No announcement yet.

Windows 8 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I have been with Windows 8 for a few days now.

Yes there is a learning curve, but I am getting used to it. I am so happy to have a computer that is working OK, for that I am very happy. I had planned on getting one with Windows 7, but missed that when I ordered. My main problem is learning how to get from one place to another, but I am getting that figured out. But there is a place you can go to that is the old Desk Top

I use Drake, and it is working fine. Quick Books, and Office are also fine. Actually all the programs are working OK. My Scanner, one new printer, and my Dymo are all working fine.

The only problem I have not resolved yet is my old printer, and they said they would have a 8 driver out before the end of the year, I do have a newer, very slow printer, and it is working. The one that needs a driver I purchased in 2005 for $211. It has been my little work horse, and prints very fast. So I guess I can not complain if the driver is now available yet.

So far I am very happy

Jan
    Last edited by PIGLEE; 11-19-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Duly noted

Originally posted by manyhappyreturns View Post
      Why is it that every new and "improved" computer operating system is worse than the last one? And why can't we all hang onto our old operating systems that work for us?
      Agreed. I've still got a bunch of (historical) data files that live in a MS/DOS software program (PFS First Choice). The only way I can access those files is to fire up the ole grey mare (Windows 98) computer that has a MS/DOS option. The program is not fancy, but doggone it works!

You would think with all the fancy software up to and including Win 8 that someone could figure out how to offer an option for MS/DOS software to operate.

Alas....

FE

Comment

Have you tried opening a command prompt and running the program from there? My Win 7 still has that option.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

DOS stuff

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
          Have you tried opening a command prompt and running the program from there? My Win 7 still has that option.
          While the command prompt "looks like" entrance into DOS, software will not operate. May have something to do with accuracy of PATH statement(s), and it probably would be unwise for me to mess with those.

( To kinda answer your question: I put the entire software/data files onto a flash drive, went to proper subdirectory there, entered starting command, and ....nada... )

I think there is a difference between the "COMMAND" environment versus the old "MS/DOS prompt" selection.

FE

Comment

Working...
          X