No announcement yet.

Tax Software - Happy or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATX user-not satisifed. I don't like the direction CCH is taking this software. I tried Drake one year but couldn't get used to the input method. I made a huge mistake on a return due to that. I don't know where to go next year? I do numerous individual/business returns in many states so I need a good forms based software that is priced as a complete package.

Comment

Im using Proseries Pro. I like it well enough to not change- I HATE change.

Comment

Drake user for 13 years. Taxwise for 6 years prior. Would not change from Drake if you paid me. Awesome Cust Svc and great software.

Comment

I just spoke with Drake again today. Based on the ongoing conversations on the ATX Forum, I'm losing confidence in CCH's ability to get things right. I already have the Drake conversion info and will probably pull the trigger in the next 24 -36 hours.

Sure am glad I followed past practice and didn't bite on the early sign-up discount. The small amount of savings isn't worth being locked into a vendor before their software has a chance to prove itself.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I use Lacerte

and I am less happy every year.

Comment

I really appreciate all your input and thought processes for what software is working for you guys. It also seems that many other people are interested in this thread based on the number of views.

It seems like there are many Drake lovers out there (possibly larger client bases to offset the cost?).

Keep your input coming!

Thanks,
              Beck

Comment

Tax software

Two years with Drake and I love it. Switched over from TaxWorks and I wish I had switched years ago!

Comment

John H, I would not recommend switching cold turkey at the beginning of tax season. There is a learning curve and it WILL take you longer to do each return with the new software than the old until you have a full year behind you. I strongly recommend useing your old software until April 15th. Then switch. The new Vendor will give you thier 2012 package free at that point and you can do your extensions on the new package. Or just practice on your large returns. The conversion programs do not automate the full converson, thier helpful but some critical parts of the conversion has to be done manually, such as loss carryforwards, etc. Also depreciation has to be checked and fined tuned, it's not converted perfect. Hope it all works out for you.

Comment

Intuit Tax Online

My first job in a CPA office I used Drake. It is inexpensive, all inclusive for one-price, but has some shortfalls. I didn't realize it had shortfalls until I changed jobs.

My second job in a CPA office I used Lacerte. Talk about a cadillac program. It will virtually prepare the tax return for you. I was pretty much on my own to learn the software, and it was fairly easy. Once I knew a few 'tricks', how to access input screens from the forms page and how to clear diagnostics I found data entry a breeze.

I went out on my own with a very small client base and realized tax preparation software was going to kill me financially. I spoke to the sales rep quite frankly about it (I was licensing Lacerte because I knew it was top notch) and to my surprise he told me there was another Intuit product that might suit me.

Intuit Tax Online is a cloud based software which has data entry screens similar to Lacerte. In fact, Lacerte technicians developed the cloud based program. Pay-per-return bundles can be purchased in various quantities of returns. I purchased 50 1040's for $499, federal and all states. I purchased 10 business returns for $249.00. ITO allowed me to make a profit my first year on my own.

ITO doesn't have all the bells and whistles Lacerte has, but is much less expensive and does just as fine a job on the tax return. It is new in development, and I spoke for over an hour at a trade show with the program manager. He was thrilled to have feedback from a user who understood Lacerte and what they were trying to accomplish with ITO.

I definitely recommend ITO. Also, you can prep your return with ITO for free... you do not pay until you file and/or print the return. So if you have ever used Lacerte and liked it, try ITO... you may find you can save bundles of money.

Comment

What problems are you having with your TRX software?

[QUOTE=beck;146525]Hello Everyone!

Just wondering your happiness rating with your current software. Please share what you are using and if it is functioning for you.

Personally I'm involved in the TRX Software conundrum. It is not functioning and flowing the way you would think it should. Looking into jumping ship. This forum is a wealth of experience and your opinions are valued.

Thanks,
                      Beck

Could you highlight some of the issues you are having with the software? Thanks.

Peachie

Comment

ProSYstem fx

I love ProSystem fx. I buy it pay-per-return to keep the cost down a bit. But, it's worth every penny. Great software, great support, products that work together. I tried them all. Ultra Tax is good too, but I still prefer Pro fx.

Comment

Bought Drake today

It may not be advisable to switch tax software just when tax season is starting, but I had no choice. TRX's new program is not only totally different from TaxWorks (which is the program I got through them the last 3 years), it's not functional at this point. So no choice but to learn a new program, so I bought Drake today and couldn't be happier. What a relief!! I demoed several programs and read a lot of forum posts (here and on 3 other tax forums) while waiting for updates and improvements to the program TRX sent me, and finally settled on Drake for a number of reasons. Tomorrow I will do conversions, which they say they can do from TaxWorks. This is exciting!! I feel like I'm finally moving forward, and with no time to spare. Now I don't have to worry about getting calls from clients wanting to come in. In fact, now I can welcome them because I have something to offer them!

Comment

Super happy with Drake.

Lot's of good comments on this thread and am in agreement with most of them.....I've used Drake the past 2 years and was with TaxAct for the previous 13......TaxAct was simple, easy to use and incredibly cheap (probably why I stuck with them for so long). But as my practice grew in complexity, the 2nd Story Software company was unable to handle ALL of my S-Corps and C-corps with their respected states as I prepared returns in many states. They also didn't have software for non-profits (990's) or estates (1041). Because of this, I was using ATX's PPR system as well as some other PPR services to piece together what I need for my entire practice. THAT got expensive. Drake does them all for me now.

I switched to Drake and you couldn't pay me to even try another company.....if I was to consider switching I would look at Lacerte or Proseries.

One of the intangible costs outside of the money spent to purchase Drake is their customer service (virtually none with 2nd Story Software while they focused on their online business). Every (and I mean every) time I've called Drake in the last 2 years, I've had a live person pick up after 2 or 3 rings and believe it or not, the call is received here in the United States. Customer service is something I can't live without these days.....one software glitch (I have to research myself) can cost me the amount of 5 years the cost of another software program.

I do like Drake's extensive error checks as well.

Comment

I want to comment of the happy Lacerte user who posted. I used Lacerte for 17 years. I find Drake much easier to find "where to input" certain items. The Lacerte "jump to input" feature, which is supposed to help make up for thier confusing input screen locations does not work for every field. For our state, PA, Drake is far superior in the PA and especially local tax returns. I did appreciate Lacerte's emphais on automatically processing certain functions (which Drake does not do as much, so you have to work a little harder in Drake). ex: EIC workhseets, Lacerte will answer all the yes/no questions for you with the right answer that allows the EIC. Drake makes you answer each question yourself. Of course, Lacerte propmpts you with a diagnostice to make sure you check over the questions. another ex: A recent return I did on Drake I spent time researching why Drake did not allow the EIC when the prior year, Lacerte did. The income was very close to being the same each year. It turned out, after checking THE TAX BOOK that when you turn 65, you no longer get the EIC unless you have a dependent. The taxpayer had just turned 65. Lacerte would have given me a diagnostic telling me the EIC was not allowed becasue of age. In general, Lacerte's diagnostics are supererior to Drakes. Overall, once I got used to Drake, I found that it gets the job done a a fraction of the cost.

Comment

I started with Drake 14 years ago and have been very satisfied with it. As mentioned, 99% of the support staff is very helpful. As usual, there will always be a clunker once in a while, but I just make it short and then call back and get a real support person.

And now, as Paul Harvey used to say, here is the "other side of the story":

I will point out to all those who are bragging about not being a price increase in X number of years, that while technically correct, is not the whole story. For a long time RIA was provided, free of charge, as a tax research tool. It went away. Last year, The Tax Book was provided for research, free of charge. This year it costs, I believe, $89 to use The Tax Book.

For years, there were about 4 CPE courses that were provided, free of charge to its clients. This year it costs $40 per course to take these same courses. So while the base price has stayed the same, all the extras have been pared away and if you use any of them, the price has increased.

To be clear, I use Drake and plan to continue to do so as I feel it is a great product. I just feel everyone should know the complete situation.

LT
                                Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Working...
                                X