ProSeries 2015 dirvers license info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ProSeries 2015 dirvers license info

I noticed on PS 2015, there is a place to enter drivers license number and information on the federal information worksheet. Anyone know what's going on with that??????

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
    I noticed on PS 2015, there is a place to enter drivers license number and information on the federal information worksheet. Anyone know what's going on with that??????
    I don't use Proseries but I would assume it is a placeholder to put identity information. I scan the picture ID (driver's license or state issued id) of all new clients and put it in their file.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Help

Did you check as to to field description. Should explain the reason or tech support.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

OK, I called PS

OK, I called ProSeries. This information is now required by the IRS. It can be found on their Site. If your client does not have a drivers lic. you can use a state issued ID. This is to stop ID Theft. If they have neither I guess we have to mail in with an explanation as to why no ID. Currently my son as no ID, so this is a problem for him.

Comment

Originally posted by August @ ADG Financial View Post
          This information is now required by the IRS. It can be found on their Site.
          My understanding is it's actually being driven by the states rather than by the IRS, but since the data transmits through the IRS it ends up on their schema.

Did you locate a webpage on IRS.gov saying that it is required or was that just what ProSeries said?

Comment

OK, I called ProSeries. This information is now required by the IRS. It can be found on their Site. If your client does not have a drivers lic. you can use a state issued ID. This is to stop ID Theft. If they have neither I guess we have to mail in with an explanation as to why no ID. Currently my son as no ID, so this is a problem for him.
            I would think if it was required by IRS we would have received an e-mail alert. I'm wondering if some states are requiring? Did Pro happen to tell you if we will get an error preventing e-file if not completed?

Comment

Required ??

Originally posted by David1980 View Post

Did you locate a webpage on IRS.gov saying that it is required or was that just what ProSeries said?
              I second that request.

Sounds more like a (professional) software issue, possibly of the bookkeeping type, than an IRS-mandate.

How does this information reach the IRS for those people whose preparer, for whatever reasons, does NOT efile the tax return??

I am aware that some states (Virginia comes to mind) "request" a few digits from the DL to be entered on the tax return. But that information plainly shows on the VA Form 760 and similar.

One would think that if a DL # was an IRS requirement, we would have previously heard of it through official channels and that as a result of that requirement there would have been a space on the clients' 2015 tax organizers for them to provide the information.

FE

Comment

Not necessary

Not necessary as of today for federal. If you don't populate the field and do a review, an error does not occur. Since 2015 returns cannot be filed until January at which time if there is a "new" requirement it will be in the 1040 instructions.

However, for a particular state, a review of "what's new" to see if required if not presently required.

Comment

This post is not clear to me:
                  It (what) can be found on their (who is their) Site?
                  I know the IRS has announced that they are having some employers include an additional identifying number on some W2's which is required to be input on the return by the IRS (to aid in ID theft issues) but I haven't heard anything about a driver's license number being required by IRS.

Was there more to your conversation with ProSeries that would make this clearer to all of us?

I haven't even looked at PS 2015 yet...what do the instructions for this line say?
                  Last edited by taxea; 12-04-2015, 12:51 AM.
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

XII on the PS Fed Info Worksheet?

Are you referring to XII on the Fed Info Worksheet? I would think if the TP does not have a State ID, we could attach a note to the e-filed tax return explain why no state ID. Now does that include another states ID? Each year I acquire a handful of new clients that relocated from another state. These new clients still have state issue ID's from the previous state they resided at. Here in AZ most colleges issue students ID's

Comment

Correction due - don't panic

Don't panic. Here is what's happening for Federal returns. Pro Series needs to clarify their "HELP" field description. Why?

As mentioned in an earlier reply post, as of today it is not a required field. Pro Series states that the IRS and states are "requesting" this info to be on the return and to refer to "IRS.gov" which is misleading. Instead, it should refer to the "Handbook for Authorized IRS e-file Providers of Individual Income Tax Returns".

If you refer to the "Handbook for Authorized IRS e-file Providers of Individual Income Tax Returns"

THIS HANDBOOK STATES (AND NOTE THE WORD "OPTIONAL" BELOW):

In-Person Transaction,
                      The ERO must inspect a valid government picture identification; compare
                      picture to applicant; and record the name, social security number, address
                      and date of birth. Verify that the name, social security number, address,
                      date of birth and other personal information on record are consistent with
                      the information provided through record checks with the applicable agency
                      or institution or through credit bureaus or similar databases. For in-person
                      transactions, the record checks with the applicable agency or institution or
                      through credit bureaus or similar databases are optional.

Examples of government picture identification (ID) include a driver’s
                      license, employer ID, school ID, state ID, military ID, national ID, voter ID,
                      visa or passport.

If there is a multi-year business relationship, you should identify and
                      authenticate the taxpayer.

Comment

I can't find anything on IRS.gov, but the 'help' within ProSeries says this:

"The IRS and state revenue agencies are now requesting that Driver's License or State Identification information is included in the return for both taxpayer and spouse. The additional information is being requested to assist in verification of both taxpayer and spouse's identity."

It says "requesting", which implies it is not yet required.

Comment

see LATER REPLY

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
                          I can't find anything on IRS.gov, but the 'help' within ProSeries says this:

"The IRS and state revenue agencies are now requesting that Driver's License or State Identification information is included in the return for both taxpayer and spouse. The additional information is being requested to assist in verification of both taxpayer and spouse's identity."

see LATER REPLY POST

It says "requesting", which implies it is not yet required.

Here is what's happening for Federal returns. Pro Series needs to clarify their "HELP" field description. Why?

As mentioned in an earlier reply post, as of today it is not a required field. Pro Series states that the IRS and states are "requesting" this info to be on the return and to refer to "IRS.gov" which is misleading. Instead, it should refer to the "Handbook for Authorized IRS e-file Providers of Individual Income Tax Returns".

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
                            I think the handbook is talking about something different - specifically electronic signatures. You'll notice that it is in the "Electronic Signature Guidance for Forms 8878 and 8879" section of the publication. Also that it allows a lot more options. The new field is driver's license or state ID, while Publication 1345 allows employer ID, school ID, and so on.

The HTML version of pub 1345 is a little more recent than the PDF and makes it more clear that they're talking about the electronic signatures. https://www.irs.gov/uac/Electronic-S...-8878-and-8879 - that subsection is now titled "Electronic Signature Via In-Person Transaction".

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
                              I think the handbook is talking about something different - specifically electronic signatures. You'll notice that it is in the "Electronic Signature Guidance for Forms 8878 and 8879" section of the publication. Also that it allows a lot more options. The new field is driver's license or state ID, while Publication 1345 allows employer ID, school ID, and so on.

The HTML version of pub 1345 is a little more recent than the PDF and makes it more clear that they're talking about the electronic signatures. https://www.irs.gov/uac/Electronic-S...-8878-and-8879 - that subsection is now titled "Electronic Signature Via In-Person Transaction".
                              Agree, but there is nothing as of today that the info for driver's license or state ID is required on the return.

If you look at the DRAFT 1040 & 8879 no such fields/areas.

Be interesting to know if only Pro Series or other software vendors.

Still too early.

Comment

Working...
                              X