Windows 8 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 8 ??

I just got a new computer, and of course it came with Windows 8. Has anyone else made the switch?

I am having problems with my printer and scanner, they tell me a windows 8 driver upgrade should be ready by the end of December. I am now trying to install QuickBooks Pro 2011. Not sure if it will work or not.

What experience is anyone else having?

My Tax Program, and my Intellect are working fine. Just started this changeover project. I just want to find out what experiences other people are having

Jan

I'm soooo happy with Windows XP

Plus ca change, the more it all get fouled up.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

I REALLY miss Windows XP. It sure was great for my needs.

Comment

Windows 8

Originally posted by PIGLEE View Post
        I just got a new computer, and of course it came with Windows 8. Has anyone else made the switch?

I am having problems with my printer and scanner, they tell me a windows 8 driver upgrade should be ready by the end of December. I am now trying to install QuickBooks Pro 2011. Not sure if it will work or not.

What experience is anyone else having?

My Tax Program, and my Intellect are working fine. Just started this changeover project. I just want to find out what experiences other people are having

Jan
        Check with manufacturer of computer to see if you can downgrade to windows 7,,,Windows 8 is not ready.
        Confucius say:
        He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Windows 8

I just bought six new computers and had windows 7 installed on all of them.I think all the bugs are out of it.The are Dells.

Comment

It could take a while

You are probably at the mercy of the folks who make drivers for the various printers/scanners/etc.

I would assume Win 8 is fully Plug and Play compatible and (with all updates in place) that system should....eventually....recognize your devices.

Helpful hint: Never be too aggressive/anxious whenever a new system arrives. Somewhere I have the installation/upgrade disks for Vista, which I never (thankfully!!) installed. And Win XP was a fine system.

You might need to check with the manufacturers of some of the software you mentioned. Your DEFINITELY need to reinstall from the original program disks, and there may be a possibility that you would need a different installation disk for any Win 8 software.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but for this tax season I definitely plan to sit on the sidelines for anything related to Win 8.

FE

Comment

You may want to take your computer to GeekSquad or a local computer repair company to get Windows 7 installed. I would suggest doing it yourself but looks like they have locked it down with a secure boot feature.

Windows 8 is a disaster and with Black Friday coming many more people are going to be finding this out. Cheap computers with terrible OS.
              Older versions of Quickbooks will have some problems working on Windows 8. It will work but bugs are going to pop up.

Here are some articles you may want to read:
              Avoid the crowd and reap the best deals this Black Friday and Cyber Monday with ZDNet's buying guide, updated daily.

I highly suggest you switch over to Windows 7 before the tax season starts.

Comment

I'm glad that your intellect is working fine (g)
                EAnOK

Comment

I have windows XP but had planned on getting a new computer with the windows 7 installed. I would like to move the 2011 returns into the new computer. What process is required to do this? Will appreciate any help.

Comment

Simplest approach

Originally posted by Edward View Post
                    I have windows XP but had planned on getting a new computer with the windows 7 installed. I would like to move the 2011 returns into the new computer. What process is required to do this? Will appreciate any help.
                    It would help to know what tax software you have. . .

The simplest answer is that you will need to reinstall (from the installation disks or download) the actual software on your new computer. Merely "copying" the software/operating files from an XP computer to a Win 7 computer will likely fail.

The second part of your task will be to locate your data (client) files, copy them to a suitable device, and then transfer them to the correct location for data with your newly installed Win 7 tax software. (HINT: Start a new "dummy" return for John Doe on your Win 7 computer, save the data file, and see "where" it goes. That is the same place your old data files then also need to go.)

FE

Comment

I have ATX-Max installed. Thanks

Comment

Heck I miss Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with DOS 6.2. I have Win 7 here at the office and it seems to work pretty good although the IE can be buggy. I still use XP Pro at home and am very happy with it. I'd give Win 8 a year to sort the bugs out.
                        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

XP to Windows 7

I have 8 year old dell with XP. Purchased new one with Windows 7. I have Tax Wise software. Reloaded original
                          2011 tax software and installed updates. Did a backup of XP data files and restored on windows 7. The files look
                          good on several that I checked. Waiting on 2012 software.

Comment

I'm still doing fine with XP. I'm sure the going will smooth out with Win 8 as you move into 2013.

Comment

Why is it that every new and "improved" computer operating system is worse than the last one? And why can't we all hang onto our old operating systems that work for us?

Comment

Working...
                              X