WINDOWS XP GOING TO DIE (no more support) 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WINDOWS XP GOING TO DIE (no more support) 2014

For all those XP users, what plan do you have for next year. Buying all new computers? Buying a new PC server only? Will xp desktops work with windows 7 or 8 servers?
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

It won't die, just won't be updates. I have a Dos 6.22 machine running Windows for Workgroups that still functions.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

My software company (cs) says that there could be functionality problems going forward, after 4/9/14. I realize that 2013 tax year programs will be safe but 2014 and after may not function properly as all new software updates will not consider Windows XP.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

We'll Wait and See

Windows used to "own" customers and be able to force updates on them. After Windows 3.2, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, people got tired of buying a new car every time they paint new stripes on the road. It might be said that Windows 98 was the last operating system that would accept all updated software -- undoubtedly the most stable system they've had. After Windows 2000 gave problems, The Microsoft solution was the XP, and people have been afraid to leave it.

After years of being able to cram new products down our throats, Microsoft had to finally come to grips with reality when they decided to market their VISTA product. It was a bad product, so users simply held on to their XP units. After 2-3 of market failure, Microsoft decided to FORCE people to buy Vista by totally discontinuing their XP.

The public was not going to be bullied around this time. No XP? The public responded by not buying any new computers. I think the final result was Windows had to rescue the situation by cleaning up the Vista mess, deploying Windows 7, and discontinuing the ill-fated Vista.

After 13 years of XP, it might be that the time has come to move on. Dunno. We'll wait and see.

Comment

That was a great response.... I'll wait and see also...... But if all else fails, I need to have plan B thought out and be able to make a change when the time comes by knowing my options.

Comment

Insight into holding on to Win XP

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
            My software company (cs) says that there could be functionality problems going forward, after 4/9/14. I realize that 2013 tax year programs will be safe but 2014 and after may not function properly as all new software updates will not consider Windows XP.
            That is exactly the major problem to be faced, when "support" ends.

You may have a perfectly fine Win XP computer up and running, and your current software encounters no problems. (Likely the same software would also run in Vista or Win7 or Win8 or whatever.) But when Win XP support fades into the darkness, that software (often depending upon its complexity) might no longer operate with the arrival of a 2015 version. A similar fate met software which once was designed to work in Windows 3.2, or W 1998, or W 2000, or .... If you cling to your old computer, you are definitely living on borrowed time! It is far better to deal with the need to upgrade to a newer system soon, and fight your way through the necessary learning curves, than to unbox/download some software next January and then suddenly realize it will no longer run on your old computer.

Another issue to show how things change is the following: I was cleaning out some old emails/"favorites"/etc that had been rattling around in a semi-archival state. A very large number of some of those older stored web page links were gone (no surprise) but many others would only partially load, and would flash error notices of varied types. It is that type of scenario you will (eventually) face by hanging on to a Win XP system...."bless its heart."

But in the matter of full disclosure: I still have an older DOS program (PFS First Choice) running on an old Windows 98 computer I keep in the corner when I need to access some files stored there. It really bugs me there is no way (that I've been able to find) to run that DOS program on either my Win XP computer (laptop inherited from daughter) or my current Win7 computer. Yes, I know you can access the Command prompt, but the First Choice DOS software (while not fancy) needs "path" statements and related subdirectories to function properly. You would think some computer geek could come up with a solution, but I guess there is no/little demand for such. The best I've been able to find is over-priced commercial software which will "convert" the FC data files into formats more suitable for software such as Excel.

Enough of my rambling. Bottom line: Like it or not, other than running "old" software it is not a productive approach to put your newer eggs into a Win XP basket. At some point, whenever that is, you WILL only have nothing more than omelet material!

FE

Comment

You can run DOS in Win XP

I still use DOS, Lotus 123 DOS with some old spreadsheet files from 20 years ago that I still use. You can run DOS in XP, just click RUN then type the word COMMAND and a DOS window pops up. Type EXIT to get out. As for buying a new computer, I am going to go one more tax season with XP, then I will probably buy Win 8 next fall (after the bugs are out of it). Drake told me thier software is still running fine on XP. Hope it all works out well for you, thanks for those detailed sharings on this subject.

Comment

Running DOS in XP

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
                I still use DOS, Lotus 123 DOS with some old spreadsheet files from 20 years ago that I still use. You can run DOS in XP, just click RUN then type the word COMMAND and a DOS window pops up. Type EXIT to get out. As for buying a new computer, I am going to go one more tax season with XP, then I will probably buy Win 8 next fall (after the bugs are out of it). Drake told me thier software is still running fine on XP. Hope it all works out well for you, thanks for those detailed sharings on this subject.
                Sorry, that is just not true for PFS First Choice.

There is a distinct difference between the Command prompt in Win XP (or even Win7) versus the separate MS/DOS option available in Windows 98 or similar.

I will be glad to send you the software, and you can see what happens.

FE

Comment

That is correct. The XP DOS box lacks several functionality available in the actual DOS operating system. Windows 98 handles DOS programs much better.

But my question is why would you not convert your old spreadsheets in DOS to windows. When I first got Windows 98 that was one of the first things I did was to convert all the old DOS spreadsheets and documents to Windows. Since then each upgrade Excel and Word just reads directly the spreadsheet or document and when I go to save gives me the option to save in the new format. Just 1 click.
                  Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

ZOUNDS! JohnH still uses Lotus 1-2-3? EVEN I am amazed.

In fact I am consider archaic by some because I still use Microsoft's Works spreadsheet. If I ever do have a problem with an Excel file, there's always that "FREE" (my favorite word) Open Office spreadsheet.

Back to the issue though. Still ah XP user here on office computer. It still handles my good old DOS programs written in QBasic starting back in 1978. Windows 7 Professional edition does have MSDOS capability; one accounting uses my old DOS payroll programs which then mesh well with my own as far as file structure is concerned.

So, does Windows 8 also have this MSDOS capability same as Windows 7? What I'm thinking of maybe is a new computer and also running the XP machine side by side, with maybe switches to route the display. Also not sure if possible but multiple printer cables, the old serial (or is it parallel? I forget) for the XP to the Brother printer and a USB one from the new computer.

Opinions or advice anyone?
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

DOS?

Computers pretty much peaked around 1987, all just a lateral movement since then I guess.

I remember my first spreadsheet and word processing program worked via DOS and both fit on a single 5.25" floppy.
                      My LOTUS 123 was on something like 25 x 3.5" disks and I bought it used. Took forever to load and was probably 35 MBs in size.

Comment

No-no Harlan.
                        That's John of PA running Lotus 1-2-3.

I'm running Excel 97.

And until about 1-1/2 years ago, I still had a client who was recording her sales reports and check register in an Appleworks spreadsheet & data base on an Apple IIe. Honest truth. I still have the floppy disks and dot matrix printouts I'm keeping until the SOL runs.
                        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Still hitting the wall with Win7 and MS-DOS

I wish I knew what ChEAr$ knows.

As for PFS First Choice, I have done everything I possibly know trying to get it to run in a Win7 environment. Simplest was to create a new subdirectory on the hard drive, and then copy all relevant related subdirectories "beneath" it. FAIL. Also went to Win 98 system, copied the entire directory tree (intact) of PFS First Choice software/data files from hard drive onto a flash drive, and then inserted said flash drive into appropriate location on Win7 system. Using command prompt, went to root directory of the flash drive, typed appropriate word..... FAIL.

My experience has been exactly that as described by ATSMAN. While it is true some "simple" DOS programs might work (to include some old timey DOS commands we knew and loved from the days of 5 1/4" floppy disks) in Win7, that does not mean you have a fully functioning MS-DOS system you can use.

Or stated more succinctly: The mere presence of the Command Prompt found under the Accessories folder of Win7 does not equate with the software processing actions available when you select "MS-DOS Prompt" from the Programs folder of Win 98.

I would love to be at least 100% wrong in my conclusion (so I could send the old computer to a suitable cushioned cardboard box in the sky) but from everything I've been able to do....I think there is simply no way to run PFS First Choice in a Win7 system, regardless of the presence of the Command Prompt and the Exit function and whatever else.

P-L-E-A-S-E prove me wrong!

I do have Win7 Home Premium installed, and Win XP on an older (or is it newer??) laptop. Neither will run PFS First Choice, even when starting at the Command Prompt. Perhaps part of the problem is that Win7 is a 64-bit operating system, far advanced from whatever came with the old Win 98 system. I read things like this ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767 ) and my eyes immediately glaze over. Is something like this procedure a possible solution??

FE

Comment

Lotus 123 DOS runs fine in XP, not sure about the PFS program, sorry it does not work well, it makes sense that the XP DOS has limitations, I think Microsoft put it in to appease programmers who still like doing some of thier functions from the dos prompt becasue it's much faster and more effecient thant the cluttered windows screens. 2 reasons I did not convert over the DOS Lotus files (I did convert some), I had over a huindred 123 files so it would be too big a task, and also I can "fly" on 123 DOS much faster then excel, It's just lightening fast on newer machines. The 123 files have been phasing out over the years and I'm down to just a few at this time, but the slow transition worked well for me.

Comment

PFS First Choice

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                              I wish I knew what ChEAr$ knows.

As for PFS First Choice, I have done everything I possibly know trying to get it to run in a Win7 environment. Simplest was to create a new subdirectory on the hard drive, and then copy all relevant related subdirectories "beneath" it. FAIL. Also went to Win 98 system, copied the entire directory tree (intact) of PFS First Choice software/data files from hard drive onto a flash drive, and then inserted said flash drive into appropriate location on Win7 system. Using command prompt, went to root directory of the flash drive, typed appropriate word..... FAIL.

My experience has been exactly that as described by ATSMAN. While it is true some "simple" DOS programs might work (to include some old timey DOS commands we knew and loved from the days of 5 1/4" floppy disks) in Win7, that does not mean you have a fully functioning MS-DOS system you can use.

Or stated more succinctly: The mere presence of the Command Prompt found under the Accessories folder of Win7 does not equate with the software processing actions available when you select "MS-DOS Prompt" from the Programs folder of Win 98.

I would love to be at least 100% wrong in my conclusion (so I could send the old computer to a suitable cushioned cardboard box in the sky) but from everything I've been able to do....I think there is simply no way to run PFS First Choice in a Win7 system, regardless of the presence of the Command Prompt and the Exit function and whatever else.

P-L-E-A-S-E prove me wrong!

I do have Win7 Home Premium installed, and Win XP on an older (or is it newer??) laptop. Neither will run PFS First Choice, even when starting at the Command Prompt. Perhaps part of the problem is that Win7 is a 64-bit operating system, far advanced from whatever came with the old Win 98 system. I read things like this ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767 ) and my eyes immediately glaze over. Is something like this procedure a possible solution??

FE

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/19...rogram-choice#.

In summary, the solution is to create a .CMD (Command) file which will set the environment variables for PFS: First Choice. Once the environment variables have been established, run command prompt, switch to the PFS: First Choice folder (cd\first) then run first1.exe. Unless there is a another environment variable interfering with PFS: First Choice environment variables, the program should run.
                              Last edited by RLymanC; 10-18-2013, 04:34 PM.
                              Confucius say:
                              He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Working...
                              X