Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extensions. What type of cuttoff deadline do others use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
    I've started my cut off today. If it is a "simple" return I might still get it out before 15th. Anything else is on extension. This week is spring break so I am sure I will hear from some next week.
    April 10th for simple returns.
    Complex returns will get an extension after April 5th, although I will attempt to finish as many as I can by the 15th.

Comment

We are not taking any appointments next week & anyone who drops off will be told they may need an extension. We try to get everyone done even if they drop off stuff 4/14.

I have called several clients that procrastinate and asked them to have their stuff in early next week. I like having 98% of the tax returns done by April 15 with few extension. I like the feeling of having most of them done on April 15th.

We usually decide what to do with returns not done on April 14th. My boss (who is 80) likes to get things done and why put someone on extension if you can get the return finished.

Comment

I can relate

Originally posted by tpnl View Post

We usually decide what to do with returns not done on April 14th. My boss (who is 80) likes to get things done and why put someone on extension if you can get the return finished.
        I actually can relate to that. I keep working at my regular pace though, get done what I can. No extraordinary measures. No hand holding on PITA clients who can't pull it together. But if somebody comes in here Wednesday with just a W-2, I promise you, I'll get it done.
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
          I actually can relate to that. I keep working at my regular pace though, get done what I can. No extraordinary measures. No hand holding on PITA clients who can't pull it together. But if somebody comes in here Wednesday with just a W-2, I promise you, I'll get it done.
          Which Wednesday?
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I knew somebody would say it

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
            Which Wednesday?
            The Wednesday after today and before the 15th, you little rat.
            If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
              Many, many years ago I had a business partner and we worked just like that. There was always this adrenaline rush on the 13th-15th as we juggled last-minute clients coming in and calling people whom we decided to extend at the last minute. We would even have someone on standby to make a last-minute rush with signed returns to a local post office that stayed open late (I'm sure many on this forum remember those days). Then one year he had a heart attack around Apr 10.

Those last 5 days were without a doubt the worst period of time in my entire tax preparation career.
              I'll never be in a situation like that again.
              Never.
              Last edited by JohnH; 04-04-2014, 09:30 PM.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
              X