Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use tax preparers to sign up folks for Obamacare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reacting to the insurance forms

Originally posted by buzzardbreath View Post
    We'd have to be plum Tennessee lulu to involve ourselves in this mess.

Not that we won't be asked. A couple friends tell me before they can get quotes, they have to give ALL their personal contact information that doesn't have a thing to do with health...home address, ss #, employer, etc. That way if they decide not to buy any of this coverage, the authorities know exactly where to find them 24 hrs a day to wreak punitive measures on them.
    Can a TN lulu event lead to a NC hissy fit ? ? ?

I had not even thought of that aspect, but I should have learned after all the cold calls I've received once the PTIN public info went on sale to all the tax vendors of the world.

Right now it's all I can handle from "Rachel" at Credit Card Services ("this is your last call!!" several times a month), or the infamous "The FBI reports. . . ." Don't even get me started about the calls during election season, which is now approaching something like three years and eleven months out of every four years.

Rest assured that "private" information for the insurance quotes will somehow/someway eventually result in more harassment from people who want to sell us something we do not want. George Orwell was probably onto something. . .

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
      I had not even thought of that aspect, but I should have learned after all the cold calls I've received once the PTIN public info went on sale to all the tax vendors of the world.FE
      Is this information available on some public site that anyone can access? Interesting, but I have not received one call that I can assign to this source. Of course, I usually hang up if there is a pause, or it is obvious it is a robo-call. So I never hear what they are saying.

Comment

Source of calls

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        Is this information available on some public site that anyone can access? Interesting, but I have not received one call that I can assign to this source. Of course, I usually hang up if there is a pause, or it is obvious it is a robo-call. So I never hear what they are saying.
        It is my (always) limited understanding that, in compliance with the FOIA, just about anyone can obtain the public tax info related to a person with a valid PTIN. Even the IRS would sell anyone a CDROM ? And I'm sure the trolls out there also have their own "directory" available for a higher sales fee.

As for calls, emails, whatever: It is only within the last couple of years that I have been bombarded with snail mail/email/phone calls from just about every tax software and related products provider in the free world. Along with such are similar calls for "supplies" such as folders, pens, calendars, and whatever. My own tax software provider has a firm policy of not divulging subscribers' info. And I have not "advertised" within the past two decades....learned my lesson well!!

So, assuming my alumni association does not maintain a very selective list of subscribers, about the only logical conclusion is I am being pestered due to information related to my public PTIN stuff. (And I would seriously doubt if any such correlation would occur along the EFIN avenue.)

My guess is those who have a dedicated business telephone number and/or location and/or email separate from their home (think Sch C) information might not be bothered as much.

Choose your poison, I guess.

FE

Oh yes: It is my conclusion that the "Do Not Call" list functions at about the same level of usefulness as "You can KEEP your doctor. . ."

Comment

You can order the is list here:

Comment

The IRS also posts a list, by zip code, of everyone who has an EFIN. It does not show the EFIN itself, but gives the name and address of anyone who is authorized to e-file.

People looking for a tax prepare probably seldom access the list, but advertisers are well aware of it and use it in attempting to sell pens, calendars, software or other items you might want.
            Last edited by taxxcpa; 11-18-2013, 11:52 AM.

Comment

My local H&R Block is now open

I was wondering why my local H&R Block office was open when usually its still closed this time of year. I have always wondered why HRB, JW etc. dont stay open year round and market financial products like auto insurance if their clientele is low income since auto ins is mandated in AZ.

There are "Navagators" out there that, depending on the state, may or may not be required to obtain a health insurance license. For those of us that are health insurance licensed, it basically not much different if you posses a life/annuities insurance license and market life ins, annuities etc. I too prepared a MA tax return and a question appeared on the MA form asking if the TP had health insurance in that tax year.

Comment

Working...
              X