Dissing the I.R.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To black Bart

Yes Bart it's me from Arizona. I just get way too busy during tax season to get on here, and in the off season, I'm either traveling to Germany to visits wifes family, or other things . I just found snag and shot him a little messagE also. Nice to connect with you guys again.
    Ps. I'm trying to write this on my wife,s iPad. And it's not working too good. Lol.

M
    Last edited by Ken; 12-08-2012, 06:13 PM. Reason: Add more
    ken

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
      I told myself that if Obama got reelected I was going to sell my business and move on to other things. I sold it Wednesday. I just can't enjoy preparing taxes any longer knowing that Congress will, most likely, continue on the same "get nothing done" path for the next four years.

I am maintaining my EA and PTIN and will only be doing tax resolution from here on in.

Enjoy the upcoming season...if you can under the current circumstances....
      Yes, it's tempting to do what you describe. And I could do it right now, just like you. But.... too many clients depend on me. So I think I'll continue to march two more years at least. This coming tax season will be my 40th, and the next, my 40th in business for myself. After that? well, I just don't know right now. TIme will tell. And we'll grow older. And liable to forget..... uh. forget what I was going to say next.
      (sigh
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Retirement from tax work

I "retired" back in 1985, but needed some income to tide me over until I could dip into my rollover IRA, so I began doing gas revenue audits and income tax work.
        I later "retired" from doing the audits to avoid constant travel, now I'm about ready to quit doing income tax work to avoid the constant shifting of IRS responsibilities to the tax preparers.

This time when I "retire," I'll probably really retire and try to live on dividends, interest, social security and RMDs from my IRA.

Comment

Well, although

Originally posted by taxea

I told myself that if Obama got reelected I was going to sell my business and move on to other things. I sold it Wednesday. I just can't enjoy preparing taxes any longer knowing that Congress will, most likely, continue on the same "get nothing done" path for the next four years.

I am maintaining my EA and PTIN and will only be doing tax resolution from here on in...
          it seems a pretty drastic action, but -- unlike, say Alec Baldwin, who once vowed he'd move to the Third World if Bush was re-elected and is still in Hollywood the last I heard -- nobody can say you don't put your money where your mouth is or have the courage of your convictions.

Meanwhile; guess I'll stick around, continue uselessly complaining, and trudge on down the IRS trail -- although the impetus is less from a sense of civic duty than economic need. And while I keep wondering "Who would want to buy into this crazy business?", you're living proof that somebody would.

Anyway, best wishes and good luck to you in your new venture.
          Last edited by Black Bart; 12-09-2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

The best reason

for continuing to march in our business is for the sake of our dear clients. They NEED us. They're comfortable with us, like an old shoe. We understand them, laugh with them, sometimes even cry with them (figure of speech), console them, commiserate with them.
            And the money ain't bad for the time needed. Besides, most of our work is done in wintertime when it's cold outside.

I'm looking forward to my upcoming 40th tax season.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

you guys

are really DEPRESSING me! Harlan say it aint so! Taxea I was hoping you'd hold out till I could buy your practice?
              and move to paradise and retire on-the job?!?!?
              I'm ONLY in my 25th year but I see the same things..... Our tax seminars are full of old farts and I can only guess that
              in the future, taxes will be prepared BY THE IRS and/or whiz kids on the internet??
              I think it was Bob Dylan who sang - "The times they are a changin' ".......

Comment

Well, darn Luke, if you had spoken up sooner I would have offered the business to you. For the rest who posted thanks for the words of support. I do realize that my clients need a good preparer and that was my biggest worry but I did find an EA that is on the same page as I when it comes to how and how much we do for the clients. I used to love tax prep and had only good stress...which was really no stress at all but, the way things have been the past few years and what they will be for the next few just make me ill. I feel like all I can be besides the government's enforcer is the bearer of bad news...I just can't believe what they are considering with the estate taxes and basis of assets....and that is only one of the insane considerations...can't do it anymore...so I put my clients in good hands and if things change in later years I can always build up a new clientel. For now I will do compliance work and will be taking the real estate license test because in this paradise but stupidly run state one has to have a real estate license to manage property; which is where I am headed for now.
                Best to all and I will still be here to kick around should you choose.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                X