No announcement yet.

OT: Ethical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you explain the consequences of his actions? The IRS is going to be looking for the business return and he will, most likely, get a letter from them. Does he normally receive any income documents relative to the business? If he as been a good client for years you might voice your concern is based on keeping him out of trouble with the IRS. Intentionally filing a false return because he can't afford to pay the prep fee for the business return is not a reasonable excuse.

You could tell him that you are willing to accept a promissory note with favorable turns to help him out. I frequently do this with clients who are in a financial bind rather than a verbal "pay me later". At lease with a note I have documentation of the debt owed.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Yes, Taxea, I explained that to him. That he just could not let it go. He came by and got the papers I tried to talk him into letting me do it at no charge. Like I said I made a good bit from the business when it was doing so well. I think it came down to that he would owe. He said he could not think about it now. He is about to lose his home and I suppose that is the only thing on his mind now.

Comment

Well you have done everything you could to insure that Uncle Sam will leave him alone. It is his final decision and he will now pay the price. Let it go. You did the right thing.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
        X