Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deductible med exp for parents of teen with mental disabilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Deductible med exp for parents of teen with mental disabilities

    Hi all you hard working professionals,

    Clients' (husband/wife) daughter had to be institutionalized in 2017 for various lengths of time. Daughter 18. Parents' med ins covered daughter's expenses. Parents had to travel to Los Angeles, CA, and San Francisco, CA, (from Santa Cruz, CA) to attend therapy sessions with her.

    My understanding is that $50/night/per person for hotel (or actual expense if under $50) + mileage can be deducted. No meals.

    Can I get a confirmation on this please. If any of you know anything different, please let me know.

    Thanks so much,
    Robi

    #2
    Originally posted by rmcgrobi View Post
    My understanding is that $50/night/per person for hotel (or actual expense if under $50) + mileage can be deducted. No meals.
    Where did you get the info about $50 limit? Did you try checking Pub 502 for your answer?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
      Where did you get the info about $50 limit? Did you try checking Pub 502 for your answer?
      IRC section 213(d)(2)

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
        IRC section 213(d)(2)
        It is so stated in the IRS Publication. I was just wondering why post a question when it seems the answer is already known? Maybe it's just to keep us all sharp!

        Comment


          #5
          Compliment....

          Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
          IRC section 213(d)(2)
          on your suggestion for a source to consider. Your source is better when supporting the position taken on the return than someone making a suggestion based on the suggestion of their "experience".
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

          Comment


            #6
            Both you....

            Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
            It is so stated in the IRS Publication. I was just wondering why post a question when it seems the answer is already known? Maybe it's just to keep us all sharp!
            and NYEA gave the sources to reference for the post and may be the support for the position taken on the return.

            Refreshing to see and compliments to you also.
            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

            Comment


              #7
              Thanks to all who replied. Got info from The Tax Book. Just checking with other professionals. Maybe the new tax law updates might be different. Some changes already reversed.

              Thanks again.

              Comment

              Working...
              X