No announcement yet.

Timely question - Is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I have asked some questions that after 17 years of preparing taxes I should know. Like the HOH question I asked a few days ago. I read and read on the HOH/dependent question but after awhile it seemed to go altogether. I try my best to find answers to my questions before posting them on the board. As Linda said I am a one person office and sometimes I just need reassurance.

I do not really mind the "you should know that" questions. I think everyone has been in that position.

Also, I am bad to say "I have a Client that". Just habit and southern grammar I guess. I talk to people who say "holt" for the word hold, say worser instead of worse, etc. Not everyone has perfect grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
      We have the choice to ignore them, or even block them if we so desire.
      We can block a poster? How?

Comment

Originally posted by ddoshan View Post
        OK now help with when to use effect verses affect. I suspect I normally use the terms interchangeably. What will be the (effect / affect) of climate change?
        Try to remember that "effect" is a noun and "affect" is a verb. (Hint: "a" for action.) That might help. So the answer is......effect. The one I have to think about is farther/further. Farther is actual distance; further is not.

Comment

southern diction

When I was dating my husband (45 years ago) my mother couldn't get over the way he said the word "help". He would say "hep". My mother picked at that for the longest time. Guess she has gotten over it now. Or maybe he learned how to speak correctly. He was from the country south of Plant City. He used to go to school without shoes. We had moved from Michigan a few years before and she was having trouble adjusting to the southern drawl.

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            We can block a poster? How?
            Well, it does not block them from posting, but it will hide their posts. You can see they have posted, but not what they wrote. If you really want to see what they said, you can click on the post to view it.

Click on "Settings" above the search box on top right of page. Then look under "My Settings" on the left side of the new page for "My Account" and the link for "Edit Ignore List". You can then enter the username of the person you wish to "block". You can always remove them from the ignore list at any time. There might be an easier way to do this, but I do not see it - at least on my iPad.

Comment

Originally posted by ddoshan
              How about using "who" to refer to a person and "that" to refer to a situashion?

OK now help with when to use effect verses affect. I suspect I normally use the terms interchangeably. What will be the (effect / affect) of climate change?
              Who are you talking about that does that?

Just kidding dosher 'cause I also wince at a few of these. However; having said THAT, we must remember there's always someone faster on the draw versus we sharper types.

Comment

To Ruth C

Originally posted by ruthc View Post
                I can't believe at such a busy tax time as this is that someone would spend their time writing here to rant about "THAT' versus" "WHO" when you couldn't even make sure you spelled "SITUATION" correctly.
                Ruth, I know the ChEAr$ guy quite well, and given the tone of the discussion, I'm sure he decided he would fly-bait a ridiculous comment in order to parody some of the complaints. He wanted to see if some fish would bite.

You bit.

Seriously, I enjoy your posts, and wish you would post more often.

Snag- [I got mine by opening bottle caps in my mouth] -gletooth

Comment

Suggestion for some

Before posting, do a serach most likely using a form that relates to your question. I have located quite a few answers in that way. Ok, now for dumb question. Are you guys kidding or can I really activate spell check and if so how?

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                    Try to remember that "effect" is a noun and "affect" is a verb. (Hint: "a" for action.) That might help. So the answer is......effect. The one I have to think about is farther/further. Farther is actual distance; further is not.
                    Thank you so very much. I never found a good answer to that. It even comes with a "Eselsbruecke" (donkey bridge). This is the term we use in Germany for hints to remember.

Comment

True enough

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea
                      southern diction

When I was dating my husband (45 years ago) my mother couldn't get over the way he said the word "help". He would say "hep". My mother picked at that for the longest time. Guess she has gotten over it now. Or maybe he learned how to speak correctly. He was from the country south of Plant City. He used to go to school without shoes. We had moved from Michigan a few years before and she was having trouble adjusting to the southern drawl. Linda, EA
                      Lots of people in the South drop their "L"s -- I had a farm chemical salesman client who sold a product called "Amplify" and he sold it for years pronouncing it "Ampify". He once asked me to write up an ad so he could sell it locally and when done, he informed me that I had misspelled his product's name. He was astounded when I pointed it out -- just didn't even realize it.

On the other hand my uncle moved "up North" to Illinois (ella-noise here) and came back years later saying "I tink I need to do so-and-so."

So, it works both ways; Yanks aren't immune.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                        I think Harlan has a valid point.
                        And when it comes to good grammar, I've always found him to be a man that I can count on.
                        Well, he's a pretty good old boy alright, but those Alabama woods are full of 'em. And it all depends on the sitcheashun -- sometimes if he's got a snootfull of that pricey 90-day old likker he favors there's no tellin' what he's liable to say.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                          I think Harlan has a valid point.
                          And when it comes to good grammar, I've always found him to be a man that I can count on.
                          Yes, he is also a man upon whom I can count for good tax advice.

As they always say, never end a sentence with a proposition.

Comment

at least not to

Originally posted by taxxcpa View Post
                            Yes, he is also a man upon whom I can count for good tax advice.

As they always say, never end a sentence with a proposition.
                            an undercover cop.

Comment

Working...
                            X