Clear All

Some People...

A quote I keep on my desk next to my real stainless steel slinky;

"Some people are like slinkies,
    Not really good for anything,
    But they still bring a smile to your face when you
    push them down a flight of stairs..."

Clients love it!

"I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Originally posted by Possi
    A quote I keep on my desk next to my real stainless steel slinky;

"Some people are like slinkies,
    Not really good for anything,
    But they still bring a smile to your face when you
    push them down a flight of stairs..."

Clients love it!

I LOOOOOOVE IT!!!!
    SueBaby

Comment

Don't Ya Now!

Thought it was time for more comic relief!!
      ~possi
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

I'm posting in this thread because the title ( "some people") fits. The client is retired, has a W-2 with $750 income and $49 federal tax withheld. Other than SS and a few dollars interest income, this was her total income. She brought in a box of medical receipts and sales tax receipts. She couldn't understand why she couldn't use all these receipts to get more than $49 back. All her friends get big refunds. I explained it to her at least 6 times, but I still don't think she understood.

Gary

Comment

Tell her that if she were to have the whole $750 of income withheld for federal taxes, then her refund could be as much as $750 next year.

Comment

estimates

Have her pay $2,500/qtr in estimates. That way her refund next year will be $10,000 higher.
            I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Itemize

But she'll still want to itemize!! She didn't save all those receipts for nothing.

Comment

Itemize

Tell her that by itemizing, her tax preparation fee will triple.

Comment

Well, I don't think it is our place to make fun of people.

It may be hard a times dealing with certain people, especially if it seems so clear and simple to us. But people (I am not excluding myself) have confused minds and some just do anything to get some bucks more. They certainly don't need our judgement.

Comment

Part of my job

Part of my job is to judge people and make fun of them. Of course it is usually behind their back.
                    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Sova
                      Part of my job is to judge people and make fun of them. Of course it is usually behind their back.
                      Boy, do we ever talk when they leave!!!!
                      SueBaby

Comment

Charitable Deductions

The only ones I really judge in my heart are the ones who make 200-600k and are making up charitable deductions. God's gonna get me on those!!

I was in SC last weekend and bellyaching to my brother about it. He said the average contribution according to some source, was $XXX and he was surprised it was so high. I told him what MINE was and he said, "Really? What kind of stuff do you give away that amounts to THAT?"
                        " C A S H."
                        He said, "Wow- So........where'd you get the RECEIPTS??"

Like I pick them up off the sidewalk or something! I'm harassing him into a SIZEABLE contribution to the MS society right now in honor of our sister!!

So much for tight-wallet clients... I have 'em in my own family...

Have a good one!
                        ~p

Comment

Charitable Deductions

Some people still have the nickles and dimes syndrome when it comes to giving to charitable organizations and church. I pastored a church in Lake Station, Michigan, and the pianist decided to pledge $50.00 a week to support her neighborhood church. He husband resisted that idea and asked her did she realized how much money that would add up to in a year's time. Although I pastored the church my wife and I contributed between $300 and $400 a month to support that church.

When we got ready to build a new church building the pianist's husband who was a commercial contractor was right there to get the contract. Needless to say the contract was not given to him but to a denomination related builder.

It ismy personal belief that no one can outgive the Lord. The blessings you receive will far outnumber what you contribute in money, time, talents and everything you have. This is the real reason for giving.

Now in my life I am going to be unable to itemize deductions. That will have nothing to do with my contributions. I once had an elderly couple who came to me to do their tax return. They had been told that the organ they purchased for their church would be tax deductible. It would have been if they had enough income to deduct the deductions. When their taxable income came to "0" their contributions made no difference to their tax return. The true value was in the blessings they received by making that gift.

Comment

Amen Brother!

I should copy your quote to my brother! I am blessed ABUNDANTLY by giving, and I don't mean with big business returns, either!
                            ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

I have seen a marked increase in contributions this year. But it's mostly to Goodwill. Had some katrina cash contributions. For the most part cash is not king when it comes to charity around these parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X