Defective Life Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defective Life Estate

Parent wishing to pass residence to children but maintain a life estate. Which in general is better and why - Defective Life Estate or regular Life Estate? Also, is an Intentional Defective Irrevocable Trust the same as a Defective Life Estate. Thanks.

I have not heard of "defective life estate". But I think it is a poor vehicle to use to transfer assets at death.

Comment

Why

Why is it a poor vehicle - if you have not heard of it. Regarding keeping a residence out of probate and if possible to avoid estate tax as the residence is worth in excess of three million.

Comment

How would it avoid estate tax?

Comment

It Doesn't

That is the problem. I gather an IDIT would do that but probably not the thing when this is just for a residence. Given the residence were under two million and no estate tax problem, then what would be the alternative to a life estate or a defective life estate?

Comment

The problem with a life estate is it a completed gift at fair market value. No step up in basis at death and no Sec.121 exclusion.

I did a search and could not find any reference to a "defective life estate".

Comment

Defective

A defective life estate is not a completed gift until donor dies and it does get a step up basis.

Comment

title

If a taxpayer wants the Estate to avoid Probate and still have the beneficiary get, the step-up base on the property (taxpayer home). What is the best way to hold title to there home?

Comment

Living trust possibly.

Comment

Quitclaim

Quitclaim the residence and retain a life estate - remainderman does get step up on date of death of the life estate retainer.

Comment

this kind of nonsense

>>What is the best way to hold title to their home?<<

Solomon, you are asking a legal question on a tax forum. An intentionally defective irrevocable trust is intended to look like an incomplete gift under federal tax laws but a completed gift under state inheritance laws. Whether that is appropriate for a particular family depends on a lot of things other than tax law. So talk to a local attorney who specializes in estates and trusts, and stop reading those magazines that push this kind of nonsense.

Comment

No Nonsense

The Code does cover estates. A defective life estate is not an idit.

Comment

Jan

Regarding your question on best way to pass on a house to a child. What is known as the Enhanced Life Estate Deed is a good way. The remainderman gets step up basis. It also does not have some of the pitfalls of doing this with a quitclaim deed - for example, with a quitclaim one has to get beneficary approval to sell the property. Retainee of Enchanced Life Estate can also sell the property without beneficiary approval and get a Sec. 121 exclusion if desired. Other good things. Problem it is only availabe in a few states - one of which is Texas - that it is why it is also called the Lady Bird Deed. President Johnson utilized this approach and that is why it picked his wife's name as a nickname for it. I believe Florida and Kansas also use it - perhaps a few more states. You can check to see if you are in a state that approves. As mentioned, it is a incomplete gift until retainee's death thus giving step up to beneficiary. It also, one of your concerns, avoids probate.
                          Last edited by solomon; 09-08-2006, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by solomon
                            A defective life estate is not a completed gift until donor dies and it does get a step up basis.

I have been told differing opinions on stepped up basis.

How about Sec 121 exclusion?

Comment

Working...
                            X