Forum Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Display

A couple weeks ago, this forum started displaying only 10 posts per page. I don't recall what it use to be, but it was at least twice that amount. I've changed my user settings to display 40 per page but only 10 still show. How do I get this setting to take effect?
    "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Any moderators on this forum that can tell me how to get this to work?
    "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

I also have something that bothers me. Unread posts are in bold. Previously, once I access the board and log out all posts are considered read. Now I have to go through each post
      How can that be changed?

Thanks

Brian
      Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

What you do is go to the bottom of the screen and click "Mark Channels Read" - that clears the messages.
        Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Hi, Anarchrist,

Click on your username in the upper right of the screen and select User Settings. You can change it there under the second tab, which is labeled Account.

Comment

Since a couple weeks ago, no matter what I select as display setting, only 10 posts display on the main forum page. I'm assuming 10 is the forum default. I had it set at 40, but for some reason it ignored the setting and started only displaying 10. I don't remember how many displayed prior to a couple weeks ago other than I know it was more than 10. I'm guessing 40 were displayed since that's what I had it set at.

Comment

If you WANT 40, you can easily make that your personal selection. . .
              40 is, and has been, my selection for years

Comment

The user setting has been set at 40. It was always set at 40. Two weeks ago, even though the setting was 40, the main forum page started displaying only 10. The setting is at 40 but only 10 display. The setting stopped working approximately two weeks ago. If it worked, I'd have never posted the question.

Comment

Viewing this discussion, I noticed that my screen shows 10 and no more than 10. I went into my settings as described above, and see that I'm set to view 40. I changed the setting. Then I went back in and set it for 40. I see only 10.

Comment

Same here. I changed my setting from "default" to 20. I still see only 10. I suppose the only advantage to more displays is that you don't have to go to Page 2, 3, etc so often? Anyway, Anarchrist is correct. it doesn't work. We do need some way to communicate any desired changes or questions to the Administrator. For instance, it bugs me that the poster's location information no longer appears with the post, but on another page. It used to be in the upper right of the post.. It could be in the name info block on the left. ATXCommunity board forum uses the same format and they do this.
                    Last edited by Burke; 02-09-2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I am not having this problem. I have always had the setting at "default forum setting", and I see more than ten posts on one page. I don't think it would be a browser problem, but you never know (I mostly use Firefox).

How many posts do you see per page when you are not logged in?

Maybe try clearing all the cookies in your browser for any site matching "thetaxbook" and see if that helps.

Also, it was clear from Anarchrist's post #1 that a bug was being reported. So the repeated advice to change the setting is not helpful, as it has already been reported that for some, that does not help.

Update: here is a thread with 29 posts to use. I find that I am getting 15 per page with the default setting. Update #2: I changed my setting to 40 per page, and now I see all 29 posts of this thread on one page. So the problem is not universal.

https://forum.thetaxbook.com/forum/d...alifying-widow

Last edited by Rapid Robert; 02-09-2019, 01:05 PM.
                      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Interesting. When I click on this link, I got 20 on one page, which is what I set mine on. Subsequent posts appear on Page 2. I thought OP was talking about the posts appearing when you first sign on the forum, which is only 10 per page. Not the ones you select for viewing. He did say "main page."
                        Last edited by Burke; 02-10-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                          Interesting. When I click on this link, I got 20 on one page, which is what I set mine on. Subsequent posts appear on Page 2. I thought OP was talking about the posts appearing when you first sign on the forum, which is only 10 per page. Not the ones you select for viewing. He did say "main page."
                          Ah, maybe this whole thing has been due to mis-using various terms. On the main display, one sees "Topics" (this is how they are labeled), and yes, I only see ten at a time, not sure if it can be configured. Within a given topic, there are "posts",(this is how they are labeled). This is the setting one can change. So maybe the original comment here was really referring to Topics, not Posts.
                          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I can't get it to work either. chose 30, saved, opened up, 10

Comment

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
                              I can't get it to work either. chose 30, saved, opened up, 10
                              Can't get what to work? Topics, or posts?

Comment

Working...
                              X