Foreclosure with no 1099-A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreclosure with no 1099-A

Bank foreclosed on primary residence of taxpayer in October of 2012. Taxpayer said house went on auction in December of 2012 but taxpayer received no 1099-A. Loan was a non-recourse loan so there should not be a 1099-C. My question is being taxpayer did not receive a 1099-A, should I still report the non-deductible loss of sale of residence on schedule D in 2012? I am wondering if the process carried over to 2013 and taxpayer might receive the 1099-A in 2013.

I don't think you would have to report anything. If this was their principal residence generally we do not have to report anything from a sale unless they have a taxable gain. Assuming they meet the tests. Where was this? It is more unusual than not for a home loan to be non recourse.

Comment

Is there a statutory right of redemption? That's the only way I can see a 1099-A for 2013 being valid.

Comment

Timing determined by Bank

It is sometimes unfortunate, but there actually is NO debt forgiveness until the lender writes the account off their books.

In 2011 a client received a 1099-A for a foreclosure that occurred early in 2009.

So your client may yet receive a 1099 in 2013 or even 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
          It is sometimes unfortunate, but there actually is NO debt forgiveness until the lender writes the account off their books.

In 2011 a client received a 1099-A for a foreclosure that occurred early in 2009.

So your client may yet receive a 1099 in 2013 or even 2014.
          As the base note here said non-recourse, the debt forgiveness is not relevant in this case.

And if it really was a 1099-A and not a 1099-C, then the lender in your case was in error. The 1099-A is all about the imputed sale, and is at most a warning about potential canceled debt. The only flexibility around the 1099-A is the option to roll it into the 1099-C if it's the same year. Otherwise, they're required to issue the 1099-A as soon as the foreclosure is final, even if they plan on taking several years attempting to collect the balance before canceling it.

In other words, it's potentially valid for a foreclosure in 2009 to result in a 1099-C in 2011, or 2012, or later. But it's not valid for a foreclosure in 2009 to result in a 1099-A in 2011 - unless there were legal proceedings interfering the with foreclosure.

Comment

Working...
          X