Tax Software - Happy or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peachie View Post

Could you highlight some of the issues you are having with the software? Thanks.

Peachie

Hi Peachie (btw....I love that username),

TRX Software has had so many issues and an embarrassing lack of communication. I am providing a link to a very lively discussion board that you can check out in your spare time to fully understand the problems:

Personally, I decided for my small practice to go with TaxAct (since I'm used to form input). Burton has been a big help to me with providing information regarding TaxAct. I'm a little leary of changing software so close to seeing my clients, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Thx,
    Beck

Comment

I have been a Taxact user for about 8 years now. I have been very happy with it. So far it meets all my needs.

Comment

I used TaxAct for 2004, my first year in the business. That year I also purchased 5 previous seasons of Taxact because a new client hadn't filed in many years. Wow - I loved it for what it was.

Online it was deemed a piece of junk that no real professional would use so nobody admitted to using it. (oddly, NOBODY talks about the software I use now!!!)

In the past year it's been amazing to see all the professionals come out of the woodwork proclaiming their usage (and happiness) with Taxact. There was always 1 person that admitted to using but now it must be a dozen on these forums. Love it.

I've moved on from TaxAct but it's nice to know they are still holding up in this market.

Comment

TaxAct

I also have been using TaxAct for a few years. I purchased it because I do have a very small tax business and really couldn't afford the high prices software. I find it very, very good for my needs. I didn't even purchase their support package which is very cheap. If I have any questions I do it via email and they respond very quickly. I would recommend it to anyone.

Comment

This is our third season with Drake and we have been very happy with it. We were with Tax Vision for a few years before and were unhappy with customer support and the fact that Ohio was never ready to file unitl February or later. With Drake the states are ready to go by the middle of January.

Comment

So glad I switched to Drake

I finally took the plunge yesterday to buy Drake software because I was one of those poor souls who bought into TaxWorks through TRX and got a big surprise in the mail in mid to late December. The surprise was a non-functional software, and most of us hung on for awhile hoping they would fulfill their promise to get it up and running. Well, as of January 22nd, it was still non-functional and by that time I'd had enough, so I invested a bunch more money by buying into Drake yesterday, and by noon today I had my first tax return done. So at least now I'm moving forward, even though the first few clients will be paying my credit card bill for the software I wasn't supposed to have to purchase this year. But I am so glad I did. What relief! Drake is not only quite easy to navigate, when you call tech support, a human being answers and actually is able to help solve my issue! I don't have to put my phone on speaker mode and listen to irritating "easy listening" music while waiting 30-40 minutes for somebody to help me. In addition, I can convert through Drake all my TaxWorks clients, and I can download previous year programs for when I get one of those "I haven't done my taxes in years and my wages are being garnished, so I need to get caught up," calls.

Now I'm looking forward to tax season, not dreading it and hoping nobody calls . . .

Comment

Hi Beck

Originally posted by beck View Post

TRX Software has had so many issues and an embarrassing lack of communication. I am providing a link to a very lively discussion board that you can check out in your spare time to fully understand the problems:

Personally, I decided for my small practice to go with TaxAct (since I'm used to form input). Burton has been a big help to me with providing information regarding TaxAct. I'm a little leary of changing software so close to seeing my clients, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Thx,
                Beck
                Don't go away. I will read the link you provided and come back tomorrow with my comment. I am not sure we are using the same prooduct. My product is TRX Pro 1040. We may be using different programs. So, give me a while. Thanks for responding.

Comment

Thanks, I switched to Drake this year.

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
                  I started with Drake 14 years ago and have been very satisfied with it. As mentioned, 99% of the support staff is very helpful. As usual, there will always be a clunker once in a while, but I just make it short and then call back and get a real support person.

And now, as Paul Harvey used to say, here is the "other side of the story":

I will point out to all those who are bragging about not being a price increase in X number of years, that while technically correct, is not the whole story. For a long time RIA was provided, free of charge, as a tax research tool. It went away. Last year, The Tax Book was provided for research, free of charge. This year it costs, I believe, $89 to use The Tax Book.

For years, there were about 4 CPE courses that were provided, free of charge to its clients. This year it costs $40 per course to take these same courses. So while the base price has stayed the same, all the extras have been pared away and if you use any of them, the price has increased.

To be clear, I use Drake and plan to continue to do so as I feel it is a great product. I just feel everyone should know the complete situation.

LT
                  Thanks for the explanation, I wondered why some of the "extras" were not showing up on my end after I switched to Drake in November. I had read a few posts from Drake users from prior years loving all the little extras (Especially the free CPE courses). But after calling support when I was setting up the software and being amazed at them answering on the second ring, I was already impressed. I love how the whole program flows, it works for me.

Now, I know I seen it somewhere....before the night is over I will find out... how to flag certain forms for "all clients". (Such as the 7216, I want that warning at the end, if this form was not filled out.) But then this is not the programs problem, but the user.

So far so good!

Comment

No problems with TaxslayerPro

I have been using TaxslayerPro for 11 years now. No problems this year so far. Everything is up and running just fine. I do around 150 returns a year plus about 6 or 8 s corps. They have been able to handle anything I have needed.

I realize for some larger practices and s corps or corps that are bigger companies you may feel you need a more comprehensive program. But you can always try them out and see. Price is good and support is great.

If I ever changed it would probably be to Drake. I liked their program but am too satisfied with TaxslayerPro to pay more money.

Linda, EA

Comment

Other money issues with Drake is they are really pushing thier Grunt Works (for an added fee) which is a scanning service that automatically populates your data entry screens from you sending them your scanned documents. It has the highest accuracy rate in the industry and is NOT offshore but in the USA. Also Secure File Pro, Drake is pushing which is a web portal that a client can visit to check any messages from you, print copies of thier tax returns or thier organizer, a neat idea but is costs hundreds of dollars. I suppose the Drake users who don't need these extras, benefit as long as Drake continues to not raise thier price. If these extra fee services do well, hopefully Drake wiill continue to hold the line on price increase (unlike thier competitors).

Comment

Another free extra with Drake is their Client Write Up Software. While I use Quickbooks, I love using Drake CWU simply for printing blank forms, all the payroll forms, 1099's etc. are on it, and of course, blank tax forms can be printed from Drake's tax software. I just thought I would throw this in as it allowed me to discontinue my use of STF Superforms whcih Bloomberg BNA just bought out and raised the price. Goodby Superforms, Hello Drake.

Comment

In all fairness I must add that STF Superforms is a very good top of the line forms package for fill and print, and I am going to miss it.

Comment

Hi Beck,

Originally posted by beck View Post

Thx,
                            Beck
                            I'm back. Other than maybe not having your same program, I just finished my tax return. I was alarmed at first, as you were, but I figured out most of the things that comes with a new platform. Yes, mine is different from last year as well. I could not reach customer service, so I decided to tackle it myself to try to figure it out. I think I succeeded. Will you e-mail me at peachie1000@hotmail.com so I can discuss? I know you went with another pregram, in the meantime. One other thing, I did two updates last night (11 and 12) and also re PROFORMED my return and info that seemed missing initially, was there after the updates. Hope to "chat" soon.

Peachie

Comment

Drake is awesome!

This is my 3rd Season as an independent on Drake. Can't think of any complaints. Their tech support is simply amazing after 20+ years of HRB's dreadful support, I feel as though I have arrived in heaven. Block charged us efile fees for many years, of course with Drake, efile is included in the package.
                              Todd Fogelberg, EA

Comment

One thing I did not like about Drake this year is that they did not include TTB. I had to pay for it separately through them.
                                Which is okay because there was a discount but I would have bought the Web Library Plus from TTB site. All tapped out on research materials for the year. Drake might have sent an email about it but do not remember it.

Comment

Working...
                                X