Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use tax preparers to sign up folks for Obamacare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use tax preparers to sign up folks for Obamacare?

You gotta be kidding me !!

LINK--->>> Article

FE

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
    You gotta be kidding me !!

LINK--->>> Article

FE
    For $200 per hour, I'll walk them through it.

Comment

Like I don't have enough to do now.......And in order to compete, I have to do it for nothing............................
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I'm still wondering how the IRS will figure out if a non-insured tax payer has health insurance or not unless it is a voluntary declaration by the taxpayer.

Comment

Well, they could always require the preparer to look at documentation, under threat of a fine of, oh say $1,000 or so.
          And apply the penalty even if the fee were $150 - $350 for preparing the return...

But IRS wouldn't take such Draconian measures against their private sector "partners" now, would they?
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

You have to be certified in the new ACA (Affordable Care Act) to work with people on it. Insurance agents cannot sell a new Health Insurance Policy under ACA until they get certified.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
              Well, they could always require the preparer to look at documentation, under threat of a fine of, oh say $1,000 or so.
              And apply the penalty even if the fee were $150 - $350 for preparing the return...

But IRS wouldn't take such Draconian measures against their private sector "partners" now, would they?
              We only prepare just over 50% of returns and I'm guessing the majority of the uninsured are in the other 50%.
              Just guessing. I had one client who was uninsured. Her father was a client of mine and she basically never worked a day in her life (never married / no kids of her own either). She became my client at 62ish and she hoped and prayed nothing happened until Medicare kicked in. She inherited enough that Medicaid was never an option.

Comment

Mass requires a policy number on their tax return.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I agree with a couple of things said in the article:

Author Howard Gleckman says: "At first, the idea seems bizarre..." (and secondly and thirdly and on and on...). I agree.

Jackson-Hewitt's VP Brian Haile says: "It's a no-brainer." I agree that to offer enrollment services and Medicaid sign-up (that app has got to be a doozy) to boot at no charge requires someone with no brain.

Seems like it would take considerable time to actually get around to preparing the customer's taxes. I sincerely hope that JH, Block, and TT take Gleckman's last piece of advice: "And tax firms ought to seize the opportunity." (I wonder if Gleckman ever "seized the opportunity" to work for nothing?)

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
                    I'm still wondering how the IRS will figure out if a non-insured tax payer has health insurance or not unless it is a voluntary declaration by the taxpayer.
                    But of course it will voluntary and on the honor system. Just like the statement to the insurance companies, "I do not smoke."
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Maybe to make it work, the insurance companies will have to issue some kind of 1099-like form showing policy number and whether it qualifies for Obamacare. Then, on the tax return, you will have to enter that information for the IRS to cross check.

Comment

Yep, the insurance companies need to file and send out forms at the end of the years. It includes your Social Security Number so the IRS computers will match it.

IRC 36B(f)(3) lists the requirements:

(3) Information requirement
                        Each Exchange (or any person carrying out 1 or more responsibilities of an Exchange under section 1311(f)(3) or 1321(c) of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act) shall provide the following information to the Secretary and to the taxpayer with respect to any health plan provided through the Exchange:
                        (A) The level of coverage described in section 1302(d) of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the period such coverage was in effect.
                        (B) The total premium for the coverage without regard to the credit under this section or cost-sharing reductions under section 1402 of such Act.
                        (C) The aggregate amount of any advance payment of such credit or reductions under section 1412 of such Act.
                        (D) The name, address, and TIN of the primary insured and the name and TIN of each other individual obtaining coverage under the policy.
                        (E) Any information provided to the Exchange, including any change of circumstances, necessary to determine eligibility for, and the amount of, such credit.
                        (F) Information necessary to determine whether a taxpayer has received excess advance payments.
                        Last edited by TaxGuyBill; 11-16-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

The Secretary??

What secretary does this go to? The IRS would need it if it is going on the tax return so they could match it to information shown on the tax return. I suppose the IRS could get it from the Secretary just as it gets W-2 information from the SSA.

Comment

Massacheussets has a similar insuranc company type form to attach to the state return, that what will happen with the 1040.

Comment

Certifiably Insane

We'd have to be plum Tennessee lulu to involve ourselves in this mess.

Not that we won't be asked. A couple friends tell me before they can get quotes, they have to give ALL their personal contact information that doesn't have a thing to do with health...home address, ss #, employer, etc. That way if they decide not to buy any of this coverage, the authorities know exactly where to find them 24 hrs a day to wreak punitive measures on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X