IRS mailing addresses changed for calendar 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS mailing addresses changed for calendar 2018

Updating my collection of links, and noticed various 1040-series mailing addresses have changed for calendar 2018, at least for my state (PA).

https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-...ling-form-1040

Paper tax returns becoming obsolete

Originally posted by BP. View Post
    Updating my collection of links, and noticed various 1040-series mailing addresses have changed for calendar 2018, at least for my state (PA).

https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-...ling-form-1040
    I don't recall the last time I sent any tax return via mail, especially since professional tax preparers are now required/urged to efile returns absent a good (and documented!) reason for not doing so. [My last snail mail tax return was necessitated by an identity theft issue.] Reference is made to IRS Form 8948. And the old stand-by "none of my clients wants to efile" carries zero weight unless a signed opt-out letter is also maintained by the preparer.

It's been my experience that most tax software will automatically provide the proper mailing addresses for tax items when needed. Especially when there are different addresses for pay/no pay returns, amended returns, payment coupons, estimated tax payments, extension payments, and etc.

There are way too many things that can "go wrong" with paper returns and paper checks, so whenever possible my clients choose the efile / direct deposit / direct debit options for all matters. Even (many of) the states are now strongly urging efiling et al.

FE

Comment

I don't normally mail 1040 returns any more.

However, clients still mail the 941/940 series and the addresses can change. Especially with those with a balance due and they are enclosing a payment. A few years back the 940's were all returned about the middle of Feb. I provided the envelopes for them to mail the return. So they were late filed with a new address and I had to respond to the IRS that the address had changed (different bank had the contract). The penalties were waved.
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

I think I have 2 or 3 clients that insist on paper filing. I check the addresses before preparing those returns every year.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Yep, everybody’s been e-filing for 20+ years.

Nearly-obsolete, but paper forms needed for those cases that aren’t “normal.”

I have some of these each year, and keep addressed envelopes on hand for clients’ use:

Form 14039- for identity theft;

Form 8948- for unfixable rejects (you know them, the dependent or wrong parent who got there first)
          or by taxpayer choice;

Form 1040V- some use checks; and

Those few who file after e-file season’s closed, and before it reopens- like now.

TTB has it covered- p. 16-1. I liked knowing about the changes.

Comment

Working...
          X