Some People...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Amen.

Giving is the only way to be in peace and happy. It can not be forced unto anyone and to find the key to someone's heart (so he/she might give) is another story.

As horrible as all the disasters are, it makes a lot of people going out of there way and open up their hearts. In this respect even disasters are a blessing.

Comment

Yeah, me too.

Originally posted by veritas

a marked increase in contributions this year. But it's mostly to Goodwill
      Seems like every other person that walks through the door has a handful of tickets from Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Abilities Unlimited.

Mostly the charities don't fill in any dollar amount--they leave it up to the giver to estimate. It seem to me that all the t/p estimates are very high and unrealistic. Those bags of clothes would probably bring maybe ten bucks each at a rummage sale rather than the $50 to $100 at which the t/p values them. Also that stove, appliance, stick of furniture, etc. which they label at $200 to $300 would go for $50 at best.

Still; guess I shouldn't complain. At least they're giving it to a worthy cause and it all ends up under $500 anyway because it isn't worth it get appraisals for modest donations.

Comment

Bart, as far as I know you only need appraisal if non-cash contribution exeeds $5,000.

What you need though, if over $500, is another receipt from charity stating that donor didn't receive anything in return.

Comment

I knew you guys were a GREAT bunch of people & your responses here confirmed it.

I also shake my head at my wealthy clients who give $100. I also have a few on the other extreme that can itemize due to charitable contributions without owning a house. Giving 15%+ of gross.

Another self employed couple giving 10%+ of their gross (before expenses). They are behind to the IRS & state (needing an installment plan) so I gently tried to convince them to perhaps cut back slightly.

Comment

Gabriele / KJ

Originally posted by Gabriele
            Bart, as far as I know you only need appraisal if non-cash contribution exeeds $5,000.

What you need though, if over $500, is another receipt from charity stating that donor didn't receive anything in return.
            Yeah; guess you're right, G. These things tend to run together on me. I just now re-read the stuff in Pub. 526 (Charitable Contributions)--well, sort of re-read it. For some reason, I can't ever make myself study it thoroughly--it's those repetitive steps, I think: 0 to $250, $250 to $500, $500 to $5,000, then over $5,000. And each one progresses to new rules plus all the rules in the lower categories. Basically they want a written list of the stuff and a "good faith" estimate of value in the lower group and, on up, in the higher categories, what it cost you, how you got it, what it's worth, etc., until the last one, like you say, an appraisal for the $5K and up stuff.

Problem is, nobody has that info or will bother with listing it. Others may differ--I haven't yet seen a "correct" list. Invariably, it's either just a client's note stating they gave 3 sacks of clothes to Goodwill or, at best, an "official" ticket from the charity listing that and a blank money-value section (although many of the tickets now state no services, etc. were provided in return). T/ps don't list how or where they got the stuff or their basis in it. About every fifth ticket, the charity will list money value on it. As to official appraisals--I have never seen one.

I don't think I'm missing much credit due on anybody though, because I've been to (and worked at) rummage sales, so I've got an idea what that stuff they're claiming actually brings at market. No way it's over $500 (at least not around here).

KJ / You've got a point. It seems like the older, wealthier clients tend to give less and the younger, less-affluent (and needier) clients are more idealistic and give a much larger percentage. I suppose after people have suffered "crosses and losses" with age, they become more conservative.

Comment

That was a very nice and

Originally posted by KJ Judd

I gently tried to convince them to perhaps cut back slightly.
              and decent thing for you to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Sova
                Part of my job is to judge people and make fun of them. Of course it is usually behind their back.
                Matt, I know what makes us do things like that. Have a good day.

Gabriele

Comment

Working...
                X