No announcement yet.

Tax Software - Happy or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Slayer Pro is definitely best value for me. When I started my own business 6 years ago it was recommended and after trying a sample decided to give it a try as it was most affordable and just getting started I didn't have a lot of extra cash to invest. I do about 200 returns, one person opperation. Mostly all 1040's but have done a few small businesses over the years. Having a military base of customers I do many different states and have had no issues other than maybe a couple that were resolved quickly. Customer support is awesome. They also now provide Tax Book free to me and provided all my CEU's for 2012 free. So for me there was never any reason to look elsewhere. I'm a very satisfied customer and when I look at prices of other software they are all higher. In my opinion you can't beat Tax Slayer. Also this season the IRS is using their software for testing so some of the returns filed thru Tax Slayer have already gone to IRS and will be approved prior to 30th.

Comment

I am happy with ATX, I have had some tech support issues over the years, but they have always eventually been resolved. I am also a small preparer and find there smaller 1040 package and I add on business packages to that. The number of efile for free that you can do with that package is enough for me, so that's a perfect fit for me. I've tried TRX and went back to ATX, is MUCH better software I think. I was told is the same, but is NOT! I have used ATX for several years now. Drake is too expensive for me, I don't have a big enough business to justify that expense, although that would be my choice over ATX if it fits for you. Good Luck!!

Comment

TaxACT

Hi. I am new to this forum, but I have been reading the post for a few years now. There is always a lot of helpful information on here.

I have been using TaxACT for 5 years now. I don't have a lot of clients so this works great for me.
        Wtorres

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
          One thing I did not like about Drake this year is that they did not include TTB. I had to pay for it separately through them.
          Which is okay because there was a discount but I would have bought the Web Library Plus from TTB site. All tapped out on research materials for the year. Drake might have sent an email about it but do not remember it.
          I did not see anything about it. It's just sort of one of these things that it seems if you don't know about until later, you might not fuss.
          Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

All this input is amazing. I personally appreciate how all posters to this thread are being very professional regarding their opinions and not bashing other software. Thanks for the thoughts and positive energy.

Thx,
            Beck

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
              Other money issues with Drake is they are really pushing thier Grunt Works (for an added fee) which is a scanning service that automatically populates your data entry screens from you sending them your scanned documents. It has the highest accuracy rate in the industry and is NOT offshore but in the USA. Also Secure File Pro, Drake is pushing which is a web portal that a client can visit to check any messages from you, print copies of thier tax returns or thier organizer, a neat idea but is costs hundreds of dollars. I suppose the Drake users who don't need these extras, benefit as long as Drake continues to not raise thier price. If these extra fee services do well, hopefully Drake wiill continue to hold the line on price increase (unlike thier competitors).
              A large part of Drake's income used to come from the RAL business, so they are trying to replace that lost income with other products such as Grunt Works and Secure File Pro. They may even eventually come up with something I might want to add.

Comment

Trx

I have TRX Pro. It is in very bad shape and almost not usable. I have been using TRX for about three years and it has worked well for me.

I am going to try to use it since I have already paid for it. They have been doing updates every few days. Maybe in a few weeks it will be in reasonable shape.

Comment

Atx

I've been using ATX since 2002 and have the older software from doing unfiled returns in my earlier years. A lot of people have been reporting issues this year due to the total revamp of the program, but I haven't had any. I like the forms based entry, and the inclusion of every form known to man. The MAX package includes unlimited free efiling too. I test drove Drake, but it had a computational problem in the CA module, and it wasn't as flexible as ATX - I can add 'business' forms to an individual return, which is necessary if you are filing a CA SSMC or a 5471 for an individual. If you are doing straightforward returns, Drake isn't a bad product.

I've used Lacerte when working for another CPA, have walked people through cancellation of debt on Proseries (advice-delete worksheets and put the numbers HERE), so I am aware of limitations (and benefits) of other software and haven't found a reason to switch. The price is good too.

Comment

I have TRX Pro as well, and even though I loved the TaxWorks program, it's a thing of the past. I finally jumped ship a few days ago by purchasing another software, because there was too much at risk to be waiting around for TaxExact to be functional. TRX has had several months to get this functioning and here we are well into tax season, and it's still not right. They have made vast improvements in the last few updates, so I'll give them that, but there are still major problems with it, and I couldn't afford to wait any longer. While I waited for updates from TRX, I downloaded several demos of other software, and there are good ones out there for a wide range of prices. I paid $1395 for Drake a few days ago and couldn't be happier. It was a small price to pay knowing I would lose more than that in preparer fees due to not being ready to do returns. TRX says they'll be functional by Jan 30th when the IRS starts accepting returns, but because I not only couldn't totally count on that, I also can't meet with everyone who wants to file right away all on the same day. I'm the only preparer in my office and there aren't that many hours in a day, so the plan is to have everyone's return ready to efile on Jan 30th, not prepare them all on that day. Besides that, there are some people who have already gotten their refunds from my state, and it wasn't till yesterday that TRX started having state programs at all.

Comment

For joanmcq: You mean you are not having any problems with ATX for 2012. Wow, when you look at the official ATX board EVERYONE is having problems. How did you pull this off. Are you using Windows XP, Windows 7 or Windows 8. If you've read some of the recent posts on that board, it appears that ATX has a real serious problem. I'm amazed that you had no problems.

Comment

ATXer since '04. It's been clunky

Originally posted by Edward View Post
                        For joanmcq: You mean you are not having any problems with ATX for 2012. Wow, when you look at the official ATX board EVERYONE is having problems. How did you pull this off. Are you using Windows XP, Windows 7 or Windows 8. If you've read some of the recent posts on that board, it appears that ATX has a real serious problem. I'm amazed that you had no problems.
                        but nothing bad so far except slow rollovers and a few crazy things like the update messages ("UPDATE SUCCESSFUL" followed by "94% of 100% loaded" and "106 of 94 forms loaded" and "94 of 106 forms processed"). Running one XP and one Win 7. But, have only done W-2 and interest income so far, so I'm crossing my fingers and whistling past the graveyard thinking about the Cs, SEs, and especially the 4562 stuff coming later.

These guys talking about Drake's "second-ring" support just kills me -- you can hang on with ATX 'til the twelfth of never. We called Wednesday about a minor (good thing) glitch and threw in the towel after half an hour (I know, I know -- you can't give up before 1 1/2 hours, but it wasn't that serious).
                        Last edited by Black Bart; 01-26-2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

It's getting better.

Originally posted by jimenright View Post
                          I have TRX Pro. It is in very bad shape and almost not usable. I have been using TRX for about three years and it has worked well for me.

I am going to try to use it since I have already paid for it. They have been doing updates every few days. Maybe in a few weeks it will be in reasonable shape.
                          You and I are using the same program Jim. I realized last week that we've been given an entirely different program than the one we purchased previously by Red Gear. Seems to me like bait and switch tactics, but I renewed early and choose not to start all over, though somehow, that's exactly what we are doing. Once the updates are installed, it gets better.

I have done my tax return and my first client is scheduled for Friday. I'll see how this works out. The States are still not available for download, so I hope all will be in place by January 30.

I am almost sure I will be choosing a new product after this year. I am evaluating TAXACT now and it seems to be one I can live with. It's a bit more expensive than TRX Pro, but my peace of mind, and that of my clientele, is more important than cost now. I don't need a high end program like DRAKE or TAXSLAYER (which I used for 10 years), so I'll not evaluate these.

Yes, we will probably suffer some this season. We have to find a way to make the program work for us though. Good luck.

Peachie

Comment

Jumped ship last week, after 7 years with ATX

Had to... in my mind, no choice. I had clients coming Friday (ended up with a few cancellations due to weather, but still got 5 done), and it was taking 4 minutes to open a return in ATX [there were only 2 returns in ATX] and no idea when/if the speed would be fixed. Opening the same, basic return in ATX2011 took 17 seconds. I had been toying with the idea of migrating to another software because of the sluggishness of ATX (opening a return as well as pulling up the print screen), but they had been promising speed improvements. Had those speed improvements happened, I would have been very happy to stay with ATX.

As far as where I went to... the other CCH product (ProSeries?) was twice as expensive, and I could not download the current-year software (they HAVE to ship it from California -- to the midwest meant either waiting a week (and paying something for freight) or paying $100 to get it shipped overnight -- and having looked into them Wednesday evening meant there was no way to get it installed and figured out by Fri 8:30am). They did have a web version of their program, but I much prefer installing locally.

TaxAct -- I had been a customer prior to ATX. I think I switched from them because of pricing... my customer base was increasing and the e-filing fees with TaxAct were going to be more than ATX's unlimited (plus I had picked up a few business returns too). The deal-breaker there was not being able to convert any ATX returns into TaxAct. Last year I did over 300 returns, including some with a looooong asset list (Form 4562). I would have like the forms-based entry thought....

Drake -- ended up going buying them. A bit more than ATX, but in the same ballpark. Not really forms-based entry (they have a mode that claims to be forms-based, but when you've been used to ATX's and TaxAct's, it really doesn't compare), but I have been figuring it out and am OK with it. Speed-wise, hands-down MUCH better than ATX. The print screen -- I can see a form and mark whether or not I want it to print -- I haven't had a chance to figure out their "Sets" yet or to see if they could default the print selection to those forms that need to be printed, but I'm generating returns, and that's what really matters.

Bill

Comment

I like your thought process. I'm planning to switch from ATX to Drake this week as well. I realize it's bit risky and will cause me to spend more time comparing year-to-year results. But right now the choice seems to be between doing that versus monitoring ATX for glitches. At least the former task is building on the future with a known product offering solid customer support.

ATX just isn't delivering, and after seeing all the complaining on the forums, I've lost confidence in their ability to deliver a viable product. Maybe they will magically solve all their remaining major problems with the next update, but I doubt it. There are just too many "work-arounds" being proudly discussed among the ATX cheerleaders right now. We don't need "work-arounds" - we need a stable product which does the job we were promised it would do.
                              Last edited by JohnH; 01-27-2013, 02:26 PM.
                              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I just efiled my first return with ATX. So we'll see how it goes. Aside from inadvertently locking myself out of the program last night, things haven't been too bad. It did take a while to figure out the 'print packets' feature, but once I did, it's an improvement over previous year's constant unchecking of boxes. I will need some kind of work around if they don't fix the mailing slips, but I won't have any returns that can't be efiled for another few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X