Gym Membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gym Membership

I have 2 different situations involving gym membership.

#1 - Client is a massage therapist. She must keep her arms and hands in working condition. She needs exercise and actually massage therapy herself in order to keep working. Is this a deductible business expense?

#2 - Schedule C client has wife on payroll and a medical reimbursement plan in place for her. The family business is physical labor. Can a gym membership be a reimbursable expense on the medical reimbursement plan?

Thanks.

Linda, EA

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
    I have 2 different situations involving gym membership.

#1 - Client is a massage therapist. She must keep her arms and hands in working condition. She needs exercise and actually massage therapy herself in order to keep working. Is this a deductible business expense?

#2 - Schedule C client has wife on payroll and a medical reimbursement plan in place for her. The family business is physical labor. Can a gym membership be a reimbursable expense on the medical reimbursement plan?

Thanks.

Linda, EA
    I would say you must have a Dr's prescribing such for both.

Assuming you have the above

Both would be sch A deductions IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post
      I would say you must have a Dr's prescribing such for both.

Assuming you have the above

Both would be sch A deductions IMHO.
      That being said Read TTB 4-4 under NON deductible expenses.

Both might slip into this category and be non deductible.

Comment

Gym Memberships even if recommended by a Doc are not deductible. I had one such case and it was disallowed.

Physical therapy charges at a gym that provides such services are deductible but it is different than your run of the mill gym memberships.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

thanks

I didn't think the massage therapist was a go. I told her I didn't think so but just wanted to be sure.

I wasn't sure about with the medical reimbursement plan for an employee.

Comment

Working...
          X