Tax Software - Happy or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Tubbs View Post

Drake -- ended up going buying them. A bit more than ATX, but in the same ballpark. Not really forms-based entry (they have a mode that claims to be forms-based, but when you've been used to ATX's and TaxAct's, it really doesn't compare), but I have been figuring it out and am OK with it. Speed-wise, hands-down MUCH better than ATX. The print screen -- I can see a form and mark whether or not I want it to print -- I haven't had a chance to figure out their "Sets" yet or to see if they could default the print selection to those forms that need to be printed, but I'm generating returns, and that's what really matters.

Bill
    The client set has all of the forms the client needs to see. The Federal set has the forms you would need to mail if you were paper-filing it. The preparer set has a few extras.

I send the client the forms he needs and include the "compare" form so he can compare the current year to prior years--which might alert him that something is missing.

Comment

A few thoughts from some of the above posts. Drake's bank products range from RAL's, to a web portal where the client can pay the balance due in a more user friendly manner and your fee come right out of the payment, also a web based credit card system, no monthly fees, no equipment, but a higher % fee, around 3%. I do not use the bank products becasue of all the paperwork envolved, but when I was at the Warren Drake seminar (Phil's brother) (better know as the Warren Drake show) in Ohio in Dec., there were many high volumne inner city tax service that used and liked the bank products. Also the comment about the SETS tabs, I don't use them, I totally work with the "all forms" tab and ignore the other tabs (STATE SET, CLIENT SET, GOVT SET) and I find that simplier. Many Happy Returns.

Comment

How about Ultra Tax?

Except for 2 posts on this thread - I haven't heard discussion on Ultra Tax.
        It's just been a comparison of Drake, ATX, TRX, Proseries, TaxWorks, TaxSlayer, that seem to have
        dominated the discussion.

Yes - it's probably more expensive than the others. But in order to obtain a quality product you need
        to pay for the features it provides. I've been with Ultra Tax since they bought out Microvision and have
        been extremely satisfied. Their tech support is excellent and whoever you talk to will walk you through
        the problem for as long as it takes - that's primarily why I stay with UT -and you're not talking to tech
        support in a foreign country - it's right here in Dexter, Michigan.
        The ease of going in and out of screens, converting from input screens to forms screens, its automatic
        recalculation of input adjustments, etc.
        The proforma program was sent out just prior to Thanksgiving. The program is up and running, even though
        you can't e-file yet.

So if you want only to save dollars - go ahead and jump to the cheaper priced programs.
        As I always believed - the smaller cheaper priced companies are eventually going to get bought out by the
        big giants - so the savings isn't for long.
        Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Ut

I could not agree with you more Uncle Sam. The integration with all the other CS programs makes the cost of UT go down with the efficiencies you get from the integration. If you are charging what you are worth then top of the line software is the only way to go.
          I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

I used Ultra Tax for several years, also having come over from Microvision, and I agree UT was a fantastic program. I changed to ATX when my UT price jumped to about $6K, but it happened that I was simplifying at that time. If I were still working at the volume and complexity of returns I was then, I would probably have stayed with UT.

Right now I'm bailing out of ATX and switching to Drake.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

TaxAct

I started using TaxAct back in 1994 when they were called Parson's Personal Tax Edge. In 97 & 98 I had to use Pro Series. Parson's was no longer available. Then in 1999 the makers of Parson's came out w/ TaxAct. I was sure glad to see it again....it was a few hundred dollars less than Pro Series and more user friendly. TaxAct does everything I need it to do. I prepare 130-140 returns out of my home as a side job. I work full time as a controller for a small oil company. I have been using TaxAct's business returns to prepare three 1065s and one 1120s for my day job since 2007. They work just like the 1040 program and are priced right. For a small 1040 practice, you can't beat TaxAct. A week or so ago they had a 1040 special; $479 for all states and unlimited e-filing. I had pre-paid $559. I called them and they refunded $80 to my credit card .

Comment

Tax Software

I just made the switch from TRX Pro to Drake. There is no way TRX is going to have all the bugs out of their software by tomorrow. I, unfortunately, purchased the software in May and am hoping they will refund my money. The catch is TRX states their software is up and running and as long as "up and running" they are not required to refund our money. What they "state" and what is actual is a big difference. What a nightmare - tax season upon us and having to learn a new tax program. Oh well, wishing everyone a good tax season!!

Comment

Working...
                X