Timely question - Is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timely question - Is it just me?

I know we all are currently stressed/overworked/running on fumes and whatever other symptoms you wish to add.

HOWEVER, is it just me or are there not a lot of "questions" recently showing up on these boards where at least first using a token amount of personal initiative might get closer to an answer? For some posts I almost mutter under my breath "And you present yourself as a tax professional, but you do not know the answer to ---- ??"

Tax forms have instructions, operating/tax software has manuals/tech support, and Google works quite well in many ways. Why not use those sources before posting some "Help me!" threads here??

Granted, there are all kinds of levels of knowledge available on the TTB boards, and we each were at one time a newby. Many/most of the board members are more than willing to help out others with very difficult and/or unusual situations. I know some here have offered wonderful advice to me, and every now and then I can find something from my own personal tax knowledge/experiences that can guide someone else through a difficult scenario.

For my 2ยข worth, I think there should be some level of professionalism here that might elevate the questions posed and discussion levels of same somewhat above those of what you might see in a public chat room.

And while I'm on a roll.....today's magic phrase is "spell check" !!

OK....lunch break and mini-rant are now concluded.

FE

Don't Know How to Fix It

Federal Duke, I know what you're talking about but don't know how anyone can make the board more compatible with everyone's experience level. I am much like yourself - I have taken and have given, but perhaps have taken more than given.

Registration is required so that everyone is either a TaxBook customer or close to someone who is. People such as ourselves are at various skill levels along the spectrum, but they are nonetheless customers and it would seem very trite for the moderators to jump in and screen for motive and content as well as the other things they have to look for.

Some of those who post, by obvious analysis of what they ask, are so neophyte that they should be taking courses instead of relying on the board for their education. We have the choice to ignore them, or even block them if we so desire. We know who most of them are and don't have to call names. But they are still customers nonetheless.

Some of us are grizzled veterans, yet still use the board instead of relying on cites. Quite frankly, many of the cites are not readily understandable, and many of us screen out what we don't want to read. We can get a better grasp by asking our cohorts and getting a response in plain English.

Some of the posts are annoying - maybe even some of the personalities themselves are annoying. But we all have human traits and if we had rigid expectations which limit human behavior, there might not be many of us left.

Comment

I agree with Nashville. I also like to add that experience in a certain area is more valuable than just the law. Sometimes I desire to get an response from someone who has experience to use that as a pointer and don't expect to get a final answer. Sometimes I am so lost in a new area that I don't even know how to ask the question. Then, any search is impossible. Sometimes I am surprised how much I know in a specific area.

Comment

I know I probably ask some stupid questions on this board. When you are alone in an office and your brain is fried, it just helps to be able to bounce something off someone else in the business. We might have figured out what the answer is and just want confirmation. It is very nice to be able to communicate with someone who understands what you are dealing with.

I don't read all of the posts. I read the ones that I think I might learn something from and ones that deal with the type of returns and clients I have. I do read ones I think I might be able to answer intelligently.

If I start reading and I think it is going off the wall or not to my benefit, I just move on. That way what is on the board doesn't ever bother me (unless someone gets nasty....which hardly ever happens).

FEDUKE, if you think the question is too simple, just pass by it. It might help someone else on the board to read it. Life is too short and too precious to let things bother us, especially things we can't control. (I started to say little things but what is little to me might be big to you)

Linda, EA

Comment

OK.
          I activated my spell check.
          Now I don't have to worry about any more spelling errers.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Personally I generally like some of the repetitive even basic questions. They help to reinforce, review, etc. general knowledge and keep things fresh in mind.
            Bottom line is I don't mind most any question, even though the poster probably could have found the answer quite quickly in the Pub or Tax Book.

Comment

This is why we use the board

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
              Some of us are grizzled veterans, yet still use the board instead of relying on cites. Quite frankly, many of the cites are not readily understandable, and many of us screen out what we don't want to read. We can get a better grasp by asking our cohorts and getting a response in plain English.
              I'll give you a perfect example. Many of us are members of NATP. Along with your membership fee comes one FREE answer to a tax question by their staff of experts.

The first and second years of my membership I did make use of this Free Question. Won't bore you with the topic but I received an answer via e-mail attachment promptly (day or two). About half of the "answer" was filled with caveats that assured their answer was strictly situational and not to be relied upon except in the narrow circumstances to which it applied. [In other words "don't sue us"] The remainder of their "answer" consisted of direct quotations from codes and regs and cross-references to other regulations, and links to counsel rulings, etc.

The answer to my second-year question was a repeat performance of Year 1. I didn't understand the answer any better than I did when I asked the question, even after reading the material.

We have warm-bodied human beings on this board who are far more helpful than the scenario described above. And we can pick and choose if we don't like or relate to the topic...

Comment

I enjoy ALL posts. I have, over the years, become a lurker. Lurking is good as I learn something new, even from the simple questions. I spot trends happening across the states and so much more. Let the Newbies post freely and with respect.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I do think it's helpful to direct the person to the TTB page when a basic question is posted, to help them research it further or get better at navigating TTB.

I'm sure Brad appreciates that as well.
                  After all, if you give a man a fish you can feed him for a day.
                  But if you teach a man to fish, then for the rest of his life you can sell him fishing gear.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

My rant

is deploring those posters who say something like " I have a client THAT..."

How about using "who" to refer to a person and "that" to refer to a situashion?

(grin
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

To Chear$-Rant

I had first decided just to read this thread and stay out of commenting to anyone. I was going to do as several people said to do. We can choose to either read the thead, comment, or just not go into it. That's everyone's choice to do. However, after CHear$ complained about something as little as "THAT" versus "WHO" I had to comment. I can't believe at such a busy tax time as this is that someone would spend their time writing here to rant about "THAT' versus" "WHO" when you couldn't even make sure you spelled "SITUATION" correctly. This is a good time to look at ourselves before ranting about someone else.

I am also one of the people who loves this forum and it has helped me greatly. I probably asked crazy questions when I first started using this forum, but I didn't think they were crazy at the time. I still may ask questions that some people may think are crazy, or that I should know the answer already, or should be researched on my own. That is my choice to do. Like was said......if you don't want to look at the thread, or don't want to help with your knowledge, then don't! But don't criticize anyone that is looking for helpful feedback. I read a lot of threads so I can learn.

By the way, could anyone tell me how to set the spell check? After trying different things, I am still unable to set it correctly. Thanks for everyone's help!!

Comment

I don't think

I don't think Spell Czech is that grate.

I love that we can hover over the thread title and read the post, or at least enough of the post, to see what it's about. It sure saves a lot of time. We are lucky dogs to have that. Post away.
                        Last edited by RitaB; 04-09-2013, 05:29 PM.
                        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

there are no dumb questions

it's the answers you have to look out for.

myself included

Comment

How about using "who" to refer to a person and "that" to refer to a situashion?

OK now help with when to use effect verses affect. I suspect I normally use the terms interchangeably. What will be the (effect / affect) of climate change?

Comment

I think Harlan has a valid point.
                              And when it comes to good grammar, I've always found him to be a man that I can count on.

Comment

Working...
                              X