No announcement yet.

Does It Get To You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the second time in two days, I've woke up to the dog barking at clients at the door. Literally. The ones today, who I scheduled for 2pm so I could get a decent nights rest, didn't mind when I asked if they minded if I was in my pjs. I' loving my clients but I just don't want to look at their taxes anymore. What I was dreaming when the dog started barking? I was composing an email to clients that I want to put on extension, mostly because I think they won't mind and I already know they won't owe.

At least I got 8 hours sleep.

Comment

yes and yes

Yes, I am tired. Actually I think I am exhausted. I just think...I don't know for sure. When I went to the doctor for my yearly checkup she said my B-12 was low and ordered 4 B-12 shots and then I was supposed to start taking a supplement. I got 3 of the shots. Need to get the one left. Not taking supplement yet...I have it but not taking it regularly.

Yes, I am still snowed under. I can't believe how many regular clients haven't been in yet. i guess I need to check on a few of them. One man's house lost his house in fire. One old lady isn't answering the phone. Hope she is okay. One lady called yesterday with a partnership and her personal and her daughter's personal. I still have 3 s corps to finish so I can finish their personal.

Help... And on the 17th my kitchen remodel starts. So I have had to take time to pick out counter tops and backsplash and flooring and cabinets. We just picked out the backsplash and countertops today. Beautiful glass tiles for my back splash. Can't wait till it is done.

Oh, well. It must be like having a baby. After a while a woman forgets the pain and gets pregnant again. Then she remembers the pain. We get so tired during tax season but before the next one starts we forget how tired we got and look forward to seeing our clients.

Linda, EA

Comment

Holding Up Fine

I really care for my clients, and that alone makes the whole effort worthwhile. Each of them is different, and I enjoy working to legitimately reduce their taxes on April 14th just as fervently as on January 15th. And I haven't burned out from that perspective.

What really does bother me? Late action by Congress which affects my preparation. Software problems. Shuffling around the documentation in the office. Getting tax return copies out to the mailbox and off my desk. Waiting on clients to supply me with overdue information.

The "science" of the profession is somthing I don't grow weary. The "business" end is something that does wear me down.

Not to mention I like to travel, play bluegrass, and spend time with my grown kids. Not a chance of any of that until after April 15.

Comment

I'm dead.

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
          ...Shuffling around the documentation in the office...
          ...the only thing shuffling around the office is me...

Comment

You don't say

Originally posted by taxea View Post
            Now if I could only get the weight off my waist things would be perfect.
            I feel your pain, taxea. Wednesday, I had a client COME IN (I guess a phone call is too efficient for MY clients) to ask if I would get him an extension, parked his hind end, and was chatting it up: "It is really good to see you. You look great. You may have gained a pound or two."

I actually heard that sound of a record scratch between statements two and three.

OK, stop talking, Dude...
            If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
              Why, yes it does. Pretty sure early in the season that I was either going to starve or else get absolutely slammed at the end. I'm going to eat. And I'm very, very tired. And I can't get the theme song to "Flipper" out of my head.

they call him flipper faster than lightning

I think it's all about appreciating the little things. Tiny glasses of single malt scotch. Stuff like that
              Speaking of mind tunes, I'm forever running some song in the back of my brain when the office is quiet.. Then I start on a return for clients who are claiming child care with a YMCA program. So after 30 minutes or so of THAT tune, I have to start some music on the radio or computer just so it won't drive me nuts.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Dont get me started with those Brokers

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
                The brokerage companies sending out 2 and 3 corrected statements has been a real headache.
                It seems every financial advisor out there thinks everyone needs a couple of MLP's too.
                Dont get me started about those Brokerage Statements and them Brokers. I have a Series 7 and never did I nor will I ever ignor my investment clients request as my tax clients have been ignored for missing data on their Brokerage Statements by their brokers. And yet, when the Broker is pestered enough and complies with the request, my tax clients see him or her as a hero and I am the pest. Just isnt fair man!

Comment

Skipping out

of the rest of tax season. Leaving for a cruise to China, japan, Korea (hopefully) and Taiwan on Monday.

Comment

The Govt delays and software delays and change of software - have made this my worst tax season that i can remember

Clients did not help the situation as so many heard about delays, why provide me with the information in Feb instead of March and all arrives at once

Extensions here we are in "spades"

Whining!

Sandy

Comment

Bon Voyage

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                      of the rest of tax season. Leaving for a cruise to China, japan, Korea (hopefully) and Taiwan on Monday.
                      Gary, you are FINKING OUT on us!! Must be nice!

Have a great trip! Ron J.

Comment

Thanks

I will be thinking of you all as I lay by the pool on the cruise ship. One of our stops is Korea. Hopefully, everything will remain quiet there.

Comment

Originally posted by ddoshan View Post
                          Maybe I'm just getting to old and tired I don't know. But I can't wait for this tax season to end. Am tired of dealing with the various tax problems and situations. Hate to hear my phone ring ... want to unplug it. Tempted to kick the client out before they can get all the way in the door, etc. And I consider myself a pretty levelheaded calm guy.
                          It is right around this time every year that I question my choice of profession.

And this is a second career. I left the first one in computer support and programming so that if someone needed help in the middle of the night, they needed to call a lawyer and not me.

Comment

I go back and forth on my chosen profession. I feel blessed to have such a good business but on the other hand dealing with such underhanded people is getting to me. People right out trying to cheat, telling me they are, and then want me to prepare their tax return. Trying to help someone and it coming back to bite you. I am frustrated to the max.

Comment

As I said I am tired, but I really enjoy my clients and I care about them. One sweet young lady (in her 40's) was in this evening. But I did her return when she was 20. Her mom would bring in her and her sisters returns with hers. Both her parents have died quite a while ago and she is so sweet. She has a really simple return and is usually here for an hour and a half. We just have to catch up. She is like one of my kids.
                              And my clients keep sending me people they work with or live near or know. I have had a lot of new clients this year. So I guess I am doing something right. It really is worth all we go through to help our clients stay on the right side of the IRS.
                              I really don't have any that want to cheat. Some want to owe less money but they are honest. I think that is one of the advantages I have since I don't advertise or have an store front. I only have clients that are recommended to call me.

Anyway just a few more days. and we can all take a well deserved break.

Gary, have a great time on your cruise. That sounds amazing. We want to go to the southern Caribbean this year sometime. Can't wait.

Linda, EA

Comment

After a weeks of this I think

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                                I go back and forth on my chosen profession. I feel blessed to have such a good business but on the other hand dealing with such underhanded people is getting to me. People right out trying to cheat, telling me they are, and then want me to prepare their tax return. Trying to help someone and it coming back to bite you. I am frustrated to the max.
                                I missed my calling - should have gone into psychiatry or psychology. You get an overdose of insight into human behavior.

Re: cheating clients; I especially remember the one several years ago who tried the...hmmm...not sure exactly what to call it -- the (loosely speaking) "honest approach" maybe. Anyway, guy comes in, sits down, says "I want you to do my taxes. I've got a business, but I'll tell you right now, I'm not going to turn it all in."

Feeling that this gentleman deserved nothing less than an equal response, I said, "Fine. And I'll tell you right now I'm not going to do your taxes." And...he was out the door without another word.

Comment

Working...
                                X