Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair

To RLymanC -

I've felt all along (most of) the problem was related to the PATH command. (The error message was something related to "runtime error.") I just checked and there is already a lengthy PATH command in place on my C: drive.

I may first try FC on a flash drive, then deal with related FC PATH changes for drive D: E: or whatever it will be. If that works, I may try to put relevant files onto the main hard drive.

My concerns are two: 1) messing up operating structure for main files on computer and 2) having to deal with a start/stop (reboot) scenario whenever FC would be accessed. Either would be counterproductive!

Thanks for your input. Hopefully I will soon be on the right.....path !!

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post

I do have Win7 Home Premium installed, and Win XP on an older (or is it newer??) laptop. Neither will run PFS First Choice, even when starting at the Command Prompt. Perhaps part of the problem is that Win7 is a 64-bit operating system, far advanced from whatever came with the old Win 98 system. I read things like this ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767 ) and my eyes immediately glaze over. Is something like this procedure a possible solution??

FE
      In able to run MSDOS programs, the Windows 7 must be the Professional edition, and not the home or home premium edition.

That help?
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
        No-no Harlan.
        That's John of PA running Lotus 1-2-3.
        OOps! My apologies to John of PA. (grin
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Unanswered question.... Can my network server be Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 and my workstations be XP without any problems? If so, I only have 1 computer to upgrade next year.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Free DOS

If you have a old computer that still works try the Free DOS http://www.freedos.org/download/

to run old DOS programs that you may still have for old times sake.

The other day I was showing a friend my very first Tax spreadsheet created on a Lotus knockoff called the TWIN.
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Need to think about this option!

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
              If you have a old computer that still works try the Free DOS http://www.freedos.org/download/

to run old DOS programs that you may still have for old times sake.

The other day I was showing a friend my very first Tax spreadsheet created on a Lotus knockoff called the TWIN.
              The following would tend to worry me a bit. . . .

"FreeDOS is a complete operating system. If you choose to install this on your computer, you may overwrite the operating system you have now (for example, Windows.) If this is not what you intend, please stop now."

FE

Comment

That is why I said if you have a spare computer for DOS purpose.

I still have a 486DX2 computer in my attic with DOS. It has 640kb memory and a 20MB Seagate hard drive. Those old computers are hard to kill no matter how much you abused them. My kids did a job on it but it survived.
                Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
                X