-spouse's return this year, is one example I've had.

Comment

Any other reason(s)? The words "Dependent or Qualifying person" is part of the research. My confusion come from Qualifying person (not a dependent). Any other then what Lion stated?
          Last edited by BOB W; 02-28-2021, 02:29 PM.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

My example would be a qualifying person. Table 4 gives Qualifying Person and Not Qualifying person: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p50...link1000220823

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
              Any other reason(s)? The words "Dependent or Qualifying person" is part of the research. My confusion come from Qualifying person (not a dependent). Any other then what Lion stated?
              Bob,
              The way I read it, for HH, you would have to have Qualifying child or Qualifying relative in order to claim HH, a Qualifying person could be use to claim someone as your dependent, however, you could not use them for HH.
              TTB page 3-7 and 3-8 explains why the OP could not claim HH

Comment

Thanks... I reread TTB and let it sink in, I hope.

Comment

The point is there is no splitting of a Qualifying Child Ever! Except when there are divorced spouses and one is allowed the dependency exemption and the other can still use the qualifying child as a Head of Household qualifier.
                  Doug

Comment

So that is it...Only has to do with parents that have split up and custodial parent gets to file HOH all the time whether claiming a child or not.

I'm sorry if I keep trying to simplify the code. Complexity is not my strong suit.
                    Last edited by BOB W; 02-28-2021, 09:37 PM.

Comment

We're in the business of complexity!

Comment

Originally posted by dtlee View Post
                        The point is there is no splitting of a Qualifying Child Ever! Except when there are divorced spouses and one is allowed the dependency exemption and the other can still use the qualifying child as a Head of Household qualifier.
                        As a minor clarification, the IRS was forced to accept that never-married parents (not just divorced/separated) also can use the "splitting benefits" scenario. What changed beginning TY2005 with Uniform Definition of a Child is that others, such as grandparents, aunts/uncles, etc cannot split the tax benefits for a child, as they used to be able to do under the old rules.
                        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I you have a cite for this, I would really like it.
                          Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dtlee View Post
                            I you have a cite for this, I would really like it.
                            Take a look at King 121 TC 245

Comment

Thank you.
                              Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X