Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extensions. What type of cuttoff deadline do others use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extensions. What type of cuttoff deadline do others use.

I was just wondering how I compare to others. I use a cutoff of April 1 and at that time start warning everyone they could be extension. I have a backlog to get finished up. How do you guys handle.

I don't schedule any evening or weekend appts after March 15th. My last office appts are on April 8. Anyone coming in after April 1 is advised that they may be on extension.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Mine is today, for guarantee by 4/15. After that, I can probably do most who get it here by the end of this week. After that, maybe - maybe not.

Comment

Here at our office it is about 8pm or so April 15th. I just love those folks that come straggling in around 6-7 pm on the
        15th. Would just like to smack them one. Years ago they had the story of the client that came wandering in around 10pm. Needless to say the party had been well in swing by that time so everyone had had a few by that time. The client still wanted his return done and they did do it.

Comment

Sometimes I use March 20, but have backed it back to March 15 or earlier. This year I set March 10 as the drop dead date. Everything coming in after that date went/goes on extension. Many of them still get completed before Apr 15, but even if I don't circle back to them, there's no problem. Following a policy like that just makes Apr 15 another work day - nothing special about it at all. I usually spend the 15th reviewing extensions, maybe completing one or two returns just to amuse myself, then take my wife out to dinner to enjoy the end of the filing season.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I play it by ear

My first utterance of the E-word was Friday when the Realtor dropped off the spreadsheet where nothing was lined up and the formulas add half the columns. You know, the average Realtor. Figured it was a good time for the "you may be getting an extension" line. Then, on Monday, there was his envelope taped to my door which may or may not contain everything he was missing Friday. I shot him a text: "Come back and get an extension request and mail them a check." So I guess I'm official now.

I don't tell clients a deadline because I am afraid they WILL all drop off, and I will feel obligated to get them all done. I don't want to impose that on myself. I would rather get extensions than kill myself getting everything done because I indirectly shot myself in the foot. I realize I don't have to guarantee anything, but I doubt they would extend a lot of mercy if I didn't produce. Just my take on it.
            If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I was going to start using the E word about 15 March. That week, I felt on track so didn't worry. Then over 20 people dropped off that week, and I was buried by the time I was able to mutter E on 18 March. Next year, it may be more like 10 March, especially if Congress delays tax season again.

Comment

Seems a lot of you do a lot of extensions. I guess what I don't quite get is that you still generally have to do their return to figure out what if any tax is due anyway so why not just finish the return in most cases.
                Personally I hate doing returns that folks just drop off the information, just end up with way too many questions. Do only 2 or 3 all year. Like to have them present and get it done on the spot. Just my two cents.

Comment

i would die

Originally posted by ddoshan View Post
                  Seems a lot of you do a lot of extensions. I guess what I don't quite get is that you still generally have to do their return to figure out what if any tax is due anyway so why not just finish the return in most cases.
                  Personally I hate doing returns that folks just drop off the information, just end up with way too many questions. Do only 2 or 3 all year. Like to have them present and get it done on the spot. Just my two cents.

I would die. Or kill someone. I have too many like the Realtor up there for one thing. He didn't even know what he was missing till he went home. And, I can't tell you how many times I have thought of things I needed to do after I slept on it. And sometimes I have to research. There, I said it. It's true; I don't know everything.

For another thing, I have year round bookkeeping and payrolls going on, it's pretty casual here with people coming and going.

I also don't want people sitting here watching me work. The new clients that dropped off yesterday asked if I would review their prior returns. He said, "I really don't see how the guy did it with us sitting there and her yakking the whole time."
                  If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I really don't want someone sitting in front of me for 4 or 12 or more hours while I prepare their returns! Distractions could lead to errors. And, how can I proofread immediately? You don't see your own errors until you have fresh eyes; so sleeping on it and proofreading the next day is more accurate. We probably wouldn't have boards like this if we all knew everything and didn't have to research an issue before completing a return. I prefer my clients answers in writing for my files/CYA and not just verbal, so it's better if they're at home when answering my questions. And, husband and wife seldom have time to come in together, so I'm still asking questions. I track my questions, then when I've prepared all I can I email them my list of questions to get written answers back.

I can make more money all year than I can in three months, so extensions are better for my business plan. If I expect they will owe, I can estimate using round numbers. But, many of the extensions are missing information, so there's no possibility I can complete them now. I prepare the estimates with what we know and what we suspect. But, if they won't have their sale of home information, for example, until they return from vacation then they go on extension with what we know; I'm not going to file an incomplete return now only to amend later. Many clients fall into the no P&I due to greater withholding this year than tax liability last year, so that takes just seconds to determine.

Comment

4/4/14

this year. All meetings next week are for clients who got their stuff in before that date.

Comment

I use about March 26 as the date I advise of possible extensions. Beginning next monday, I start working on extensions and no further final returns will be prepared except for the smallest of returns.

An old friend in the business once told me that more mistakes on tax returns are made in the last two weeks before filing deadline than the rest of the year combined. Don't know if true, bit it is probably close.

The way I describe it to my clients is "Come in Feb / early March and you catch us fresh and sharp - come in late March early April and were tired.

Comment

I agree with your friend completely.

If I were a client, the last thing I'd want is to have my return prepared by a tired, cranky, sleep deprived person masquerading as a tax preparation martyr.

The clients really aren't impressed by their tax preparers' stamina. They only say the complimentary things in order to get what they want - a last-minute return prepared & signed by someone they can blame if something goes wrong.
                          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by ddoshan View Post
                            Here at our office it is about 8pm or so April 15th. I just love those folks that come straggling in around 6-7 pm on the
                            15th. Would just like to smack them one. Years ago they had the story of the client that came wandering in around 10pm. Needless to say the party had been well in swing by that time so everyone had had a few by that time. The client still wanted his return done and they did do it.
                            Gee, and I thought I was strict as far as a cutoff of noon on April 15th. But you win it, hand's down.
                            ChEAr$,
                            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I've started my cut off today. If it is a "simple" return I might still get it out before 15th. Anything else is on extension. This week is spring break so I am sure I will hear from some next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X